Mt Washington, New Hampshire

RichMalden

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT, 1970 MB 280SL
So I was bored today and decided to see how the Air did on a fairly steep mountain climb.

Mt Washington in New Hampshire is a 6,288 foot mountain with an 8 mile road to the summit. I was curious how much battery the climb would take.

The 8 mile trip up used 58 miles of range to finish. Of course the drive down recovered 34 miles for a net usage of 24 miles of range to travel 16 miles.

I thought that was pretty decent.

I was rewarded with a gorgeous view at the top of 100 miles. Only one other time I've been there was it that good. Often it is totally clouded over.

Temperature at the base was 60s and it was 34° at the summit. Small amounts of ice and snow up there.

PXL_20220917_145714172.MP.jpg
PXL_20220917_144927091.MP.jpg
PXL_20220917_142216517.MP.jpg
PXL_20220917_143634178.MP.jpg
PXL_20220917_192752537.MP.jpg

Awesome view; thanks for the great pictures. I've been up four times total - twice driving and twice on the cog train. Only once was the weather awful. Maybe I'll give it a whirl one day in my AGT.

So I was bored today and decided to see how the Air did on a fairly steep mountain climb.

Mt Washington in New Hampshire is a 6,288 foot mountain with an 8 mile road to the summit. I was curious how much battery the climb would take.

The 8 mile trip up used 58 miles of range to finish. Of course the drive down recovered 34 miles for a net usage of 24 miles of range to travel 16 miles.

I was rewarded with a gorgeous view at the top of 100 miles. Only one other time I've been there was it that good. Often it is totally clouded over.

Temperature at the base was 60s and it was 34° at the summit. Small amounts of ice and snow up there.

View attachment 4729View attachment 4730View attachment 4731View attachment 4732View attachment 4733
What beautiful pictures!!!!

View attachment 4729View attachment 4730View attachment 4731View attachment 4732View attachment 4733
Luicd on top of the world! Thanks for sharing the photos and the range info is very helpful!

I totally missed this post! Awesome drive and great photos, I didn’t get to go up the mountain when I was up there back in September cuz the wife and kid would have puked in the car haha. I’ll see you at the New England gathering later today!

Today my Lucid Air climbed a mountain. I drove up to the summit of Mount Greylock, the highest point in Massachusetts.

When I turned off the highway in North Adams, I was at 59% charge. 9.2 miles later, I had climbed 2800 feet burning 7% of my battery. On the way down, I gained 4% back, for a net of 3% to go 18 miles. Given the small numbers and probable rounding errors, I wouldn’t read too much into that implied 5mi/kWh. Nonetheless, I was impressed that the car was fun on the curvy mountain road, didn’t notice the steep grade on the way up, and I didn’t have to touch the brakes on the way down, just used regen. I got to ignore all of the signs about low gear and engine braking.

As with many places I go, there was no cell service for much of the day. I was expecting this and played from my cell phone where I had loaded material in advance. I did discover that the Lucid nav would not route me home from the summit without cell service, even though I had supposedly already downloaded the state map for offline use.

Today my Lucid Air climbed a mountain. I drove up to the summit of Mount Greylock, the highest point in Massachusetts.

When I turned off the highway in North Adams, I was at 59% charge. 9.2 miles later, I had climbed 2800 feet burning 7% of my battery. On the way down, I gained 4% back, for a net of 3% to go 18 miles. Given the small numbers and probable rounding errors, I wouldn’t read too much into that implied 5mi/kWh. Nonetheless, I was impressed that the car was fun on the curvy mountain road, didn’t notice the steep grade on the way up, and I didn’t have to touch the brakes on the way down, just used regen. I got to ignore all of the signs about low gear and engine braking.

As with many places I go, there was no cell service for much of the day. I was expecting this and played from my cell phone where I had loaded material in advance. I did discover that the Lucid nav would not route me home from the summit without cell service, even though I had supposedly already downloaded the state map for offline use.
You have to explicitly put the maps in offline mode for it to route you using the offline maps.

You have to explicitly put the maps in offline mode for it to route you using the offline maps.
I tried that, and it gave me an error about downloading maps first. Which I have done in the past, but maybe a firmware update dumped them? I will check again today.

Been up to the top of Mt Washington several times. Never on 4 wheels though. Once hiking and a handful of times on my motorcycle. Great pictures!

I’m in NH this week, tempted to drive up there for fun if I can make the time …

I tried that, and it gave me an error about downloading maps first. Which I have done in the past, but maybe a firmware update dumped them? I will check again today.
Sure enough, there were no downloaded maps, even though I have done that before (and changed them several times as we have traveled. I don't know when they disappeared, but I have loaded them again.

That's a great drive up and great views. The lucid still feels very wide to me and that'll probably make me a tad nervous with the drop offs, my itchy-ness with heights and oncoming traffic on those narrow roads.

Hoping to make it up there before they close it for the year.

Back