Motortrend's yearlong Air review ends!

Owning an i4, I trust you know what consistent behavior means, I’m shocked! You’re telling me the lucid proximity works just as well as BMWs? You can walk up to your lucid trunk, press the trunk release button and expect it to open on the first try? This never works for me, I usually have to walk around to the side of the car so a dance and then doors open and THEN I can open the trunk
I have to wait a few seconds, and then can open. Could be better, but not a big deal. I’m sure it will be improved. Tesla software spoiled everyone.

Owning an i4, I trust you know what consistent behavior means, I’m shocked! You’re telling me the lucid proximity works just as well as BMWs? You can walk up to your lucid trunk, press the trunk release button and expect it to open on the first try? This never works for me, I usually have to walk around to the side of the car do a dance and then doors open and THEN I can open the trunk
I’m talking about proximity success as it relates to the fob. I don’t use mobile key. Using the fob this way, yes, it works almost all the time. But to be fair, most of the time, if I’m opening the trunk, I’m not approaching from the rear.

I’m talking about proximity success as it relates to the fob. I don’t use mobile key. Using the fob this way, yes, it works almost all the time
well @Bobby just clarified it's not supposed to work with the fob, so by definition, it's not as good as your BMW, got it.

well @Bobby just clarified it's not supposed to work with the fob, so by definition, it's not as good as your BMW, got it.
Huh? You read his post wrong. He said the mobile key doesn’t work like that. I don’t use the mobile key. It most certainly does work with the fob. Remember proximity unlocks the doors by the time I get to the car anyway.

No offence, but shouldn't he be able to decide that based on his needs?

It is a bit weird that it can't open the trunk independently, though. I would have assumed the antenna had the required range to do that.

Huh? You read his post wrong. He said the mobile key doesn’t work like that. I don’t use the mobile key. It most certainly does work with the fob. Remember proximity unlocks the doors by the time I get to the car anyway.
key fob and mobile key work the same way. That's why there are so many complaints. I use both and they both have the same performance and delayed opening. The same antennas are receptors to both, and both work on BT band.

Personally I've had no more trouble opening the trunk than any of the other doors with either fob or mobile key. I keep reading about this approach-from-behind issue, but never experienced it with my own car. It does all need some work - the car is slightly too slow to wake, the mobile key (iphone) itself is too slow to wake/negotiate - but my trunk is no worse than my doors. At this point I have proximity unlock off (because I don't want the handles/mirrors flinging out constantly) and I carry a fob, which means unless I'm carrying groceries, I just push a door handle to unlock. It works reliably, it just takes maybe 2 seconds longer than I'd like.

key fob and mobile key work the same way. That's why there are so many complaints. I use both and they both have the same performance and delayed opening. The same antennas are receptors to both, and both work on BT band.
There’s also a big variation in the success different owners have. What can I tell you, mine works and I don’t feel guilty about it. :)

Owning an i4, I trust you know what consistent behavior means, I’m shocked! You’re telling me the lucid proximity works just as well as BMWs? You can walk up to your lucid trunk, press the trunk release button and expect it to open on the first try? This never works for me, I usually have to walk around to the side of the car do a dance and then doors open and THEN I can open the trunk
Uhhh yeah, that's how it works for me.

You may be technically correct here but I think the fob might have a stronger Bluetooth signal emanating from it than the phone. Or something technical like that. I found the fob range to be superior to the mobile key. That said, I don’t want to carry an extra item so I still use mobile key.

Uhhh yeah, that's how it works for me.
i'm just saying...my car doesn't work that way. The two loaners i've had also don't work that way. Like bobby says, you have to walk around the car to the doors in order for it to detect the presence of the fob/mobile key.

Anyway, i'm glad you and @Lucken got the extra antenna options for free from the factory! :)

As someone with a 9/22 delivery and 32K miles on it including two winters - I have had zero of the major issues (other than keyfob). Never been stranded.

I haven’t used my key fob in a very, very long time. I did take it out once because I was going to a place that had valet. Other than that, never. My mobile key works very well. I do keep the key card in my wallet as a back up, but haven’t pulled it out in a long time.
It is not a function of trusting or not trusting the car; it is a function of trusting or not trusting the phone. I don't trust my phone to always work, not run out of juice, etc. The digital key function has always worked for me but the one time the phone failed, I don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere in 115 degree heat.

It is not a function of trusting or not trusting the car; it is a function of trusting or not trusting the phone. I don't trust my phone to always work, not run out of juice, etc. The digital key function has always worked for me but the one time the phone failed, I don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere in 115 degree heat.
Hence the key card.

Reactions: DBV
Which I have started carrying in an allegedly signal blocking sleeve. I am working my trust level up.
Don't know about your GV60 keycard, but Lucid's at least has an authentication handshake. You can't just stand next to someone in an elevator and trivially copy their key like with some older hotel keys and whatnot. I may have tried. With my own, of course.

Don't know about your GV60 keycard, but Lucid's at least has an authentication handshake. You can't just stand next to someone in an elevator and trivially copy their key like with some older hotel keys and whatnot. I may have tried. With my own, of course.
I am more concerned about signals between fob, key card and phone badly interacting with each other.

I am more concerned about signals between fob, key card and phone badly interacting with each other.
Ah, NFC and RFID tags like what’s in keycards are powered inductively by the reader, like phone wireless chargers. They won’t do anything except at very close range, as in millimeters.

People keep fighting the fob, jumping through hoops, unpairing and repairing their phones, shaking their phones, for what, just to leave a nearly weightless, tiny fob at home? I use the fob, only the fob, and never have an issue, ‘it just works’. I love tech, but only when it makes sense and actually makes my life easier, not harder.

Back