Mobile key optimal function advice?

Also, assuming you have an iPhone: make sure you set up Find My on that phone. That way, if you do lose it, or it gets stolen, you can use another computer to set the phone into recovery mode. That will shut down all Bluetooth communication and ensure the phone is auto-erased if the thief attempts to unlock it.
This is the most important point in the conversation!!

Also, assuming you have an iPhone: make sure you set up Find My on that phone. That way, if you do lose it, or it gets stolen, you can use another computer to set the phone into recovery mode. That will shut down all Bluetooth communication and ensure the phone is auto-erased if the thief attempts to unlock it.
This is generally great life advice.

There has been a lot of complaining by owners and in the media about the way the doors lock and unlock. I gave this some thought today. I wish Lucid would significantly expand the settings menu in the car to allow much more control and personalization of the interface. For locking and unlocking, I wish that there were a setting in the car like this:

Keyfob/Mobile Key settings:
(1) FULL AUTO - unlock/lock automatically based on proximity,
(2) AUTO LOCK/TOUCH UNLOCK - unlock by touching a door handle, lock automatically based on proximity,
(3) AUTO UNLOCK/TOUCH LOCK - lock by touching a door handle, unlock automatically based on proximity,
(4) TOUCH ONLY - unlock/lock only by touching a door handle.

Unlock Setting:
(1) ALL DOORS
(2) DRIVERS'S DOOR ONLY

The car already has the hardware built-in for all of these. Then each of us could pick our favorite method and go from there. Personally, I would choose #2.

There has been a lot of complaining by owners and in the media about the way the doors lock and unlock. I gave this some thought today. I wish Lucid would significantly expand the settings menu in the car to allow much more control and personalization of the interface. For locking and unlocking, I wish that there were a setting in the car like this:

Keyfob/Mobile Key settings:
(1) FULL AUTO - unlock/lock automatically based on proximity,
(2) AUTO LOCK/TOUCH UNLOCK - unlock by touching a door handle, lock automatically based on proximity,
(3) AUTO UNLOCK/TOUCH LOCK - lock by touching a door handle, unlock automatically based on proximity,
(4) TOUCH ONLY - unlock/lock only by touching a door handle.

Unlock Setting:
(1) ALL DOORS
(2) DRIVERS'S DOOR ONLY

The car already has the hardware built-in for all of these. Then each of us could pick our favorite method and go from there. Personally, I would choose #2.
I’d take (4) - Touch only and (1) - All doors. That’s how my last couple cars worked and I’m comfortable with it. I like the immediate confirmation that I’ve locked (no need to look back to see if it is locked) and happy to just touch the handle to unlock.

Reactions: raj
<grumble>

This wheel didn’t need reinvention. I’ll be that guy and say most manufacturers figured out keyless entry 10+ years ago. Depending on who you ask, the Lucid key system is either flawless, or anxious puppy, or leaves you standing in the rain, or is responsible for vampire drain. The number and nature of the workarounds proposed here, depending on which combination of behaviors one experiences, is bordering on absurd. And I’ll posit that it’s not the modes of operation that are the problem, but the means chosen to execute them. A key should just work, full stop. I would pay real money to have the car retrofitted with a keyless system that is as consistent and reliable as my other cars. I shouldn’t have to offer that, but I’ll be damned if this system hasn’t been the one ‘WTF were they thinking?’ decision that Lucid has made.

Key fob – If I didn’t need it to wake up the car or put to sleep I would use if for mantel decorative piece. It is very attractive. Since the shape is pleasing I could use it when I’m meditating. Basic ergonomics “if you have a button you want me to push Identify it, don’t make me guess where it is. When I have been good, and pushed the button reward me with an auditory sound or tactile feedback. If I want to open the trunk or frunk I need to retrieve my telephone callup the app and push the button. Haven’t found the code to signal car that I want to know where it is. This is a case of design for beauty not usability.

Design specs for a useful fob

• Lock/unlock car.
  • Find car in a parking lot.
  • Open trunk.
  • Open frunk.
  • Open charging port(?)
  • Clearly identifiable buttons to accomplish above. (no codes, multiple clicks, secret signs). Hands are full of groceries. Button should provide feedback when task is accomplished.
  • Small enough to fit in mans pocked w/o large lump
Simplicity is a virtue

Key fob – If I didn’t need it to wake up the car or put to sleep I would use if for mantel decorative piece. It is very attractive. Since the shape is pleasing I could use it when I’m meditating. Basic ergonomics “if you have a button you want me to push Identify it, don’t make me guess where it is. When I have been good, and pushed the button reward me with an auditory sound or tactile feedback. If I want to open the trunk or frunk I need to retrieve my telephone callup the app and push the button. Haven’t found the code to signal car that I want to know where it is. This is a case of design for beauty not usability.

Design specs for a useful fob

• Lock/unlock car.
  • Find car in a parking lot.
  • Open trunk.
  • Open frunk.
  • Open charging port(?)
  • Clearly identifiable buttons to accomplish above. (no codes, multiple clicks, secret signs). Hands are full of groceries. Button should provide feedback when task is accomplished.
  • Small enough to fit in mans pocked w/o large lump
Simplicity is a virtue
I’ve owned a lot of cars and describing the Lucid Key fob as anything other than a horrible attempt to reinvent the wheel and a horrible implementation in my experience over the last 18 months is disingenuous. With either the Fob or phone the car alternates from not unlocking when I am standing next to it to locking and unlocking over and over when I am 20 feet away. Flawless does not mean it sometimes unlocks at 20‘ away, sometimes not until multiple presses of the handle while standing in the rain. Both fob and phone are awful at detecting when you are standing at the trunk. I’ve spent the last 16 days on a road trip in a 2023 GMC Sierra. That 5 button fob and proximity based lock are flawless. It unlocks every time as expected and locks proximity based at the same distance every time. Any rental car I get down to a KIA is better. As soon as you use the word “usually” or “most of the time” to describe operation, it is not flawless. I expect the truck to open as soon as I touch the button, I expect the car to unlock as I am reaching for the handle. Not 20’ away, not after a few seconds, not after I press the handle, not after I have to press the button on the fob, or wake my phone. Homelink implementation and lock / unlock remain awful. In my opinion this is inexcusable as lock/unlock is unavoidable, and homelink is used daily by most owners, or would be if it didn’t suck so bad. How many Lucid owners have a garage door remote on the visor or are using an alternate method to close garage door vs the Lucid implementation? Personally I’m not interested in work arounds, I’m interested in Lucid making improvements.

The mobile key in terms of its reliability is supremely frustrating to me. It’s Murphy’s law, as when I approach to take my other vehicle (parked adjacent and which doesn’t have any mobile key component), the Lucid invariably opens up. If I’m not planning to take the other car, half the time it won’t unlock until I either open the app (and wait) or press the handle in several times.

Wanting to find a scientific / logical explanation, I wondered if the key fob from my other car may be playing a role. E.g. is it sending some sort of signal that “primes” or awakens the Lucid to be prepared for a mobile key?

I can’t explain why that would happen, but it’s definitely easier to have the Lucid unlock when I have the key to my other car.

The mobile key in terms of its reliability is supremely frustrating to me. It’s Murphy’s law, as when I approach to take my other vehicle (parked adjacent and which doesn’t have any mobile key component), the Lucid invariably opens up. If I’m not planning to take the other car, half the time it won’t unlock until I either open the app (and wait) or press the handle in several times.

Wanting to find a scientific / logical explanation, I wondered if the key fob from my other car may be playing a role. E.g. is it sending some sort of signal that “primes” or awakens the Lucid to be prepared for a mobile key?

I can’t explain why that would happen, but it’s definitely easier to have the Lucid unlock when I have the key to my other car.
Delete it and use the fob.

I've heard from service that inconsistent locking/unlock could be due to the key antennae being loose and wriggling out or back into place in between drives. Just a culprit to check if you have the car in for service. But like @Bobby said, use the FOB.

Most of the new cars will wake up when you come near them ( not unlock) and do a light show. I think the reason Lucid implemented the unlock is because a lot of people would not know that pushing the door handles unlocks the door. Another thing I noticed is that lucid handle is fully electronic unlock incl the feedback. If your are impatient and try to open as soon as the handles pop ( mobile key) it would not unlock until you allow around a second or 2 for the electronic unlock to be activated

Delete it and use the fob.
If you delete the mobile key, will that impact Apple Car Play? Will that affect use of the Lucid App on th3 phone?

No. Those are unaffected.
that said, it will require that I always take/use the FOB. If I do, do you believe the car will respond sooner and faster to unlock when approaching the car? Additional question .... Does the car respond to the mobile key based on cellular service, Bluetooth or satellite?While I have your attention, I am having issues with ACP not connecting or connecting but not performing any functions ...weather, music, nav, etc. I am told that ACP performance is based on the strength of my cellular service, which BTW is Verizon. When I have ACP issues, I turn off ACP and go back to Lucid systems and everything works fine. Is that because Lucid functions depend on AT&T service? Thanks.

I have 100% success with the mobile key. I never carry the fob.

On my Tesla I have auto-present turned off. I need to touch the handle to open. This is to avoid it opening by simply walking thru the garage. Can the Air do the same?

On my Tesla I have auto-present turned off. I need to touch the handle to open. This is to avoid it opening my simply walking thru the garage. Can the Air do the same?
With the 2.1.2 update, yes. If you haven't received it yet you will get it within a week or so.

Back