Miami Test Drive of GT

I just got back from my test drive and here are my thoughts/comments. I reserved a Pure in December 2021.

I have driven a Model 3 Performance for over 2 years so I'm well versed on electric driving and blistering acceleration. My initial impression is this car looks way better in person than a photo. It's large and has a commanding presence, especially from the front quarter angel. My test vehicle was white and already had about 7k miles on it from test drives that have gone on since March.

My sales contact told me as we walked up to the car that he had a disclaimer that this was actually technically still a pre-production car, which I was a bit disappointed about and caught me off guard. As a result, it was a bit buggy in the software. For example, for nearly the entire drive, the software thought the frunk was open and sounded a chime that didn't go away until about 15 minutes into the ride. I know it was a software issue because the frunk was definitely closed and on the around view camera it had the frunk in the open position. Now that I think about it, I wonder if this was indeed a final production but due to the software glitch they're saying it's preproduction. It looked final to me, especially compared to the definite pre production model they've had in showroom since last year and I know from reading on here that software is the weak link even on the real deal.

In any event, the drive itself was pretty great. Good throttle response in all modes, and full regen braking did the trick, although it actually felt slightly less intense than the M3P (maybe because this is a much heavier car?). Compared to the model 3, the frunk hood comes up much higher so I'm used to a more open view ahead (my mid-engine Boxster I had prior to the M3P also had a hood that dropped off as well). So the view forward was a little tighter for me and I do wonder what it will feel like with the metal roof. The A pillar is also very thick and a bit obtrusive when you look to the left, although I might've just needed to adjust my seat differently. It was nice to have a speedo directly ahead. Although I'm used to the Tesla's off to the right, it is definitely safer having it in direct view, no question. The speedo regen graphic is a nice touch as well to show how much battery and regen you're getting at any given time. The vehicle is heavy, and you can feel it. The upside is it feels very planted around corners and at high speeds (I hit 95 at an appropriate point as the dealer told me anything over 100 and it pings corporate ;) .

The vehicle itself is huge on the inside. Plenty of room for back seat occupants and children. The trunk is clamshell and also wide and deep, if not a bit short in height. The benefit to the high hood line is the frunk is large, way larger than the model 3 and actually useful. The sales guy told me the Pure may not have an electric frunk (do we know that for sure?).

The screens themselves look super sharp and high quality. The one consistent downside was the lag on the graphics. The turn signal cameras worked but only sometimes and you're basically done with your lane change by the time the camera activates. The around view camera (not available on the Pure is my understanding unless you get dream drive pro) is nice but not a Lucid exclusive by any means. The actual rear camera seems sharp but almost too sharp for the processor's abilities...a bit jumpy and laggy. That was the common trend in the UI: sharp but laggy. The best way I can describe it is using an iPad vs. an Amazon Fire Tablet. If you've used both, you know exactly what I mean (or, alternatively, an Apple TV vs. basically any competitor). The Tesla has the fluidity of an Apple product, Lucid doesn't (yet). It's like a computer that needs a restart.

The upgraded audio sounded good to my ears. The vehicle had dream drive pro but of course there wasn't any smart driving really enabled. No timetable on regular dream drive hands off wheel lane keeping. I think they are going to have trouble converting Tesla drivers if they can't get at least close to on par with Autopilot. It's a huge selling point for them and if Lucid is touting all of their cameras, Lidar etc., they've gotta get that up and running soon.

One other noticeable issue: the steering wheel sounded like creaking plastic when you turned it. Not a good look. Hopefully they will iron out the issue by the time the Pure are on sale.

That's the gist of it. I'm still interested after the drive and growing pains are to be expected, especially for early adopters like us.

Feel free to ask any other questions as I'm sure I've forgotten some things.

Last edited:
I know it was a software issue because the frunk was definitely closed
No, it doesn't have to be software. I had picked up my Lucid in early May and it took two attempts at Millbrae to get the issue fixed. This issue was right there during delivery and they made a note of it. Yes, the frunk was definitely closed.
1. First attempt involved reseating the frunk seal and that did make the issue go away for some time but it came right back.
2. Second attempt involved replacing the cinch motors. Issue seems to be resolved for now.

One other noticeable issue: the steering wheel sounded like creaking plastic when you turned it. Not a good look.
That seems to be a lot more common. There have been other members on this forum who has complained about that. I had raised this issue with Lucid and I believe they have ordered a new steering wheel (will take a couple of months!).

No, it doesn't have to be software. I had picked up my Lucid in early May and it took two attempts at Millbrae to get the issue fixed. This issue was right there during delivery and they made a note of it. Yes, the frunk was definitely closed.
1. First attempt involved reseating the frunk seal and that did make the issue go away for some time but it came right back.
2. Second attempt involved replacing the cinch motors. Issue seems to be resolved for now.

That seems to be a lot more common. There have been other members on this forum who has complained about that. I had raised this issue with Lucid and I believe they have ordered a new steering wheel (will take a couple of months!).

Fair enough. I guess it could be the physical latch or whatnot. The sales guy was pretty embarrassed about it but I tried not to focus on that during my time in the car.

For example, for nearly the entire drive, the software thought the frunk was open and sounded a chime that didn't go away until about 15 minutes into the ride. I know it was a software issue because the frunk was definitely closed and on the around view camera it had the frunk in the open position. Now that I think about it, I wonder if this was indeed a final production but due to the software glitch they're saying it's preproduction.

First of all, I commend you did a great comprehensive review.

I also had that frunk couldn’t close warning, but it looked closed. I found the way to fix it is by pressing hood harder to make the latch click. I brought it to SC, and they fixed it, I don’t know how they fixed it, but it is now working correctly.

In retrospect, I know how I got that frunk warning signal. It started right after first time I took Air to extensive car wash after my PPF installation. The cleaner opened the hood to vacuum my frunk, but instead of use physical button inside the frunk to close the hood or many other ways to close it, the cleaner just force close it against the soft hydraulic arm. After that the latch somehow couldn’t click. I can imagine in show room car or test drive car, new users don’t know how to close the hood but use traditional manual way to cause this minor issue.

You can close frunk by 1) inside frunk button 2) control panel button 3) fob long press 4) mobile app 5) tell Alexa in cabin to close it 6) remotely tell Srini or Google to close it on phone.

First of all, I commend you did a great comprehensive review.

I also had that frunk couldn’t close warning, but it looked closed. I found the way to fix it is by pressing hood harder to make the latch click. I brought it to SC, and they fixed it, I don’t know how they fixed it, but it is now working correctly.

In retrospect, I know how I got that frunk warning signal. It started right after first time I took Air to extensive car wash after my PPF installation. The cleaner opened the hood to vacuum my frunk, but instead of use physical button inside the frunk to close the hood or many other ways to close it, the cleaner just force close it against the soft hydraulic arm. After that the latch somehow couldn’t click. I can imagine in show room car or test drive car, new users don’t know how to close the hood but use traditional manual way to cause this minor issue.

You can close frunk by 1) inside frunk button 2) control panel button 3) fob long press 4) mobile app 5) tell Alexa in cabin to close it 6) remotely tell Srini or Google to close it on phone.
Thank you, sir! It was a bit stream of consciousness but I wrote it as soon as I got home. I suspect you may be correct re the Frunk and it being somewhat abused as a tester.

I test drove a preproduction GT recently as well and was generally pleased. Noticed no creaks or rattles at all, from the steering wheel or elsewhere, despite the less than perfect roads, and I am really sensitive to that sort of thing. The ride on 19" wheels was smoother than my Mercedes E-class on 18" wheels (no air suspension).

My preferred steering wheel position blocked the turn signal camera images anyway, so I guess I won't miss that if it doesn't come with vanilla DreamDrive. Visibility from the driver's seat is worse than my current E-class but nothing disastrous. The dashboard stitching on the Tahoe interior reflected prominently in the windshield on that sunny day and seems like it would be hard to get used to - hence IMHO Mojave is the interior to get.

The floor in the back was too high for my fairly short girlfriend - and if she felt that way I would imagine taller passengers really wouldn't like it - so that further validates my plan to get a Touring.

I wish Lucid would just make one GT, Touring, and Pure for each studio. That only about 20 cars each. Then test driving would be so much easier. Then go back to making the cars in the order they are doing them.

I wish Lucid would just make one GT, Touring, and Pure for each studio. That only about 20 cars each. Then test driving would be so much easier. Then go back to making the cars in the order they are doing them.
I’m not sure if they have fully finalized some of the specs for the Pure yet (or if they have they haven’t told the showrooms). I would love to be able to see / sit in a metal-roofed Air sooner rather than later. Based on comments on these forums about the relatively high “waistline” sitting in the car (not unusual for modern cars) I’m a little concerned about it feeling a bit claustrophobic without the glass roof.

I think the studios are claiming "this is a pre-production model" as an excuse for anything that is currently wrong with the car. I first saw the car at the meatpacking studio in NYC where no one in the studio would talk to me, then later saw the Boston studio after it opened and was told they had a pre-production car. I didn't want to reserve before a test drive, so I stopped at the Miami studio while on a trip to drive the car. In both Boston and Miami I was told the cars were pre-production, and that they ran "slightly modified software" to facilitate the showroom scenario. One of the doors in the Miami studio had trouble closing, and in Boston the soft-close had apparently been disabled. Seems weird to me.

As for the test drive car in Miami, it was probably the same one described above. I didn't notice the steering wheel creak back in May, and there was no problem with the frunk closing at that time either. Isn't that white beautiful? I'd never normally want a white car, but that depth is so incredible :) Ultimately I went with the QG/Tahoe that was in the showroom though. The drive was enough to convince me to confirm my order.

One would think that any car company would have their newest updated and finest cars in the show rooms to show the public.

I think the studios are claiming "this is a pre-production model" as an excuse for anything that is currently wrong with the car. I first saw the car at the meatpacking studio in NYC where no one in the studio would talk to me, then later saw the Boston studio after it opened and was told they had a pre-production car. I didn't want to reserve before a test drive, so I stopped at the Miami studio while on a trip to drive the car. In both Boston and Miami I was told the cars were pre-production, and that they ran "slightly modified software" to facilitate the showroom scenario. One of the doors in the Miami studio had trouble closing, and in Boston the soft-close had apparently been disabled. Seems weird to me.

As for the test drive car in Miami, it was probably the same one described above. I didn't notice the steering wheel creak back in May, and there was no problem with the frunk closing at that time either. Isn't that white beautiful? I'd never normally want a white car, but that depth is so incredible :) Ultimately I went with the QG/Tahoe that was in the showroom though. The drive was enough to convince me to confirm my order.
The car in the Meatpacking District Studio is definitely preproduction. Has to be, because it’s Silver. Also, the matte finish on the silver bits on the roof give it away.

Neither the studio nor the test drive car at Denver’s Cherry Creek is preproduction. And no one there claims they are.

I really think it’s a matter of how old the studio is and when they got their floor cars.

Guy in New York told me they are expecting a replacement studio car that is production soon. I’d bet all of the studios will get rid of their preproduction models by the end of the year.

The car in the Meatpacking District Studio is definitely preproduction. Has to be, because it’s Silver. Also, the matte finish on the silver bits on the roof give it away.

Neither the studio nor the test drive car at Denver’s Cherry Creek is preproduction. And no one there claims they are.

I really think it’s a matter of how old the studio is and when they got their floor cars.

Guy in New York told me they are expecting a replacement studio car that is production soon. I’d bet all of the studios will get rid of their preproduction models by the end of the year.
They have rotated the cars out and around to the studios so that customers can see different options. San Diego had a Grey/Mojave pre-production when the studio opened Back in December. Then this spring it was replaced with White/Tahoe regular one. They said the Grey one went to another studio.. Of course that new white studio car is now broken. Some customer forced closed the frunk hood and broke the struts so now the frunk won’t open. You can actually see the damage on the frunk where the damaged strut made bubble dent on the hood.

They never had a pre-production model for test drives. They had a second White/Tahoe delivered at the same time they received the the white studio one for test drives. Now they have a second Red/Tahoe for test drives as well.

Coincidentally I was on the way to Manhattan to take my son to tag along my business trip during his spring break, my VIN got assigned. I went to Meatpacking district first time to do Lucid HW first hand. I was told that the silver model in showroom was a preproduction car, the system was shut off, I didn’t see get to play with software user interface. But I was quite marveled by interior cabin. I saw a white AGT and gold DE outside studio circling around the block with a dozen gentleman in suits waiting to get in and out. I wanted get in for the ride feel. They told me they couldn’t accommodate as it was showing a private corporate booking. Those 2 AGT and DE look so stellar from sidewalk, it garnered a lot of attention in Chelsea area. The studio staff did offer us to come back next day for the virtual reality ride tour as we walked in merely 30 minutes before end of day business hours. My son and I took a lot of pictures. It was a coolaid experience and boosted my confident buying car online first time.

Coincidentally I was on the way to Manhattan to take my son to tag along my business trip during his spring break, my VIN got assigned. I went to Meatpacking district first time to do Lucid HW first hand. I was told that the silver model in showroom was a preproduction car, the system was shut off, I didn’t see get to play with software user interface. But I was quite marveled by interior cabin. I saw a white AGT and gold DE outside studio circling around the block with a dozen gentleman in suits waiting to get in and out. I wanted get in for the ride feel. They told me they couldn’t accommodate as it was showing a private corporate booking. Those 2 AGT and DE look so stellar from sidewalk, it garnered a lot of attention in Chelsea area. The studio staff did offer us to come back next day for the virtual reality ride tour as we walked in merely 30 minutes before end of day business hours. My son and I took a lot of pictures. It was a coolaid experience and boosted my confident buying car online first time.
Yeah I know that car. Mariam my awesome DA showed me the car, it was actually one of the first pre-production GT ever made. She said they often have to have service people do things to it, but assured me the production model had most of those things solved/features enabled, and that was proven to be true when she delivered my car. The silver looks great doesn’t it? Don’t worry about the stuff wrong/not enabled on the meat packing car, it still gives an accurate impression of interior/exterior and interface.

Back