Lucid Sanctuaries

dchesrown

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
2023 BMW M2, 1994 W124
Should be easy enough to add thus feature to air. I would like to have it.

Should be easy enough to add thus feature to air. I would like to have it.

The Glass Cockpit (i.e., the long upper screen) in the Air is composed of three screens, not one as in the Gravity. So I don't think the Air could display8 the unbroken panoramic image.

The Glass Cockpit (i.e., the long upper screen) in the Air is composed of three screens, not one as in the Gravity. So I don't think the Air could display8 the unbroken panoramic image.
That was my original thought. Even if it was possible, it would probably look weird.

I don’t think it’ll look weird at all. Not as nice, but not weird.

The sanctuary stuff (with the meditation, etc) I absolutely expect to see in Air eventually. At least some form of it.

I don’t think it’ll look weird at all. Not as nice, but not weird.

The sanctuary stuff (with the meditation, etc) I absolutely expect to see in Air eventually. At least some form of it.

I'm not sure whether we're discussing updating current Airs with this feature or putting it in future Airs that will perhaps adopt the 6K single-panel screen used in the Gravity.

I think it's a no-brainer for future Airs, but I'm less convinced about current Airs. The Gravity screen is touch sensitive across its entire surface. The current Air screen's middle panel is not. I don't know if that makes any difference about what is technically feasible.

I'm not sure whether we're discussing updating current Airs with this feature or putting it in future Airs that will perhaps adopt the 6K single-panel screen used in the Gravity.

I think it's a no-brainer for future Airs, but I'm less convinced about current Airs. The Gravity screen is touch sensitive across its entire surface. The current Air screen's middle panel is not. I don't know if that makes any difference about what is technically feasible.
Someday in the distant future the Air will get that single screen. But I’m talking about our current Airs.

It’s fairly trivial to sync video content across different screens. The Lucid presentation at the LA auto show had a wide central screen that was actually two screens stitched together. (I know because it got out of sync at one point, showing misaligned content on the right half.)

And there’s nothing that requires touch in the scenes portion of the sanctuary feature. It’s just video of various places around California.

If anything prevents Sanctuary on the current Air, it would be the processors in the various computers. But I’m guessing that chip can handle some video content across three smallish screens.

The bits from Gravity we won’t get on Air are the steering wheel controls. Being able to quick jump to favorites without taking your hands off the wheel. That sort of thing. Since we lack the physical controls. And anything that requires advanced processing power.

I think these major changes to Air display panels and layout might happen in subsequent generations, but doubt there are going to do a redesign for quite awhile. Any attempt at sanctuary or ambient themes would be OTA tweaks with current layout. For now we have to assume all major creative Lucid energies are devoted towards getting the Gravity into final refinement and production, followed by other projects... The Air will continue to get refinements by OTA along the way.

I think these major changes to Air display panels and layout might happen in subsequent generations, but doubt there are going to do a redesign for quite awhile. Any attempt at sanctuary or ambient themes would be OTA tweaks with current layout. For now we have to assume all major creative Lucid energies are devoted towards getting the Gravity into final refinement and production, followed by other projects... The Air will continue to get refinements by OTA along the way.
The software team will definitely spend the bulk of their time over the next year prepping for Gravity’s software to be complete, no doubt. But that trickle down to the Air might not take as long as you think. The UX folks told me they are designing Gravity with an eye towards what will also still be possible to translate back to the Air. And everyone I spoke to on the software team was adamant that they are by no means “done” with the Air’s software. They very much want to keep that ball moving forward.

For now we have to assume all major creative Lucid energies are devoted towards getting the Gravity into final refinement and production, followed by other projects... The Air will continue to get refinements by OTA along the way.

I'm never getting android auto lol

The software team will definitely spend the bulk of their time over the next year prepping for Gravity’s software to be complete, no doubt. But that trickle down to the Air might not take as long as you think. The UX folks told me they are designing Gravity with an eye towards what will also still be possible to translate back to the Air. And everyone I spoke to on the software team was adamant that they are by no means “done” with the Air’s software. They very much want to keep that ball moving forward.
Really glad to hear that. Makes perfect sense because it would be better for them to release new features to the fleet over the next year, rather than launching a completely new UX all at once to the Gravity. We all know how it worked out the first time, so better for them to take advantage of the thousands of cars on the road to ensure that the Gravity UX is fleet tested on day 1.

Just to piggyback on what @joec said, I haven't spoken with anyone from Lucid and I don't have the type of insight he has, but at the LA Auto Show, Kyle Conner was able to sit in the Gravity with David Flynt who leads or is part of the UI design team at Lucid. They discussed the Gravity UI and talked some about the Air. From about 27:38 to 31:10 of this video David talks about how a lot of focus is still on the Air and figuring how to take things they are designing for Gravity and make them work for the Air. In fact, he states that "real" multi-tasking will be in the Gravity and will be brought to the Air at some point. Another interesting thing he says is when we got an update in the Air that showed the route on the right side of the instrument cluster, that actually came from Gravity design. So, it sounds to me like the Air is still a major focus and won't get left behind while they are focusing on Gravity.

I would hope the team is developing one UX with a fork in the design for the two vehicles. It seems odd to develop two UX in tandem. Meaning 3.0 simply has two flavors or branches rather than two entirely different software streams. To me it would make sense to roll out 3.0 to the Airs a few months prior to dropping it for gravity to let us hammer out the bugs that are in the shared code.

I would hope the team is developing one UX with a fork in the design for the two vehicles. It seems odd to develop two UX in tandem. Meaning 3.0 simply has two flavors or branches rather than two entirely different software streams. To me it would make sense to roll out 3.0 to the Airs a few months prior to dropping it for gravity to let us hammer out the bugs that are in the shared code.
Lucid MUST avoid launching the gravity with software that is like UX 1.0. Those days already dragged Lucid's name through mud, and they cannot afford to make it any worse.

The software stack is entirely different; it's not simply an upgrade. It is a different codebase, and unfortunately that was a necessary change, I'm told - on the upside, Gravity should be spectacularly set with regard to software.

Lucid MUST avoid launching the gravity with software that is like UX 1.0. Those days already dragged Lucid's name through mud, and they cannot afford to make it any worse.
I wouldn't stress about that for Gravity.

The software stack is entirely different; it's not simply an upgrade. It is a different codebase, and unfortunately that was a necessary change, I'm told - on the upside, Gravity should be spectacularly set with regard to software.
Wow I'm really surprised. Must be some serious computer module changes. I hope the new codebase for the Gravity and the next two vehicles in the Lucid line up! Perhaps we will get a few of the improvements. So much for my excitement about the full UX in Gravity trickling down to the Air :/ Now I'm more tempted by the Gravity haha.

Must be some serious computer module changes.
No comment, but I'll say the goal is to be future-proof, for a while. Keep in mind the Air used a chip from 2015, despite first deliveries coming in 2020; a lot had changed between 2015 and 2020. Gravity is unreleased but Lucid has learned from its mistakes, and Gravity won't be launching with a multi-year-old chip.

So much for my excitement about the full UX in Gravity trickling down to the Air :/
While the full UX won't trickle down, a lot of what they do in Gravity will; they definitely have stated a bunch of times they don't want to leave Air owners 'in the dust,' so to speak, so I'm not too worried about it. My understanding is they want most of the experiences to be brought to Air if possible, but some simply won't be possible.

I would hope too for the sake of reusability to cut development cost instead of 2 separate diverging teams. The company now has to be more conscious of cost control, especially with high contrast ratio of AMP-1 expansion to production output affected by macroeconomics.

Whenever I go to Rivian or Tesla service center, unfortunate that’s what their staff talk about. They never rode Air before, but just spread the social media reviewers’ opinions of Air software is deficient and buggy to many customers were shopping between Lucid/Rivian/Tesla. I have to defend some cases of accusation as an Air owner while providing persuasive objectivity. But as you said, company’s execution with UX1.0 already baked into general perception as 140k+ EV with buggy software. You know first impression is the most important. Lucid is still shaking off this image of last year’s perception.

Back