Lucid Party @ Gravity Reveal-LA AutoShow November, 2023?

Only question I have is.. how fast will it let me go with two occupants in the frunk with the leather seats accessory..

Only question I have is.. how fast will it let me go with two occupants in the frunk with the leather seats accessory..
This is actually a genuine question, where did this "Frunking" and "Trunking" fad come from? I've seen it in Range Rovers, Rivian, and many other SUV's and Trucks now.

Do people actually use it to sit and chill out? Serious question.

Just for context, see width with mirrors. Again, Lucid are masters of packaging!
  • Gravity = 78.7"
  • R1S = 87.1"
  • EQS SUV = 84.9"
  • Model X = 89.4"
  • X5 & X7 = 87.3"
  • GLE & GLS = 84.9"
Old post from @hmp10 about this, just add the newest to it:
View attachment 16433

You do have to feel sorry for him. The stress must have been immense to make the best car in the world..
Okay I swear I have seen him somewhere despite living in Edison nj. Legroom and width looks great(was 2nd row moved forward?) but the window looks a BIT tight for claustrophobic-ness(?). However, the glass roof MORE than makes up for that... stunning how it goes ALL THE WAY behind the third row. Most brands stop just before the third row ends.

I do wish the Gravity was a bit wider. Other than for drag CD and specifically frontal area, was there any particular reason mentioned that is is TEN inches narrower than the Air? That is a drastic difference, and would let the gravity have:

Bigger center console
Better handling
More space for batteries
More cargo
8th seat with potential 9th in front with lucids great packaging
More width to work with for aero elements(although frontal area is increased)
Better looks?(still looks great, now that i think of it it'd look weird 10 inches wider)
I agree with you on the width. It’s similar in width, I think, to the Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo. I just sold mine and it didn’t seem to narrow but obv different than a lot of other cars. I also think people are excited about an $80k price point. I doubt initially many will get sold at $80k. It will be a long time until we see the $80k version. Maybe Fall 2025???

This is actually a genuine question, where did this "Frunking" and "Trunking" fad come from? I've seen it in Range Rovers, Rivian, and many other SUV's and Trucks now.

Do people actually use it to sit and chill out? Serious question.
I tracked the leather cushion part, first being seen in the cullinans, mainstream popularized by the Range Rover and then gravity! However, people have informally been “tailgating” for a lot of time, starting from when full size SUVs had flip down AND flip up trunks(two part like current day x7)

(audi drivers also tailgate.. wait that’s the wrong tailgating!)

I do wish the Gravity was a bit wider. Other than for drag CD and specifically frontal area, was there any particular reason mentioned that is is TEN inches narrower than the Air?

I think you're looking at the Air width with the mirrors included (86.4"). Without the mirrors the Air is 76.2" wide, and the Gravity is 78.7" wide. That's marginally wider (by 0.2") than our Honda Odyssey, which has very good interior width.

Also, I suspect the Gravity will have scooped out interior door panels such as the Air does, which really expands the sense of lateral space in the car.

Frankly, at Gravity's overall length of 198.2", I don't think that there is need for rear axle steering. It only adds complexity for complexity's sake.

The utility of rear-wheel steering has more to do with wheelbase length than overall vehicle length. Although the Gravity wheelbase at 119.5" is shorter than the MB EQS at 126.4" and BMW i7 at 126.2" -- both of which cars have rear-wheel steering -- it's longer than the wheelbase of a Honda Odyssey (118.1") even though the Gravity is 7" shorter overall than the Odyssey.

Rear wheel steering does add complexity and also limits some aspects of rear suspension design. However, depending on the turning radius of the vehicle due to other factors, it could be useful for some people in some conditions. It can also contribute to steering precision and vehicle stability in certain high-speed maneuvers. I like the idea of making it an option for those who want it.

An “insider” is someone who is told things, and asked not to share those things publicly 🙂

"Insider" is also a statutory term that refers to a senior operative in a publicly-held firm whose trades in that firm's stock must be publicly disclosed and who is legally barred from trading in the firm's stock when in possession of certain information not available to the trading public.

Seems this article is noting late 2024 for dream editions and 2025 for others.

My main takeaway from the article, that I hadn't seen in detail:

The Gravity also offers a head-up display, something the Air never had. It's more than just a projection of speed and other items of interest, because it also includes augmented reality cues. This laser-enabled system can project lane lines and the position of the car ahead, even if the road is partially obscured by fog or rain. With guidance active, it also points you into a turn, confirms that you're on course, and gets you ready for the next one.​

nice review! Very exciting to see this in addition to the official launch video.

for those going to the LA auto show … I am envious. Enjoy! Look forward to hearing about your experience.

I'm glad they priced the base price at 80k! Should sell significantly more than the Air. Just hope the movement through the highest to base trims takes place faster. I'm optimistic, with the experience Lucid had with Air production.

I think you're looking at the Air width with the mirrors included (86.4"). Without the mirrors the Air is 76.2" wide, and the Gravity is 78.7" wide. That's marginally wider (by 0.2") than our Honda Odyssey, which has very good interior width.

Also, I suspect the Gravity will have scooped out interior door panels such as the Air does, which really expands the sense of lateral space in the car.
When you look at both sets of specs on Lucids website which seem to be apples to apples comparison, the width of the Air is 86.4”. The gravity with the same configuration is 78.7” wide. The mirrors appear to be in the same configuration. It seems to show the gravity is about 10” less wide than the Air.

My main takeaway from the article, that I hadn't seen in detail:

The Gravity also offers a head-up display, something the Air never had. It's more than just a projection of speed and other items of interest, because it also includes augmented reality cues. This laser-enabled system can project lane lines and the position of the car ahead, even if the road is partially obscured by fog or rain. With guidance active, it also points you into a turn, confirms that you're on course, and gets you ready for the next one.​
WOW!!
This feature alone just bumped it up a lot of points for me. Being in Utah the weather is so bad and because of the plows we can't have any lights or reflective dimples on the road, so when it snows or rains, the lane lines disappear entirely! It's super dangerous and I absolutely hate drivers here under those conditions.

I would gladly pay for an upgrade and have no expectations to get a free upgrade.
Same. It definitely won’t be free, if it happens at all.

I am advocating for those of us whom bought in 2022 at full price with the simple wishes of having the best tech and supporting Lucid to succeed. Then we all got hair cuts when they gave discount after discounts. But still no regrets! I wonder who here paid the $154K for the GT.
You bought the car at a price that you thought it was worth buying; the end. Prices change and products change, but a sale is a point in time, and it’s always a decision of whether to “wait and see” or buy it now.

I’ll bet you a shiny nickel that it is a touch sensor, rather than torque for HA. I can’t imagine Lucid would repeat the torque mistake.
I would bet two nickels.

I poo pooed the SUV, but admittedly Gravity seems pretty great and I want one. I'll cruise around with the rear and second seats folded like 98% of the time.

Costco shoppers going to "see me rollin and they be hatin." Especially when they wait for me to load 3 forklifts worth of rotisserie chicken pallets into that cavernous trunk.

4*8 plywood sheet looks like it'll fit. Wonder how much space between the wheels?

Edit: presentation would have been perfect if anyone would have showed me the cup holders were functional. Somewhere between a big gulp and a soda can.

Watch the video I took attached here - there are “normal” cup holders, and then you can slide the top console for cavernous “water bottle” holders.

@LucidDropkick what did you think of the rear seat? This is a clear picture and looks pretty good to be honest. How comfortable was it? View attachment 16435
I sat in it too - it’s hard to describe how cavernous it is. The third row is a proper set of seats, which is wild - not child jump seats.

The second row is more comfortable, but there was *tons* of room. We watched a 6’10” guy get in, and I swear I thought it was a joke. But he got in and while I would give him a different seat for a road trip, lol, he was actually very comfy.

I do wish the Gravity was a bit wider. Other than for drag CD and specifically frontal area, was there any particular reason mentioned that is is TEN inches narrower than the Air?
It’s not. This is misinformation and confusion.

When you look at both sets of specs on Lucids website which seem to be apples to apples comparison, the width of the Air is 86.4”. The gravity with the same configuration is 78.7” wide. The mirrors appear to be in the same configuration. It seems to show the gravity is about 10” less wide than the Air.
It’s not. This is misinformation and confusion. There is so much side to side space because of the scooped doors it’s nuts. I don’t know how to explain the insane space. Pictures don’t do it justice.

It is, however, only 3 inches longer than the Air.

The front view diagram on the Lucid official site is helpful - look how far the mirrors (don’t) stick out relative to the rest of the body.

Also @borski how was 2nd row legroom compared to the air?(knee room,toeroom, etc)

If you have sat in a minivan, is the third row comparable to that?

Also @borski how was 2nd row legroom compared to the air?(knee room,toeroom, etc)

If you have sat in a minivan, is the third row comparable to that?
Man.. do you ever sleep ?

Look at the efficiency vs Rivian.

Rivian R1S with Max pack = 180kwh battery for 400 miles.

Lucid Gravity = 120kwh battery = 440 miles

Back