Lucid needs to train its service advisor to be a bit sympathetic to customers' concerns

DJ@SJ

Cars
Grand Touring
My car's backup/forward/surround view cameras stopped working yesterday. I called Millbrae's service department this morning and reported this issues as well as some other annoying problems. (e.g., starting a call or playing music to discover the car on its own set the volume to the maximum; climate control always forget that I set on the auto mode; entire top row of buttons in the first screen becoming unresponsive during driving).

Anyway, after describing everything, I emphasized that backup camera issue is priority 1 for me. The conversation then went like this:

Me: To me this backup/surround view camera problem is a safety issue. I feel very unsafe to backup the car without the camera view being there.
SA: Well that is not true. Do you always drive a car with a backup camera?
Me: I have been driving only Mercedes for 20+ years before moving onto Lucid.
SA: Does every Mercedes in the 20+ years have a backup camera?

I can't understand what he is trying to argue about. Come to think of it, my first car didn't have airbags. Would he therefore suggest there is no safety concern if one day we find out that Lucid's airbags have problems?

To be honest, my mobile tech, Frank, could be a trainer for everybody. He’s kind and patient. He knows his stuff very well. I can’t say enough about him. We are lucky to have him here in San Diego!

My car's backup/forward/surround view cameras stopped working yesterday. I called Millbrae's service department this morning and reported this issues as well as some other annoying problems. (e.g., starting a call or playing music to discover the car on its own set the volume to the maximum; climate control always forget that I set on the auto mode; entire top row of buttons in the first screen becoming unresponsive during driving).

Anyway, after describing everything, I emphasized that backup camera issue is priority 1 for me. The conversation then went like this:

Me: To me this backup/surround view camera problem is a safety issue. I feel very unsafe to backup the car without the camera view being there.

I can't understand what he is trying to argue about. Come to think of it, my first car didn't have airbags. Would he therefore suggest there is no safety concern if one day we find out that Lucid's airbags have problems?

I think your experience is an aberration , and it definitely is not the way anyone should be treated.
I and others have had stellar interactions with service.
The person you spoke to should not be employed in a service position , with that kind of exchange.
I hope things improve for you quickly.

A functional back up camera is required per federal rules. in theory, you shouldn’t be driving the vehicle and a loaner should be provided. You could tell them that the issue will be reported to the NHTSA as a safety issue.

Had my San Diego Tech (Frank) out last week. He fixed a broken passenger side wiper blade with a quick bolt tightening. He was awesome and sorted me out with a few other minor items. One very friendly and capable tech for sure. He was able to sort out occasional squeak from steering wheel (noise vibration harshness/NVH) while on same visit.

WOW!

Everyone that I have talked to via the "800" number and all of the people in the Houston service center have been very sympathetic to issues and bent over backwards to help.

WOW!

Everyone that I have talked to via the "800" number and all of the people in the Houston service center have been very sympathetic to issues and bent over backwards to help.
Agreed, and also at Millbrae. This is a very unusual exchange; perhaps someone was having a very bad day.

I have had my GT a week now. I ran into some minor software issues as well as the incline Reverse selected but car goes forward issue. I also could never charge at an EA station. After the first mobile tech visit, my screens went blank, and we parked the car into the garage awaiting a tow to Scottsdale on Monday. John, service manager, called on Saturday to inform me that he was sending Chris & Kolea down with an enclosed trailer and loaner car. They had requested to come and try to solve my problems. After about 4 hrs, all was working, and we headed off for the 40-mile R/T to the charging station. Plug and play....it was magical after trying so many times. I drove home in the dark for the first time...those lights are amazing! Alexa playing Amazon music and navigation voice telling me where I was going. It was why I spent the money on this car. All is good and it will get even better when DreamDrive evolves.
I had a guy come up to me at the charger to tell me he had a Pure on order. He was driving an Audi eTron SUV but wanted to say how beautiful my GT was and did I have any problems. I laughed and said, no, I have two Lucid techs that travel with me to make sure. The two techs loved that. So, guys, Scottsdale Service Center is fantastic and really does care about us. I hope all service centers try to do so. I did hear that Lucid plans to have a local tech, with mobile van, in the Tucson area in the future. Not as great as a full-blown SC but a great short-term fix for minor problems.
I also found out that you do not have to leave the vehicle to do the turn signal reboot. My tech just raised his butt off the seat and initiated the turn signal and locked the car. It rebooted!

Agreed, and also at Millbrae. This is a very unusual exchange; perhaps someone was having a very bad day.
Unfortunately, this might not be an isolated incident about Lucid's customer service quality. Please see the screen shots of emails below regarding a different problem. I contacted Lucid's 800 numbers because Millbrae just wouldn't get back to me. This service advisor, based in Newark, asked me to sent a picture through the email. It has been almost two weeks, I have received no communication of any kind. BTW, I followed up a week after the first email asking if I could get a response. Nothing.

Email 1.jpg

Millbrae service center has been good to me and they were friendly and courteous to me whenever i went there.

Unfortunately, this might not be an isolated incident about Lucid's customer service quality. Please see the screen shots of emails below regarding a different problem. I contacted Lucid's 800 numbers because Millbrae just wouldn't get back to me. This service advisor, based in Newark, asked me to sent a picture through the email. It has been almost two weeks, I have received no communication of any kind. BTW, I followed up a week after the first email asking if I could get a response. Nothing.

View attachment 6629
I had the exact same thing happen last weekend. The only difference was that the piece stayed there because of the PPF. I had sent out an email to customer service and the issue was taken care off at Millbrae on Fri. The rear door was also adjusted slightly - moved backwards to create a bit more space between the front and rear doors. I was also offered reimbursement for the cost of getting PPF redone, which I do not need because the PPF shop agreed to redo that trim piece at no cost! Sorry that you had a very different experience and hope it gets taken care off soon.

View attachment 6629
This happen to my car when it was in the Texas summer heat for 30min. They expand and the front and back door trim will hit each other. The technician replaced it and moved it back a small amount.

My mobile tech Andy has been great. Possibly yours was having a bad day. We’re all human. If it happens repeatedly, then maybe Lucid hired the wrong person for that position…

There’s actually a few regulations around reliability and response time requirements for backup cameras. I’m slightly baffled that anyone would give this type of response without being reprimanded as its not far fetched to note there could be a class action lawsuit on this specific item depending on the root causes.

To validate you, it’s absolutely a large safety concern. That’s why regulators have regulations around it…

Last edited:
I have had my GT a week now. I ran into some minor software issues as well as the incline Reverse selected but car goes forward issue. I also could never charge at an EA station. After the first mobile tech visit, my screens went blank, and we parked the car into the garage awaiting a tow to Scottsdale on Monday. John, service manager, called on Saturday to inform me that he was sending Chris & Kolea down with an enclosed trailer and loaner car. They had requested to come and try to solve my problems. After about 4 hrs, all was working, and we headed off for the 40-mile R/T to the charging station. Plug and play....it was magical after trying so many times. I drove home in the dark for the first time...those lights are amazing! Alexa playing Amazon music and navigation voice telling me where I was going. It was why I spent the money on this car. All is good and it will get even better when DreamDrive evolves.
I had a guy come up to me at the charger to tell me he had a Pure on order. He was driving an Audi eTron SUV but wanted to say how beautiful my GT was and did I have any problems. I laughed and said, no, I have two Lucid techs that travel with me to make sure. The two techs loved that. So, guys, Scottsdale Service Center is fantastic and really does care about us. I hope all service centers try to do so. I did hear that Lucid plans to have a local tech, with mobile van, in the Tucson area in the future. Not as great as a full-blown SC but a great short-term fix for minor problems.
I also found out that you do not have to leave the vehicle to do the turn signal reboot. My tech just raised his butt off the seat and initiated the turn signal and locked the car. It rebooted!
Recently came to the forum, but I have a GT that should be delivered in the coming weeks. Just wondering your thoughts so far about the car in general. I'm also in Tucson, but I'm frequently traveling out of town for work. I don't have a ton of time to babysit the Lucid if its going to constantly be in the shop or not working. You've had a lot of thoughtful posts, and I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on the car- would you do it over again if you could? Do you think that it will work out and be reliable for you in the future?

I attempted to PM you these questions, but I wasn't able to figure out how. If anyone else cares to answer, I'd love your feedback too! Thanks

Recently came to the forum, but I have a GT that should be delivered in the coming weeks. Just wondering your thoughts so far about the car in general. I'm also in Tucson, but I'm frequently traveling out of town for work. I don't have a ton of time to babysit the Lucid if its going to constantly be in the shop or not working. You've had a lot of thoughtful posts, and I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on the car- would you do it over again if you could? Do you think that it will work out and be reliable for you in the future?

I attempted to PM you these questions, but I wasn't able to figure out how. If anyone else cares to answer, I'd love your feedback too! Thanks

I would love to give you my thoughts, if that’s ok.
I want to be as realistic and objective as possible.
I live a really long way from a service center , so I must admit I get a little nervous from time to time. In fact, my distance from anything Lucid almost caused me to cancel my order.
I am really glad I went through with the purchase. My car is currently in a shop getting paint protection film and ceramic coating. I was just out to dinner with my wife and was complaining about how much I miss the car and how I can’t wait to get it back. I have never said that about any car in my life. It’s a total blast to drive and a very relaxing cabin to spend time in. The tech , with the updated UI , is tremendously improved and is quite intuitive to use, in my opinion. I am not the most tech savvy person on this forum, but I really believe the car is pretty easy to figure out.
Now for a dose of reality. It’s a new company and things may occasionally go awry. Some minor and rarely some major. You are in proximity to a service center, which should give you peace of mind.
In summary, I have never had so much fun in a vehicle and I wholeheartedly recommend it, even if it may potentially give a few headaches. Just educate yourself ( as you have ) and be prepared to troubleshoot, if things don’t always go as planned.
In my 2 months of ownership I have not encountered any major hiccups. My range has been very respectable, especially in warmer weather, where I average around 3.8 m/kWh.
Finally, if you are a music lover, there is nothing like Dolby Atmos in the car. In my opinion, it’s a must have.

@DJ@SJ, I agree that the response was unacceptably argumentative regardless of how well others have been handled. I, too, would be aggravated if I had been a recipient of that exchange.

This happen to my car when it was in the Texas summer heat for 30min. They expand and the front and back door trim will hit each other. The technician replaced it and moved it back a small amount.
Happened to me as well in the Palm Springs heat over the summer. Service department was great and fixed it right away.

The car is a marvel. It is so much fun to drive, I forget the little things that aggravated me; but after trying launch today, unbelievable!! This car is fast and handles better than my old 928. I have not had any major mechanical issues so I can only hope I remain free from them. The software updates are coming rapidly and that is a plus. Most software problems are aggravating but with patience, you can normally find the solution. I have pissed and moaned many times while trying to get the car to open or the radio to play but it eventually was resolved, and I went on my merry way. My spouse does give me a hard time over my $150k toy but I noticed she really likes going on short trips with me more than before. She drives a Tesla and a golf cart most of the time.
As a retired "road warrior" I might be hesitant to leave it at the airport, but I think for driving pleasure you can have a fairly high degree of confidence. In the forum you will see many who have made many trips with little problems except the EA dilemma that hopefully receives immediate attention by Lucid and EA. So, bottom line, I would go for it. Scottsdale is close and the service is exceptional.
It is pure pleasure driving it...hell, I sat in the garage last night with Tidal playing and seat massage on. Spouse thought I was asleep and came knocking on the window. (Damn, woke me up!) Still need to be able to turn lights off!

The car is a marvel. It is so much fun to drive, I forget the little things that aggravated me; but after trying launch today, unbelievable!! This car is fast and handles better than my old 928. I have not had any major mechanical issues so I can only hope I remain free from them. The software updates are coming rapidly and that is a plus. Most software problems are aggravating but with patience, you can normally find the solution. I have pissed and moaned many times while trying to get the car to open or the radio to play but it eventually was resolved, and I went on my merry way. My spouse does give me a hard time over my $150k toy but I noticed she really likes going on short trips with me more than before. She drives a Tesla and a golf cart most of the time.
As a retired "road warrior" I might be hesitant to leave it at the airport, but I think for driving pleasure you can have a fairly high degree of confidence. In the forum you will see many who have made many trips with little problems except the EA dilemma that hopefully receives immediate attention by Lucid and EA. So, bottom line, I would go for it. Scottsdale is close and the service is exceptional.
It is pure pleasure driving it...hell, I sat in the garage last night with Tidal playing and seat massage on. Spouse thought I was asleep and came knocking on the window. (Damn, woke me up!) Still need to be able to turn lights off!
I left mine in the airport last week. No issues.

Back