Lucid missing market segment begging to be exploited via Dream Drive

Here's an off the wall question. I have been quite critical of DDP's lane-centering abilities. In looking at my car's DreamDrive settings, I noted that I had the lane-centering options set to 'alert', and neither 'intervene' nor 'both'. I have always assumed that these options would only affect how regular driving and adaptive cruise control would perform, but not how DreamDrive Pro would perform. I am correct about that, right?

I ask because my critique seems to be in quite the minority position, and I grapple with the reason(s) why. I am going to have my DDP settings checked at the Seattle Service Center, as another possibility occurred to me. A few months ago, I took my car in because I thought the headlights were not illuminating the road properly. It turned out that they had never been calibrated, and the difference after a ten minute adjustment was incredible. That recently got me wondering if the sensors/radar/lidar used by DDP were never properly calibrated either. Should be interesting to see if that's the case.

I'll let you know if I find out anything noteworthy.

Here's an off the wall question. I have been quite critical of DDP's lane-centering abilities. In looking at my car's DreamDrive settings, I noted that I had the lane-centering options set to 'alert', and neither 'intervene' nor 'both'. I have always assumed that these options would only affect how regular driving and adaptive cruise control would perform, but not how DreamDrive Pro would perform. I am correct about that, right?
Yup, those lane departure settings are completely separate from highway assist. Mine is set to warning only as well.

I ask because my critique seems to be in quite the minority position, and I grapple with the reason(s) why. I am going to have my DDP settings checked at the Seattle Service Center, as another possibility occurred to me. A few months ago, I took my car in because I thought the headlights were not illuminating the road properly. It turned out that they had never been calibrated, and the difference after a ten minute adjustment was incredible. That recently got me wondering if the sensors/radar/lidar used by DDP were never properly calibrated either. Should be interesting to see if that's the case.

I'll let you know if I find out anything noteworthy.
It really boils down to, if highway assist doesn't hold you in the center even on medium curves, you need a calibration done.

It really boils down to, if highway assist doesn't hold you in the center even on medium curves, you need a calibration done.
Really? Even after having a calibration done mine still likes to wander freely in its lane or it stays a little too close to the right line which I tend to intervene when passing a truck on the right side as it’s too close for comfort.

Really? Even after having a calibration done mine still likes to wander freely in its lane or it stays a little too close to the right line which I tend to intervene when passing a truck on the right side as it’s too close for comfort.
Mine is dead center and only wanders when I have it set to 80 on curves

Then you need to have it recalibrated again. It should be dead-center. If it isn’t, you need calibration.

That’s why whenever anyone complains about Highway Assist not being centered I just yell “service” at them over and over again. It’s not a software issue.

Then you need to have it recalibrated again. It should be dead-center. If it isn’t, you need calibration.

That’s why whenever anyone complains about Highway Assist not being centered I just yell “service” at them over and over again. It’s not a software issue.
Yeah but seriously, multiple calibrations shouldn’t be needed especially given that it has to be done at a Service Center. Waste of everyone’s time.

Yeah but seriously, multiple calibrations shouldn’t be needed especially given that it has to be done at a Service Center. Waste of everyone’s time.
Oh, I agree. And to that end, I’ve only ever needed… one. And it was after an accident.

But that said, I agree the experience you’ve had sucks and is a waste of their and your time - shouldn’t have come back without being properly calibrated. Need better QA or testing for that.

I was just trying to clarify that it’s definitely not going to fix itself, that’s all, and that it’s fixable.

As a senior citizen bought new Air GT early when first available. In many ways I think it is one of the very best cars available at any price. However, it has so far fallen short in respect of my major objective in buying.

We seniors (many of whom having deep pockets) do not become better drivers as we age. My critical objective is to buy cars that allow my wife and me to drive safely, longer on the very demanding Texas Interstates.

I will always be a hands-on driver but with the Air GT doing all the ADAS functions (either in passive, background mode or with Dream Drive Pro engaged) as I actively oversee on a continuous basis. The type of features I hoped to have had been added by now by OTA updates were introduced by Tesla some 4-5 years ago. We often ride in Tesla Ubers and see these on the large center screen.

Three lanes are projected, and one can see cars or trucks in the lane immediately behind the Uber and several vehicles in front and the same for the lanes on either side. This gives advance warning of cars dangerously passing on the right and then cutting in front, far too close. Whie this move is illegal, and enforced, in Europe, it is an aggressive, dangerous maneuver one is frequently subjected to in the U.S. – often by the many, very nimble half-ton pickups – even if one is doing the speed limit or more.

On local roads Teslas also screen shots coming stop lights and stop signs and warns if one is about to blow through these.

I will not buy a Tesla, as they only have optical sensors and are otherwise far inferior to Lucid. However, if I do not see our Air GT gaining the above functions soon and if the Gravity does not arrive with them, I will sell the Air GT and not buy the Gravity. This would be sad, especially because it appears Lucid is putting the same wonderful engineering and quality features into the Gravity with nifty improvements over the Air. The Air GT promo shows the 3 lanes in the center of the Cockpit Panel but this is a teaser, not yet available and no one at company can hazard a guess when it will be available. Can anyone put a bug in Peter’s ear to exploit the safety-conscious senior market?

Sport
YES!
As a senior citizen 'I will always be a hands-on driver' too and need advanced driver assistance technology for better safety.

Oddly.........I'm a 2023 Tesla Model S owner and looking at Lucid Dream Drive (Premium or Pro) to give me much better safety in advanced driver assistance.

For me, even Tesla's autopilot is a smoke and mirror trick.
Tesla autopilot has only 8 cameras and rain, fog, and bright sunlight sometimes blinds these cameras.
No front bumper camera leaves the car miss judging frontal distance.
Tesla's also don't have 360 view.....that is parking madness in the S.
Hopefully you have not experienced Tesla like 'Phantom Braking' in your Lucid GT?

It's troubling hearing Lucid Air owners not getting promised improvements..................but Tesla's FSD is fools gold, look how long Musk has promised this.
Lucid has a lot more invested in driver assistance technology........Lidar Radar............32 sensors in all.

Back