Lucid missing market segment begging to be exploited via Dream Drive

Here's an off the wall question. I have been quite critical of DDP's lane-centering abilities. In looking at my car's DreamDrive settings, I noted that I had the lane-centering options set to 'alert', and neither 'intervene' nor 'both'. I have always assumed that these options would only affect how regular driving and adaptive cruise control would perform, but not how DreamDrive Pro would perform. I am correct about that, right?

I ask because my critique seems to be in quite the minority position, and I grapple with the reason(s) why. I am going to have my DDP settings checked at the Seattle Service Center, as another possibility occurred to me. A few months ago, I took my car in because I thought the headlights were not illuminating the road properly. It turned out that they had never been calibrated, and the difference after a ten minute adjustment was incredible. That recently got me wondering if the sensors/radar/lidar used by DDP were never properly calibrated either. Should be interesting to see if that's the case.

I'll let you know if I find out anything noteworthy.

Here's an off the wall question. I have been quite critical of DDP's lane-centering abilities. In looking at my car's DreamDrive settings, I noted that I had the lane-centering options set to 'alert', and neither 'intervene' nor 'both'. I have always assumed that these options would only affect how regular driving and adaptive cruise control would perform, but not how DreamDrive Pro would perform. I am correct about that, right?
Yup, those lane departure settings are completely separate from highway assist. Mine is set to warning only as well.

I ask because my critique seems to be in quite the minority position, and I grapple with the reason(s) why. I am going to have my DDP settings checked at the Seattle Service Center, as another possibility occurred to me. A few months ago, I took my car in because I thought the headlights were not illuminating the road properly. It turned out that they had never been calibrated, and the difference after a ten minute adjustment was incredible. That recently got me wondering if the sensors/radar/lidar used by DDP were never properly calibrated either. Should be interesting to see if that's the case.

I'll let you know if I find out anything noteworthy.
It really boils down to, if highway assist doesn't hold you in the center even on medium curves, you need a calibration done.

It really boils down to, if highway assist doesn't hold you in the center even on medium curves, you need a calibration done.
Really? Even after having a calibration done mine still likes to wander freely in its lane or it stays a little too close to the right line which I tend to intervene when passing a truck on the right side as it’s too close for comfort.

Really? Even after having a calibration done mine still likes to wander freely in its lane or it stays a little too close to the right line which I tend to intervene when passing a truck on the right side as it’s too close for comfort.
Mine is dead center and only wanders when I have it set to 80 on curves

Then you need to have it recalibrated again. It should be dead-center. If it isn’t, you need calibration.

That’s why whenever anyone complains about Highway Assist not being centered I just yell “service” at them over and over again. It’s not a software issue.

Then you need to have it recalibrated again. It should be dead-center. If it isn’t, you need calibration.

That’s why whenever anyone complains about Highway Assist not being centered I just yell “service” at them over and over again. It’s not a software issue.
Yeah but seriously, multiple calibrations shouldn’t be needed especially given that it has to be done at a Service Center. Waste of everyone’s time.

Yeah but seriously, multiple calibrations shouldn’t be needed especially given that it has to be done at a Service Center. Waste of everyone’s time.
Oh, I agree. And to that end, I’ve only ever needed… one. And it was after an accident.

But that said, I agree the experience you’ve had sucks and is a waste of their and your time - shouldn’t have come back without being properly calibrated. Need better QA or testing for that.

I was just trying to clarify that it’s definitely not going to fix itself, that’s all, and that it’s fixable.

As a senior citizen bought new Air GT early when first available. In many ways I think it is one of the very best cars available at any price. However, it has so far fallen short in respect of my major objective in buying.

We seniors (many of whom having deep pockets) do not become better drivers as we age. My critical objective is to buy cars that allow my wife and me to drive safely, longer on the very demanding Texas Interstates.

I will always be a hands-on driver but with the Air GT doing all the ADAS functions (either in passive, background mode or with Dream Drive Pro engaged) as I actively oversee on a continuous basis. The type of features I hoped to have had been added by now by OTA updates were introduced by Tesla some 4-5 years ago. We often ride in Tesla Ubers and see these on the large center screen.

Three lanes are projected, and one can see cars or trucks in the lane immediately behind the Uber and several vehicles in front and the same for the lanes on either side. This gives advance warning of cars dangerously passing on the right and then cutting in front, far too close. Whie this move is illegal, and enforced, in Europe, it is an aggressive, dangerous maneuver one is frequently subjected to in the U.S. – often by the many, very nimble half-ton pickups – even if one is doing the speed limit or more.

On local roads Teslas also screen shots coming stop lights and stop signs and warns if one is about to blow through these.

I will not buy a Tesla, as they only have optical sensors and are otherwise far inferior to Lucid. However, if I do not see our Air GT gaining the above functions soon and if the Gravity does not arrive with them, I will sell the Air GT and not buy the Gravity. This would be sad, especially because it appears Lucid is putting the same wonderful engineering and quality features into the Gravity with nifty improvements over the Air. The Air GT promo shows the 3 lanes in the center of the Cockpit Panel but this is a teaser, not yet available and no one at company can hazard a guess when it will be available. Can anyone put a bug in Peter’s ear to exploit the safety-conscious senior market?

Sport
YES!
As a senior citizen 'I will always be a hands-on driver' too and need advanced driver assistance technology for better safety.

Oddly.........I'm a 2023 Tesla Model S owner and looking at Lucid Dream Drive (Premium or Pro) to give me much better safety in advanced driver assistance.

For me, even Tesla's autopilot is a smoke and mirror trick.
Tesla autopilot has only 8 cameras and rain, fog, and bright sunlight sometimes blinds these cameras.
No front bumper camera leaves the car miss judging frontal distance.
Tesla's also don't have 360 view.....that is parking madness in the S.
Hopefully you have not experienced Tesla like 'Phantom Braking' in your Lucid GT?

It's troubling hearing Lucid Air owners not getting promised improvements..................but Tesla's FSD is fools gold, look how long Musk has promised this.
Lucid has a lot more invested in driver assistance technology........Lidar Radar............32 sensors in all.

I couldn't agree more. The display of cars around you, video-game style is more of a distraction than its worth. Camera views, on the other hand, are very handy.

I don't like that Lucid has made such little progress in the past year especially with ADAS features. And I too want Traffic Jam assist badly. But I'm still hoping that will all come in time.

When Tesla went from HW1 to HW2, I was used to having the display showing traffic in the lanes on each side. But HW2 started off behind, with lots of development yet to be done. By the time the Model 3 came out, they were almost caught up but lacked the display of cars in the lanes on either side. I realized that it wasn't all that helpful having it, except that when Tesla eventually got it working, it helped with blind spots. However the idea of looking to the right (center screen) when I want to change to the lane to the left of me is something I never liked. Lucid's blind spot handling, plus sensible placement of side camera views when signals are on blows away what Tesla did, and is far more useful than seeing the graphic of cars on the side. The advantage of seeing the car in front was knowing that the Tesla knew it was there, which was important in its less reliable days.

💯

If promises are made and no money is taken well you just have to be prepared to wait until it hits the priority list. However, when promises are made and money IS taken then a company has an obligation to at least keep people informed.
What exactly were the promises?

What exactly were the promises?
If you really want to continue playing this game. When using words like "many more coming soon" "soon lane change assist" it's not years. The only one i'll give them a pass on is Highway Pilot being in the future but that appears to have been dropped off the feature list now with no explanation as to why from Lucid. You take $10K and then just remove one of the major things that were promised..... interesting tactic

1722200499822.webp

When it comes to DreamDrive Pro, it seems like Bobby and HC_79 are stuck in an infinite loop. Hopefully, it's a one-lane infinite loop, and they both have their eyes front, with a properly annoying level of torque on the wheel.

It's disappointing to read about the home link, the slow progress on the dream drive pro. I elected to not take delivery of my GT due to the issues back then. I am reading thru the forums as I am considering the Gravity. I really feel that the issue with the Lucid and home link and other functionality is it's all being operated by a central computer. I have an Audi currently and all the electronics are on touch screen and the self drive and all the daily functions work seamlessly without any delays. I hope that the hardware for the Gravity is different. all the self drive functions in all cars save the MB are level 2. No car can run on level 3 without federal/state approval. So regardless of what tesla says fed is a level 2 system

It's disappointing to read about the home link, the slow progress on the dream drive pro. I elected to not take delivery of my GT due to the issues back then. I am reading thru the forums as I am considering the Gravity. I really feel that the issue with the Lucid and home link and other functionality is it's all being operated by a central computer. I have an Audi currently and all the electronics are on touch screen and the self drive and all the daily functions work seamlessly without any delays. I hope that the hardware for the Gravity is different. all the self drive functions in all cars save the MB are level 2. No car can run on level 3 without federal/state approval. So regardless of what tesla says fed is a level 2 system
That's a problem in general with the definitions of levels. Almost all traffic laws in the US are state laws, and drivers (the person in the driver's seat) have to follow the rules of the road, including paying attention. No car company can change that, so in most places, even if a car can do all the driving on its own, it would still be level 2 since you'd still have to pay attention. As for level 3, it's not up to a car company to say that under certain conditions, a person doesn't have to pay attention. And state laws would have to define specific circumstances under which a car could be considered level 3. As it stands now, a police officer can't tell whether my car has Autopilot or Dream Drive or FSD or anything else, much less whether it's activated. That would make it hard for a car to allow me not to pay attention in some situations since there's no way of telling that I'm allowed. I can't see the police ignoring potential violations on the grounds that it's possible that the car is level 3.

As a senior citizen bought new Air GT early when first available. In many ways I think it is one of the very best cars available at any price. However, it has so far fallen short in respect of my major objective in buying.

We seniors (many of whom having deep pockets) do not become better drivers as we age. My critical objective is to buy cars that allow my wife and me to drive safely, longer on the very demanding Texas Interstates.

I will always be a hands-on driver but with the Air GT doing all the ADAS functions (either in passive, background mode or with Dream Drive Pro engaged) as I actively oversee on a continuous basis. The type of features I hoped to have had been added by now by OTA updates were introduced by Tesla some 4-5 years ago. We often ride in Tesla Ubers and see these on the large center screen.

Three lanes are projected, and one can see cars or trucks in the lane immediately behind the Uber and several vehicles in front and the same for the lanes on either side. This gives advance warning of cars dangerously passing on the right and then cutting in front, far too close. Whie this move is illegal, and enforced, in Europe, it is an aggressive, dangerous maneuver one is frequently subjected to in the U.S. – often by the many, very nimble half-ton pickups – even if one is doing the speed limit or more.

On local roads Teslas also screen shots coming stop lights and stop signs and warns if one is about to blow through these.

I will not buy a Tesla, as they only have optical sensors and are otherwise far inferior to Lucid. However, if I do not see our Air GT gaining the above functions soon and if the Gravity does not arrive with them, I will sell the Air GT and not buy the Gravity. This would be sad, especially because it appears Lucid is putting the same wonderful engineering and quality features into the Gravity with nifty improvements over the Air. The Air GT promo shows the 3 lanes in the center of the Cockpit Panel but this is a teaser, not yet available and no one at company can hazard a guess when it will be available. Can anyone put a bug in Peter’s ear to exploit the safety-conscious senior market?

Sport
Look at the gravity adas on Lucid website. We can hope that perhaps one fine day you may see that in air. The main reason I bought air and not a tesla is that it drives very well and has all the possible sensors which software can use. I like the conservative approach of lucid to adas.

Look at the gravity adas on Lucid website. We can hope that perhaps one fine day you may see that in air. The main reason I bought air and not a tesla is that it drives very well and has all the possible sensors which software can use. I like the conservative approach of lucid to adas.
I'd prefer to have more of the features that Tesla has, but there are some things that Tesla got very wrong, in my view, related to that post. Tesla might show more cars in the adjacent lanes in the display, but the Lucid gives very clear blind spot indications, as well as a sensibly placed view of the side camera corresponding to the side indicated by the directional signal. Even on the latest Model X, Tesla put the camera view on the center screen, where it makes no sense. The 3/Y have only a center screen, and looking for a blind spot indicator in a sensible place wasn't available in the 3 until very recently when Tesla relented and added a more conventional blind spot indicator. It's still not available in the Y. But the cameras do the best job of all when they can be viewed from a sensible location as in the Lucid.

Lucid also actively monitors traffic behind the car when the car is in reverse, and will stop the car if there's a pedestrian or unexpected vehicle. Tesla does not.

In a decade of driving Teslas, I've seen the display go from a simple indicator (I don't recall exactly what it said but it was no different from a typical dashboard icon) that let the driver know there was a car in front to something showing the car in its lane, as well as the car in front, to showing that, plus traffic in adjacent lanes that were past the point of the blind spot. Then it started showing not only the car ahead, but the one two cars ahead in some places. It also showed vague arcs to let a driver know what's in the blind spot, but I never felt comfortable with the timing of it.

Then HW2 came out and it took Tesla time to get anything working. By the time they were almost caught up to HW1, it still lacked showing what was in adjacent lanes. I realized that I didn't really need it since I could see that through the window or windshield. Eventually, they added that back in, as well as showing cars in the blind spots. But my habit was actually looking at the side view mirror and out the window for that, so a conventional blind spot indicator would have been better. Then Tesla added the camera display, in the center screen in an awkward location.

They eventually added the red shadow to the camera display when there's a car in the blind spot, but they did that well after Lucid already did it.

Overall, I feel far more comfortable in a Lucid when it comes to avoiding what's in the blind spot. I haven't had a near miss with any of these cars, and in theory they would keep me from entering the next lane when a car is there. But the Lucid makes it less likely that I'd ever need the correction. And when it comes to backing up, Tesla doesn't come close. I can see what's in the camera, unless something is out of view.

One thing I will give to Tesla though is that they let me see the side view cameras when backing up. Lucid shows the left or right when the signal is on, and only when in drive. I can't even fool it by putting the signal on when in reverse. Those displays are helpful for tight garages.

...One thing I will give to Tesla though is that they let me see the side view cameras when backing up. Lucid shows the left or right when the signal is on, and only when in drive. I can't even fool it by putting the signal on when in reverse. Those displays are helpful for tight garages.
I've herd this request before from others. Definitely a worthwhile item to ask from Lucid. Maybe send a query to Customer Service?

One thing I will give to Tesla though is that they let me see the side view cameras when backing up. Lucid shows the left or right when the signal is on, and only when in drive. I can't even fool it by putting the signal on when in reverse. Those displays are helpful for tight garages.

Haggy don't you have an AGT with 360 view? Isn't that better than just side view when backing up?

Back