LUCID Included Charger

The bidirectional capability is not enabled via software. Also, the hardware (transfer switch) is still not approved yet so that's also unavailable for the time being.

The charger cable provided with the car will work just fine in a 14-50 receptacle and will charge your car up overnight. You should get around 30 miles per hour of charge. The Lucid EVSE will charge your car at ~18Kw providing around 80 miles of charge per hour. The main reason I bought the LCHCS (Lucid EVSE) was for future power outage protection, but the software for that feature is not yet available. Also, the software does not currently allow you to schedule your charging time. If it is plugged in it starts charging.
o

The charger cable provided with the car will work just fine in a 14-50 receptacle and will charge your car up overnight. You should get around 30 miles per hour of charge. The Lucid EVSE will charge your car at ~18Kw providing around 80 miles of charge per hour. The main reason I bought the LCHCS (Lucid EVSE) was for future power outage protection, but the software for that feature is not yet available. Also, the software does not currently allow you to schedule your charging time. If it is plugged in it starts charging.
Of course the software doesn’t currently allow scheduled charging. It will once I buy and install my EVSE lol!

The bidirectional capability is not enabled via software. Also, the hardware (transfer switch) is still not approved yet so that's also unavailable for the time being.
So, here is my question about it not being enabled via software ....

Am I supposed to pay an electrician to install a 220V + Lucid EVSE unit + 100Amp panel and then once the transfer switch is approved, pay an electrician to install the transfer switch as well?

Or, am I supposed to just pay an electrician to install a 14-50 in the garage and use the cord. After the transfer switch is approved, then pay the electrician again, to do the 100 Amp panel + transfer switch?

For those of us who want bi-directionality of electricity flow to protect from power outages, what strategy are people using ?

Am I supposed to pay an electrician to install a 220V + Lucid EVSE unit + 100Amp panel and then once the transfer switch is approved, pay an electrician to install the transfer switch as well?

Or, am I supposed to just pay an electrician to install a 14-50 in the garage and use the cord. After the transfer switch is approved, then pay the electrician again, to do the 100 Amp panel + transfer switch?

For those of us who want bi-directionality of electricity flow to protect from power outages, what strategy are people using ?

Unlike Ford, which has a partnership with the bi-directional installer, Lucid has not announced how to do it and who will do it so I would not count on that feature right now.

That means to expect to pay twice: One for a conventional unidirectional wall connector, then once Lucid announces how to do a bi-directional setup, it'll be time to pay again.

Maybe you can temporarily pay for a cheaper setup of 14-50 for now while waiting for the bidirectional details.

I received my Lucid LCHCS surprisingly fast and earlier than expected last month! Since I have not received my Black/Tahoe AT, I haven't yet had my electrician do the install but hope to get that taken care of soon. At first glance, the installation manual doesn't doesn't even mention bidirectional charging even though that feature is going to be a future capability. The bidirectional capability process and equipment, as discussed in this Forum and in other resources, hasn't been officially released yet as the "official" Lucid path forward for implementing that feature. That being said, conceptually Lucid's approach will be similar to the installation of home generator or solar backup systems in that some type of transfer switch (manual or automated) will be needed to be added to your LCHCS to enable the system to be isolated from your power grid. Several of these transfer switches are available commercially today for home generators. I haven't heard whether Lucid is planning on designing and selling their own transfer switch or just spec out what we would need to get from what is already available.

As to your questions on how to proceed, I think it boils down to how quickly do you want to leverage Lucid's optimal fast charging capabilities up to 80A (it can be set to lower amperages as needed). If you want to optimally be able to use your LCHCS stand alone (independent of bidirectional charging), you'll want to direct wire two conductors (2 AWG power and 8 AWG ground) from a 100A breaker to your LCHCS. If you don't need that level of charging functionality you can go the 14-50 route initially. Some folks on this Forum are installing both approaches. Personally, I'm going the 100A Breaker / 80A charging route and will add in a transfer switch later once Lucid has finished their testing and release of their bidirectional capabilities. I would be surprised if conceptually the inclusion of the transfer switch is much different than other home backup systems, so a qualified electrician could conceivably install a "complete" solution at one time although you may not be able to use the V2H charging functionality without additional approvals or inspections. So while conceptually designing your installation with bidirectional charging in mind up front makes sense, doing it in a two step process may be more prudent.

For me, I'm initially focusing on getting the optimal home charging capability out of the LCHCS and will add in the transfer switch later. Now, if I only had my AT to test out my LCHCS...

Correction on my previous statement when I compare it with Ford, Lucid does indeed have a bidirectional installer partner:

Correction on my previous statement when I compare it with Ford, Lucid does indeed have a bidirectional installer partner:

Qmerit is the installer partner but they are just local electricians. They have not specified what kind of transfer switch or other hardware to install for bidirectionality.

Qmerit is the installer partner but they are just local electricians. They have not specified what kind of transfer switch or other hardware to install for bidirectionality.
I do agree with you about current status of unidirectional charging.

However, for the future bidirectional circuit, Qmerit was announced in 2020 that it will handle it when the future will arrive.

I'm getting ready to take delivery of my Lucid and ordered their $1300 home charger to replace my existing Tesla charger. I've now determined that I'm just going to use it with the existing 60A line, instead of rewiring. Is there currently any advantage to using the Lucid CHCS charger on this level of connection (better software integration, app experience, etc.) vs. a 3rd party 48A charger?

I'm getting ready to take delivery of my Lucid and ordered their $1300 home charger to replace my existing Tesla charger. I've now determined that I'm just going to use it with the existing 60A line, instead of rewiring. Is there currently any advantage to using the Lucid CHCS charger on this level of connection (better software integration, app experience, etc.) vs. a 3rd party 48A charger?
It's actually a downgrade since you can't schedule a charge on it. I honestly would hold off until they introduce scheduled charging either through the car or the EVSE.

The current Tesla Wall Connector can only do 48A, while Lucid can do 80A on a 100A circuit. However, your current wires are rated for a 60A circuit, so there's no advantage either way if you don't change out the wires for 100A circuit.

That's exactly what I did, replaced an existing Tesla HPWC Gen 2 on a 60A circuit with Lucid's LHCS. It works fine but neither car nor EVSE currently can do scheduled charging. I imagine this will be remedied by software OTA in the next few months.

The reason I did the same installation you are contemplating: to minimize sunk cost until the details of the bidirectional installation requirements are released. In the meantime purchasing Lucid's EVSE instead of a third-party unit means no wasted money buying a new EVSE from Chargepoint etc and then likely selling it again later.

So after installing yesterday the charger is working fine but it is unable to connect to my home wifi network . Tried many times yesterday and today and it would get stuck at the “reloading” step. I have to call the relevant tech tomorrow. Has any one else had this problem?

So after installing yesterday the charger is working fine but it is unable to connect to my home wifi network . Tried many times yesterday and today and it would get stuck at the “reloading” step. I have to call the relevant tech tomorrow. Has any one else had this problem?
Yes. If your home wifi subnet is 192.168.1.xxx, a firmware bug in Lucid's home charger prevents it from communicating. In that case you'll need to change your home wifi subnet to 192.168.2.xxx. Lucid's OEM is working on a firmware update to fix.

What do you mean by the reloading step? That might have been the issue I had. if you power cycle, it stays flashing white and never goes solid white?

This is the situation I’m in. Wallbox is great. Once the Lucid charger comes out I’ll swap it for that.
If the Lucid wall "Charger" ,is a combination of 100A EVSE and 240V 2 phase 100A inverter and a disconnect which disconnects the utility power and switches to its inverter, I will be very interested .

If the Lucid wall "Charger" ,is a combination of 100A EVSE and 240V 2 phase 100A inverter and a disconnect which disconnects the utility power and switches to its inverter, I will be very interested .
The 240v inverter, single phase with neutral center tap, is part of the car's Wunderbox functionality.

Back