LUCID Included Charger

babwine

Verified Owner
Cars
LUCID Air Grand Touring,
I installed a ChargePoint Flex unit in my home on Cape Cod. It required a 50 amp circuit and a NEMA 14-50 outlet. It works great. I intend to get the LUCID home charger for my home in Florida but assume it won’t be available before I return in mid-October. Given that, my best scenario is, while awaiting the LUCID charger, to have my electrician wire for a 100 amp service to accommodate the new bi-directional LUCID charger and install a 14-50 outlet that the LUCID included charger can connect to. Does anyone know if the LUCID charger that came with the car charges at the same speed as the ChargePoint or similar chargers from other companies? If not, would it make any real difference if I just charged overnight?

The laws of electricity are fairly constant and consistent. If you're installing a 14-50 outlet, you will max out at 40 amps at the outlet, regardless of what size wiring or breaker (100 amp) at the panel. To achieve anything greater than 40A, the charger must be hard-wired. Also, installing a Lucid bi-directional charger is not as simple as it sounds. You will need at least an isolation switch so you are not backfeeding the power company and/or your neighbors. Based on the reliability of my local power company, I'm skipping the Lucid charger. If a future software update includes the ability to set a timer for charging, that may make a home charger (like ChargePoint Flex) moot.

I will take a shot at answering your question, based on what I know.

- Your chargepoint can draw upto I believe (meaning a minimum of 60A breaker is required.)
- If you have a 100A breaker, but install a 14-50, your max draw will be at 48A.

But if memory serves me right, I believe Lucid EVSE caps out at 40A draw. (Meaning your 14-50 outlet will work fine, with a 100A breaker.).

And it takes approx 12 hours or so from 0 to 100% on a 40A draw.

I will take a shot at answering your question, based on what I know.

- Your chargepoint can draw upto I believe (meaning a minimum of 60A breaker is required.)
- If you have a 100A breaker, but install a 14-50, your max draw will be at 48A.

But if memory serves me right, I believe Lucid EVSE caps out at 40A draw. (Meaning your 14-50 outlet will work fine, with a 100A breaker.).

And it takes approx 12 hours or so from 0 to 100% on a 40A draw.
I believe you are incorrect. The "50" in 14-50 refers to amperage at the breaker - 50A. You must then calculate a 20% decrease to the outlet; hence, a 14-50 outlet can only deliver a max of 40A. In other words, you cannot get 48A safely from a 14-50 outlet. Others, please chime in if I got this wrong.

Unable to edit my earlier post.
- Your chargepoint can draw upto 50A I believe (meaning a minimum of 60A breaker is required.)
To set ChargePoint at 50A, you are required to have a 62.5A breaker, which means you'll need a 70A breaker, and the charger must be hard-wired. You will also need #4 wire from the breaker to the charger to meet NEC requirements if you are using NM-B or THW/THWN, or #6 if you can get THWN-2, THHN wire.

I believe you are incorrect. The "50" in 14-50 refers to amperage at the breaker - 50A. You must then calculate a 20% decrease to the outlet; hence, a 14-50 outlet can only deliver a max of 40A. In other words, you cannot get 48A safely from a 14-50 outlet. Others, please chime in if I got this wrong.
Yup, you have it right.

14-50 = 40 Amps on a 50amp breaker
Hardwire on 60amp breaker = 48amp continuous
Hardwire on 70amp breaker = 50amp continuous

Ahh yes. My bad. Typo on my part.

Meant to write 40A draw for a 50A breaker; and 48A draw for a 60A breaker.

It is 80% of the breaker. Fingers not fast as the mind. Oops.

No need for unnecessary house fires! All is good. Now, let's see those Airs coming!

I have been waiting for the Lucid home charger. Since I am not getting a confirmed availability date, I am looking at options. Anyone familiar with the Wallbox Pulsar Plus?

I have been waiting for the Lucid home charger. Since I am not getting a confirmed availability date, I am looking at options. Anyone familiar with the Wallbox Pulsar Plus?
This is the situation I’m in. Wallbox is great. Once the Lucid charger comes out I’ll swap it for that.

I charged my car for the second time last night, used the charger included with the Air, no problems charging at home except I had difficulty disconnecting the charger cable and had to use a an adjustable wrench to press the release button down enough for it to release. Has anybody else had a similar issue ?

I charged my car for the second time last night, used the charger included with the Air, no problems charging at home except I had difficulty disconnecting the charger cable and had to use a an adjustable wrench to press the release button down enough for it to release. Has anybody else had a similar issue ?
Did you make sure the car was unlocked? The car needs to be unlocked to release the charging cable. If your car was unlocked, then something is wrong.

I find that the locking of the cable is the most annoying feature Of the Air. I just want to go out and put away the cable without having to bring my fob or phone to unlock the car. I wish I could turn that feature off and allow the plug to be removed once charging has stopped.

I find that the locking of the cable is the most annoying feature Of the Air. I just want to go out and put away the cable without having to bring my fob or phone to unlock the car. I wish I could turn that feature off and allow the plug to be removed once charging has stopped.
This feature is not unique to Lucid. Works essentially the same with my Tesla Model S.

I too gave up waiting for the (whatever it is). I ordered a Juice Box 40 for hard wire. Hope it gets here before the electrician. I had planned to do a NEMA plug and then call the electrician back to hard-wire the (whatever it is) when it's available, but Lucid is mum tells me they have better things to do. Reading how Lucid is uniquely incompatible with the EV chargers is kinda bummer. No wonder it's free.

Also the locking of the charger cable is necessary. When you come out of the mall you don't want to see the charger cable not connected and dirt stuffed in your Lucid's receiver. I've already seen a trumper pickup parked across a charger bank blocking access with impunity. Lots of trumpers charged - up with hate who can't wait to stick it to themselves.

I'm in a bad mood after reading the Times article.

Yeah but then any old jerk could unplug your car while you’re charging at EA or whatever.

This feature is not unique to Lucid. Works essentially the same with my Tesla Model S.
All ”can” lock, but most have settings (like my $30k Leaf) which allow you to automically unlock when charging is complete. It is just a software setting. I can just go up to my Leaf in the garage and unplug it. havign to unlock the car first is a nuisance.

Yeah but then any old jerk could unplug your car while you’re charging at EA or whatever.
Locked while charging, unlock when not. Otherwise some old jerk is tying up the charger because they are not coming back to unplug when done. Again, it should be a software setting. The jerks who want to tie up the charger can keep it locked. The rest of us who want to be considerate can have the plug unlock when done in case we are late getting back to the car.

Back