Lucid Home Charging Station (LCHCS)

WJA

Cars
Air Grand Touring
DE Number
I was interested in the Lucid Connected Home Charging Station (LCHCS) and had an electrician take a look on how to get a 100 amp service to the garage. Since our house was built in 1996, we have a 400 amp service with 300 amps being used currently. The electrician suggested putting a 100 amp breaker in the main house panel and run a 600v, 3 wire (1 gauge) with ground to the garage. Fortunately, we were able to run 11 feet from the panel through a closet ceiling and then out the concrete foundation wall to the garage. Still waiting for the availability of the LCHCS to connect to the wires.

I was interested in the Lucid Connected Home Charging Station (LCHCS) and had an electrician take a look on how to get a 100 amp service to the garage. Since our house was built in 1996, we have a 400 amp service with 300 amps being used currently. The electrician suggested putting a 100 amp breaker in the main house panel and run a 600v, 3 wire (1 gauge) with ground to the garage. Fortunately, we were able to run 11 feet from the panel through a closet ceiling and then out the concrete foundation wall to the garage. Still waiting for the availability of the LCHCS to connect to the wires.
I did essentially the same but had a subpanel and NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage in case I get my car before the LCHCS is available and actually installed. This plan was blessed by a relevant person at Lucid, with the expectation I will use vehicle-to-home power as backup for short blackouts.

My electrician is running a 100amp line into a 100 amp Hardwire and a 50 amp 14-50 split so I can have 2 chargers hooked up and just use 1 or the other.

1 gauge?

1 gauge wire was what he recommended for the 100amp service. We used copper instead of aluminum.

I did essentially the same but had a subpanel and NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage in case I get my car before the LCHCS is available and actually installed. This plan was blessed by a relevant person at Lucid, with the expectation I will use vehicle-to-home power as backup for short blackouts.
We have a 120 volt receptacle in the garage and thought we would use that until the LCHCS was available and hooked up. The electrician also indicated that if the 100amp breaker was in the main electrical panel, it would make it easier for bidirectional usuage.

We have a 120 volt receptacle in the garage and thought we would use that until the LCHCS was available and hooked up. The electrician also indicated that if the 100amp breaker was in the main electrical panel, it would make it easier for bidirectional usuage.
Right, I wasn't clear - I have a 100 amp breaker in my main electrical panel, and a 50 amp breaker in the new subpanel. The plan is to eventually swap out the outlet and 50 amp breaker for the LCHCS and perhaps another 100 amp breaker.

I fear this is likely to be a painful expensive update for me - my main panel (into the house) is only 200A, and with an existing battery / solar setup I fear a number of parts will need to be replaced.

If anybody in the Bay Area has a trustworthy electrician they’d recommend, pls DM

I fear this is likely to be a painful expensive update for me - my main panel (into the house) is only 200A, and with an existing battery / solar setup I fear a number of parts will need to be replaced.

If anybody in the Bay Area has a trustworthy electrician they’d recommend, pls DM
I’ve got a well recommended one coming out to install my charger and upgrade the mains for VTL. If they’re good I’ll let you know.

Shouldn't be a problem. Your electrician can tell you if adding a 60 amp circuit (breaker size) would be OK, or 50 amp, or 40 amp. There's generally no need for expensive panel rework, and 200A is enough.

VTH is a much different proposition than just adding a circuit for a vehicle charging adapter. You'll need to move the backed-up circuits to a subpanel and add a transfer switch. Much more work involved.

Shouldn't be a problem. Your electrician can tell you if adding a 60 amp circuit (breaker size) would be OK, or 50 amp, or 40 amp. There's generally no need for expensive panel rework, and 200A is enough.
This would be great
however (I believe) my 200A is split into 2 x 100A. And since I want the V2H I will need a 100A circuit just for the charger.

Now - I am the first to admit I know nothing of US house electrics - it just seems like this might well mean a new panel. Since I already have Solar + 10KWH battery / whole house system with auto cut off, I am hoping this can some how integrate into that… more research to be done.

in the meantime I have a 50A dryer circuit (that is no longer used) - so this will work for the daily charging, but not the V2H

I just hope they release the size and design of the transfer switch soon. Its getting close to crunch time for many people!

Back