Lucid Home Charging Installation Complete

WJA

Cars
Air Grand Touring
DE Number
I was interested in the Lucid Connected Home Charging Station (LCHCS) and had an electrician take a look on how to get a 100 amp service to the garage. Since our house was built in 1996, we have a 400 amp service with 300 amps being used currently. The electrician suggested putting a 100 amp breaker in the main house panel and run a 600v, 3 copper wire (1 gauge) with ground to the garage. Fortunately, we were able to run 11 feet from the panel through a closet ceiling and then out the concrete foundation wall to the garage.

Installation was a little tricky because the Lucid Home Charging Box required the electrician to install wire lugs on the wire since the Lucid Charging Unit did not have wire holders just screws. The job turned out great and I'm charging at a rate of 1 mile/minute with the Lucid Home Charging Unit vs 1 mile/hour with the 110 volt plug in that I was using before I installed the Lucid Home Charging Unit.

Attachments

• LUCID HOME CHARGER 1.jpg
    LUCID HOME CHARGER 1.jpg
    643.2 KB · Views: 711
  • LUCID HOME CHARGER 2.jpg
    LUCID HOME CHARGER 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 485
The Lucid charger was $1200 (+ tax & delivery) and installation including materials (1 gauge copper wire) was $1200

Just to avoid confusion, each install cost will be different depending on a number of factors including the capacity you have in your panel, difficulty of upgrade, etc. For example, we needed to increase our panel from maxed out 200A panel to 320A in order to accommodate the charger, among others. Power company required us to new, larger conduit from street, which is buried and required jackhammering thru underground rock. At the end of the day, had to do it but it was definitely higher than $1200 install. Just be mindful that everyone's install is different.

Just to be clear, love the speed of the Lucid charger at 80A and hope that the V2H capability gets figured out soon...

My install was around 600$ but it was very simple. I only have 150 amp service to my Townhouse but I went ahead and installed it on a 100 amp breaker at the full 80 amp setting. Normally I get the full 18kw charging speed however this summer I've noticed that my charging speed has varied from the normal 18kw all the way down to 7kw. I have no idea if this had to to with BMS for the battery or if it has to do with electricity demand from other items in the home and the Lucid Charger is doing some sort of smart management of power delivery? Here in Dallas it does get VERY hot in my garage as the car charges. Currently it's pulling 7kw and both of my HVACs are not running so I suspect it might have to do with battery temp.

Agree - I have asked my Lucid connections for update ASAP. Will report back here if/when I hear anything
Yeah maybe you will have more success. I wrote a letter a while back to senior (very) management and never received a reply.

Any idea how much Qmerit is taking from the sub-contractor quotes?

200A Existing Master Panel
A 60+ foot run of 2AWB aluminum, 120a breaker and sub-panels providing two connections for a Lucid charger and a 14-50 came back at $5K.
Copper adds another $800.... Going with 60A breaker and 48A charging only saved $90, so using the same 2AWB.
Guessing the 60-75' run is driving a lot of this, plus company is out of Austin. So 3-4 hours of drive time.

This is in San Antonio. With no other data points I was thinking $3K worse case, so big number...plus the charger.

I have a couple of other RFPs out so will see how it stacks up.

Any idea how much Qmerit is taking from the sub-contractor quotes?

200A Existing Master Panel
A 60+ foot run of 2AWB aluminum, 120a breaker and sub-panels providing two connections for a Lucid charger and a 14-50 came back at $5K.
Copper adds another $800.... Going with 60A breaker and 48A charging only saved $90, so using the same 2AWB.
Guessing the 60-75' run is driving a lot of this, plus company is out of Austin. So 3-4 hours of drive time.

This is in San Antonio. With no other data points I was thinking $3K worse case, so big number...plus the charger.

I have a couple of other RFPs out so will see how it stacks up.

Even worse, apparently they are out of San Antonio.

Always wise to get a few quotes, as you are doing. You get a sanity check on pricing and possibly some better ideas on ways to solve your problem.

Back