Lucid-EA connection failure?

Possible new OTA causing handshake error with charging station if not EA’s issue?
Yes. I had an error after the 1.2.19 update that caused the car to not authenticate the EA stations. Called Lucid. They toggled it back, I rebooted the car and it then worked.

What did they toggle back? I was just unable to charge at any station at my local EA while plug and change worked fine for the Taycan owner next to me and same for the Ionic owner. EA couldn’t figure it out.
Yes. I had an error after the 1.2.19 update that caused the car to not authenticate the EA stations. Called Lucid. They toggled it back, I rebooted the car and it then worked.

What does “toggled it back” mean in this context?

What does “toggled it back” mean in this context?
There was some module that was turned off in the software. Don’t ask me what it was, but essentially it connects the payment authorization to EA. It needs to be turned on to charge. The update turned it off. I had just charged at EA right before the update on a trip and on my drive home, I tried to charge and it would not ‘authorize’.

There was some module that was turned off in the software. Don’t ask me what it was, but essentially it connects the payment authorization to EA. It needs to be turned on to charge. The update turned it off. I had just charged at EA right before the update on a trip and on my drive home, I tried to charge and it would not ‘authorize’.
Interesting. I did talk to Lucid service after EA couldn’t figure it out, and the rep I talked to thought it was a problem with this specific location, but based on what you’re saying it may not be, particularly since the same thing even happened to Kyle after he did the software update. If I have trouble while I’m on my trip I’ll call Lucid and see if they can turn the module on like they did for you. Do you know if your EA station was in complementary charging (free) mode? Kyle’s was and mine was.

Last edited:
Charged my GT for the first time at an EA charger in Anthem (North Phoenix). 4 out of 4 stations working. Drove in, plugged in, and charged away. Easy, no issues. I’m on 1.2.21.

Charged my GT for the first time at an EA charger in Anthem (North Phoenix). 4 out of 4 stations working. Drove in, plugged in, and charged away. Easy, no issues. I’m on 1.2.21.
what speeds were you getting? I was there the day before twice (back and forth from Sedona) and was getting like 172kws or so from the 350kw stations there

Yeah for what it’s worth I’ve had problems at this EA charger here in Rhode Island before, but this is the first time I wasn’t able to charge at all. The other times only the 350kw ones failed. But it’s gotta be partly Lucid’s fault as it was kind of embarrassing to have the Taycan Cross Turismo (in a gorgeous burgundy color) pull up and charge then leave while I was on the phone with EA and Lucid for an hour and never got one kW into the car.

what speeds were you getting? I was there the day before twice (back and forth from Sedona) and was getting like 172kws or so from the 350kw stations there
Well. I didn’t precondition and I was only charging from 70 to 80%. I only got 90kW on the 350kW station.

Theory time. Many of the EA and Chargepoint charging issues are issues between the charger plug and the Lucid’s port. Something on the Lucid is too close to the edge of the spec value.

Interesting. I did talk to Lucid service after EA couldn’t figure it out, and the rep I talked to thought it was a problem with this specific location, but based on what you’re saying it may not be, particularly since the same thing even happened to Kyle after he did the software update. If I have trouble while I’m on my trip I’ll call Lucid and see if they can turn the module on like they did for you. Do you know if your EA station was in complementary charging (free) mode? Kyle’s was and mine was.
Mine was at an EA station. I had issues with this particular one in the past so I thought it was EA specific and travelled to another. The same issue occurred at the second EA station. I called Lucid and they said something in the software that communicated with EA was “off”. This was whatever communicated with EA to authorize the charge. With it off, the connection did not happen and it was denied. I don’t remember what the specific piece of software was. Lucid turned it on. I rebooted my car and it worked. This had to be the 1.2.19 update since I had just charged at an EA station on a trip Immediately prior to the update. I updated the software and the next day had driven for a bit and then left for home. While sopping to charge in Bakersfield, this issue happened.

Mine was at an EA station. I had issues with this particular one in the past so I thought it was EA specific and travelled to another. The same issue occurred at the second EA station. I called Lucid and they said something in the software that communicated with EA was “off”. This was whatever communicated with EA to authorize the charge. With it off, the connection did not happen and it was denied. I don’t remember what the specific piece of software was. Lucid turned it on. I rebooted my car and it worked. This had to be the 1.2.19 update since I had just charged at an EA station on a trip Immediately prior to the update. I updated the software and the next day had driven for a bit and then left for home. While sopping to charge in Bakersfield, this issue happened.
Sounds like Kyle's situation alerted their CS as to what was going on.

I hope so. The service rep I talked to on the phone wasn’t aware of the problem, but she said call back if it happened at another station and she’d escalate.

Has anyone heard if and how Lucid is addressing this issue, which seems pretty widespread?

Is it common knowledge that only one of the two EA charging cables can be used at a time? I just met an EA tech who told me they built them with two cables for redundancy (in case one breaks). He said the installation of the chargers is messed up all the time by independent contractors, and the design was from a company in Italy. Was news to me…

The EA would not work for me today until I finally hooked into the 4th charger. As I was there the EA technician arrived. He said that EA is eliminating the direct recognition of the Lucid account when the EA charger is plugged in and that it will now only work using your app. He said that EA has so many accounts with different manufactures that starting tomorrow it will only work with an app.

Does not sound right to me. And which app is he talking about. The Lucid App or the EA app in order to get the free charging?

The EA would not work for me today until I finally hooked into the 4th charger. As I was there the EA technician arrived. He said that EA is eliminating the direct recognition of the Lucid account when the EA charger is plugged in and that it will now only work using your app. He said that EA has so many accounts with different manufactures that starting tomorrow it will only work with an app.

Does not sound right to me. And which app is he talking about. The Lucid App or the EA app in order to get the free charging?

This is not correct. The EA people are generally clueless.

I spend 2 hours 20 minutes at a EA location. Tried every single charger. saw several Porsches and Rivians come and go on the 350 chargers that failed for me. Lucid and EA people could not get teh chargers working for me via phone and my credit card would not work. car is essentially bricked and will be there until Lucid can figure out what to do.

I spend 2 hours 20 minutes at a EA location. Tried every single charger. saw several Porsches and Rivians come and go on the 350 chargers that failed for me. Lucid and EA people could not get teh chargers working for me via phone and my credit card would not work. car is essentially bricked and will be there until Lucid can figure out what to do.
Yikes, what state of charge were you at when you got there? Lucid can’t direct you to another nearby charger even if it’s level 2? EA definitely can suck, the last time I went to the one near my house this happened to me, zero chargers worked meanwhile Taycan and Ioniq came and went just fine. The car wasn’t bricked though, I still had 26% so just went home, I was just testing to see if EA updating the software had helped (it made it worse at that location). Then 2 weeks later I charged fine at another EA.

Yikes, what state of charge were you at when you got there? Lucid can’t direct you to another nearby charger even if it’s level 2? EA definitely can suck, the last time I went to the one near my house this happened to me, zero chargers worked meanwhile Taycan and Ioniq came and went just fine. The car wasn’t bricked though, I still had 26% so just went home, I was just testing to see if EA updating the software had helped (it made it worse at that location). Then 2 weeks later I charged fine at another EA.
Lucid picked up my car 8 days ago, did a bunch of tests and currently have concluded that there is something wrong with the charge port. They are in the process of replacing the charge port, a labor intensive job I am told, and hopefully will have the car ready on Saturday but will confirm with me on Friday. I have a road trip planned next week, going to Phoenix, Flagstaff and Page Az. I definitely have some concerns and will charge at an EA station in San Diego before attempting the trip. If it does not go well will take my Model X. It seems strange that so many owners are having issues with fast chargers.

Back