Lucid-EA connection failure?

The only issue I have had where I was there for an extended time was resolved when I reset my car. Other times, it’s been on EAs end. Just charged 2 hours ago, only issue was that the 350 charger delivered a max 155 🤷‍♂️ oh well. Not a big fan of the EA network, but I’ll suffer through it for the free charging

Is it common knowledge that only one of the two EA charging cables can be used at a time? I just met an EA tech who told me they built them with two cables for redundancy (in case one breaks). He said the installation of the chargers is messed up all the time by independent contractors, and the design was from a company in Italy. Was news to me…

That sure explains a lot, and I’m almost certain that it’s not common knowledge. I plugged in to an EA charger for the very first time last night, at a neighbourhood WALMART, complete with human feces in an impressive pile on the curb right by my charging stall. I have pictures too if anyone cares to see them.

I should have moved my car but by the time I saw and almost stepped on said human feces, I had just spent ten minutes plugging and unplugging the charging cable, in multiple attempts to get the EA 150W charger to talk to my car and start charging.

When I finally got the to work, I was in no mood to unplug my car, move to an adjacent charging stall and start all over again.

Frickin’ WALMART shoppers…

Anyway, while fighting with the EA charging stall and cable, I did wonder about that. How were two cars supposed to use both charging cables on the same stall? Turns out the answer is, they’re not.

Last edited:
That sure explains a lot, and I’m almost certain that it’s not common knowledge. I plugged in to an EA charger for the very first time last night, at a neighbourhood WALMART, complete with human feces in an impressive pile on the curb right by my charging stall. I have pictures too if anyone would care to see them.

I should have moved my car but by the time I saw and almost stepped on said human feces, I had just spent ten minutes plugging and unplugging the charging cable, in multiple attempts to get the EA 150W charger to talk to my car and start charging.

When I finally got the to work, I was in no mood to unplug my car, move to an adjacent charging stall and start all over again.

Anyway, while fighting with the EA charging stall and cable, I did wonder about that. How were two cars supposed to use both charging cables on the same stall? Turns out the answer is, they’re not.
There’s 2 not just for redundancy in case one breaks but also just because charging port locations on vehicles are not standard, it’s why an Ioniq has to back in, easier for them to use the left cable than the right one. Some of the EA stations are less stupid and allow the cable to be extended but it’s annoying when cable 1 doesn’t work and EA asks you to try cable 2, so you have to pull it around the vehicle and it seems to me it puts stress on the charging port, and you can only move your car if the station next to you isn’t occupied.

Well. I didn’t precondition and I was only charging from 70 to 80%. I only got 90kW on the 350kW station.
That’s actually within the car’s charging curve at that high SOC and is an excellent speed for that SOC.

I spend 2 hours 20 minutes at a EA location. Tried every single charger. saw several Porsches and Rivians come and go on the 350 chargers that failed for me. Lucid and EA people could not get teh chargers working for me via phone and my credit card would not work. car is essentially bricked and will be there until Lucid can figure out what to do.
Is this the problem with plug and charge? They should've been able to disable that feature to allow you to charge

@hydbob,

I have no idea. I’m still dealing with it. The Lucid tech for Utah (good guy — I spent the morning with him going over other issues with the car in my garage) has been at the EA charge site with my car for last several hours. I have an near uninterrupted stream of charging error messages from 4pm to 11pm. I was responsible for the 4pm-6:30 messages and he for the 730pm to 930 pm messages.

Lucid just called me to say they are going to tow the car to somewhere. Thanks.

They never offered to disable that feature. And I gues the tech didn’t think of that either.
Should mention it lol. It was a known issue for a few owners and famously for Kyle Connor.

@bunnylebowski,

It was 200 miles of range left. i did not want to drive 50 miles home from charging station as that was uphill (about 2,500 vertical feet) so would have consumed at least 100 miles of range. (Car has 240 miles on the odometer total and is averaging just about 2 miles per kWh so far. I’ve hear of people averaging over 3M/kWh but I chalk that up as BS). I can charge at home but as I only have 110 right now, charging would set me back nearly a week — already did that once, not going to do it again.

Chargers were not broken, several Taycans, Rivians, and others came and went in the 2 hours 20 minutes I was there. I was sure to use only chargers that I had seen at least one or two other cars successfully use in my presence.

All who observed the debacle were extremely thankful that they were not stupid enough to buy a Lucid.

I ttied to pay for the electricity with every credit card I had. The Lucid roadside assistance people asked me to work on inserting credit card quickly right after I plugged in car. Each time did not work. The EA equipment recognized the car enough to know it was a Lucid and therefore cancelled the credit card purchase . . . but refused to charge the car. Frustrating to say the least.

I told them that if it did not work the first 50 times, the same tactics were unlikely to work then next 50. It seems that the Tech tried the same tactics I did for the next 50 times. . . . and amazingly got the same result.

Really do not want the car back unless trim is up to mid-1980’s Chrysler standards and “Surreal Sound System” sounding equal to or better than the built in speaker of my iPhone. (I was expecting 21 speakers to sound better than a single iPhone speaker. I guess the system is aptly names “surreal”). Finally, there is the charging issue. If it cannot be charged, it has, at best, the 200 miles of range it indicates, likely less though.

@bunnylebowski,

It was 200 miles of range left. i did not want to drive 50 miles home from charging station as that was uphill (about 2,500 vertical feet) so would have consumed at least 100 miles of range. (Car has 240 miles on the odometer total and is averaging just about 2 miles per kWh so far. I’ve hear of people averaging over 3M/kWh but I chalk that up as BS). I can charge at home but as I only have 110 right now, charging would set me back nearly a week — already did that once, not going to do it again.

Chargers were not broken, several Taycans, Rivians, and others came and went in the 2 hours 20 minutes I was there. I was sure to use only chargers that I had seen at least one or two other cars successfully use in my presence.

All who observed the debacle were extremely thankful that they were not stupid enough to buy a Lucid.

I ttied to pay for the electricity with every credit card I had. The Lucid roadside assistance people asked me to work on inserting credit card quickly right after I plugged in car. Each time did not work. The EA equipment recognized the car enough to know it was a Lucid and therefore cancelled the credit card purchase . . . but refused to charge the car. Frustrating to say the least.

I told them that if it did not work the first 50 times, the same tactics were unlikely to work then next 50. It seems that the Tech tried the same tactics I did for the next 50 times. . . . and amazingly got the same result.

Really do not want the car back unless trim is up to mid-1980’s Chrysler standards and “Surreal Sound System” sounding equal to or better than the built in speaker of my iPhone. (I was expecting 21 speakers to sound better than a single iPhone speaker. I guess the system is aptly names “surreal”). Finally, there is the charging issue. If it cannot be charged, it has, at best, the 200 miles of range it indicates, likely less though.
A happy stupid Lucid buyer here!

@bunnylebowski,

This sounds exactly like the issue where plug and charge was trying to register itself with the EA backend system and it was getting screwed up. So it would just not let you charge at all. Essentially, Lucid has to disable the plug and charge in your car for it to work.

That sure explains a lot, and I’m almost certain that it’s not common knowledge. I plugged in to an EA charger for the very first time last night, at a neighbourhood WALMART, complete with human feces in an impressive pile on the curb right by my charging stall. I have pictures too if anyone cares to see them.

For a minute, I was in disbelief. I thought seeing human feces can only happen in China, not in America. Friggin Walmart shoppers… 🤣
(Sorry you had to endure that…)

The EA would not work for me today until I finally hooked into the 4th charger. As I was there the EA technician arrived. He said that EA is eliminating the direct recognition of the Lucid account when the EA charger is plugged in and that it will now only work using your app. He said that EA has so many accounts with different manufactures that starting tomorrow it will only work with an app.

Does not sound right to me. And which app is he talking about. The Lucid App or the EA app in order to get the free charging?
Got my agt today. EA wouldnt let me charge for free. Lucid delivery person was with me at EA. She called Lucid and EA but it couldnt be figured out. They said net work is down. However, using my credit card i could charge perfectly. I think i charged from 63 to 75 %. It cost $28. Its more than gas car.

For a minute, I was in disbelief. I thought seeing human feces can only happen in China, not in America. Friggin Walmart shoppers… 🤣
(Sorry you had to endure that…)
2 out of 3 EA charging locations have this problem. While driving back from Florida after taking delivery I've been to EA location surrounded by containers on side of a Walmart. While we were charging a car passed us and pulled up in the lanes of the containers. We ended up leaving that place without charging required range and stopped at another location.

Got my agt today. EA wouldnt let me charge for free. Lucid delivery person was with me at EA. She called Lucid and EA but it couldnt be figured out. They said net work is down. However, using my credit card i could charge perfectly. I think i charged from 63 to 75 %. It cost $28. Its more than gas car.
Check your mobile app “Lucid Charging Plan” to see if your car is registered with EA. Mine was registered few days after I got my AGT.

$28 for 12%??? $2.2/kW is ridiculous, is this typo? Anyway, it’s best to condition before charging to speed up charging.

There’s 2 not just for redundancy in case one breaks but also just because charging port locations on vehicles are not standard, it’s why an Ioniq has to back in, easier for them to use the left cable than the right one. Some of the EA stations are less stupid and allow the cable to be extended but it’s annoying when cable 1 doesn’t work and EA asks you to try cable 2, so you have to pull it around the vehicle and it seems to me it puts stress on the charging port, and you can only move your car if the station next to you isn’t occupied.
Correct. The charging port on my wife's (hopefully soon to receive BMW i4M50) is located on the back right rear on the passenger side.

Makes it difficult to decide placement of your level 2 charger in your garage, as who knows what brand of car you will get the next time around.

I had 2 charging stations installed for this type of situation.(one I had the builder install prior to my buying the house, the 2nd I had installed last year when I knew we were getting my wife an EV as well. If they were all on the same side, then I would not have bothered with the 2nd 240 outlet.)

Check your mobile app “Lucid Charging Plan” to see if your car is registered with EA. Mine was registered few days after I got my AGT.

$28 for 12%??? $2.2/kW is ridiculous, is this typo? Anyway, it’s best to condition before charging to speed up charging.
No typo, i was surprised of the price. It could possibly have been 63-80. The Lucid delivery person was with me and she called EA and supposedly i was in their system. There were lots of side things going on. The lucid person's hotspot didnt work and she had to call the service center for pass word. Still didnt work. It ended up with me hotspoting her with my cell. Also her credit card reader malfunctioned. And the service center couldnt take credit card payment over the phone. Once my hotspot got into action wr could manually enter my creaditcard number in her reader. I had to pay for lug nuts and center piece after having the aero covers removed.

No typo, i was surprised of the price. It could possibly have been 63-80. The Lucid delivery person was with me and she called EA and supposedly i was in their system. There were lots of side things going on. The lucid person's hotspot didnt work and she had to call the service center for pass word. Still didnt work. It ended up with me hotspoting her with my cell. Also her credit card reader malfunctioned. And the service center couldnt take credit card payment over the phone. Once my hotspot got into action wr could manually enter my creaditcard number in her reader. I had to pay for lug nuts and center piece after having the aero covers removed.
63-80% = $1.53/kW, still crazy. You must charge for a long time…

Reactions: Bel
Are you in a state with charge per minute? This is the reason a number of states enforced charge per kW due to the various speeds cars charge at they deemed it unfair on owners to foot the bill.

. I’ve hear of people averaging over 3M/kWh but I chalk that up as BS).
Not BS at all……..

1665725453317.jpeg

Back