Lucid-EA connection failure?

Dortreo

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT
Has anyone had a problem getting their Lucid to charge at an EA charger due to Lucid not connecting with EA?

I was at an EA site, and 4 of 4 chargers had charge connection issues so that I got a “charging stopped” message and “charging session failure“ message from the EA chargers. This occurred usually a few seconds into the charging session. I called EA customer service, which reset the chargers remotely and also tried remote starting a charging session but the problem persisted. We tried for about 45 minutes to get one of the chargers to work but no dice. The EA rep noted that the chargers had been in use all day without any difficulty, and they showed a normal operating status. I then tried paying for a charging session with a credit card, but that didn’t work either.

In the meantime, a Rivian pulled up and used one of the chargers that I had tried without any difficulty. After the Rivian’s owner’s kid took lots of pictures of my Lucid, I drove to a nearby Chargepoint site and charged the car without any difficulty.

As 4 of 4 EA chargers didn’t work and the Rivian charged without a problem, I can only guess that the problem is with Lucid’s connection with EA. Has anyone experienced this?

When I charged at my local EA yesterday, I kept getting the connection error when I plugged into the one working 350 charger (the 2nd 350 was down). I tried 3 times and it gave me that message each time. I then moved to the 150 next to the charger and it worked just fine. I agree that EA seems to be having some issues with Lucid recently.

Even if it was billing, the credit card should have worked instead. Did you try a different EA to see?

When I charged at my local EA yesterday, I kept getting the connection error when I plugged into the one working 350 charger (the 2nd 350 was down). I tried 3 times and it gave me that message each time. I then moved to the 150 next to the charger and it worked just fine. I agree that EA seems to be having some issues with Lucid recently.

Yup, I’ve also been getting the connection error message more often but never at 4/4 chargers at a site. And with other EVs using the EA chargers just fine, it has to be a problem on the Lucid side.

Yup, I’ve also been getting the connection error message more often but never at 4/4 chargers at a site. And with other EVs using the EA chargers just fine, it has to be a problem on the Lucid side.
EA is in the process of updating their sites so for the past few weeks, there have been numerous instances of connection errors, charging errors, stopping before completed, etc for any user, not specific to Lucid. The charging has been free at most of the sites in the Bay Area in norcal for the time being.

I charge at the Century City EA chargers all the time. I consistently get the error for 2 out of the 4 EA chargers. Other cars don't seem to have that issue. Super annoying.

Was reading the NY Times article about charger issues. Discovered EA is VW. No wonder it's crap. It's the penalty they were supposed to pay for defrauding their consumers. No wonder there is no maintinance. No wonder it's unrelyable. VW should be logoed on every EV charger so we know who deserves the blame. The other issue, one that I have not found discussed here, is the general acceptance of ICEs parked in our charger spots. I have trouble with anger/rage controll. If I was in a desperate state of charge and found ICEs parked blocking chargers my rage would make me take the schrader valves from their wheels and put the cap back on. I thought of just bringing a hammer and testing the chip resisance of their windshield...seeing how far the wipers will bend before breaking... someone stop me...I don't have an electric car yet but I'm coming to a neighborhood near you and I have anger issues.
Would it make the point if I just left my car T-boned in front of them so they can't get out? I'd be passive-agressive polite and leave a note on their cars:
"Sorry about this but I was low on charge and you are blocking the charger. Now my battery is dead and I can not move the car. I'm out looking for a tow truck. Will move ASP. I know your time and convenience is important to you. Thanks for understanding. "

What do you folk think ? I am so certain this is going to happen (ICE blocking chargers -- i've already seen the trump trucks doing this locally) that I'm working on a business card design so I have the "note" ready. Anyone got ideas for a phone number to put on the cards so they can call me? (not me ... something awful).

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/16/...tion=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

Last edited:
This happened to me last week while I was down in Goleta and then again on my way home at the Paso Robles EA station where I had previously charged two days earlier with no problem. I also went through multiple chargers at the Goleta location with no success using EA Customer Service to reset multiple times, etc. Also saw Taycan, Rivian, and VW ID4 all pull up and charge with no problems while I was struggling. Finally went to a nearby ChargePoint Level2 charger and got some additional battery charge to start the trip home. Paso Robles wouldn't work so used an EVGo station in Prunedale that worked just fine. The explanations I got from EA Customer Service and Lucid Customer Service were that it had something to do with the EA system upgrades and the fact they were giving everybody "free" charging during the upgrades. Anyway, a couple of days after I got home I tried my local EA 150Kw station and it worked just fine. Now I'm a little nervous about long distance trips but at least I can use ChargePoint and EVGo as backups if necessary.

Was reading the NY Times article about charger issues. Discovered EA is VW. No wonder it's crap. It's the penalty they were supposed to pay for defrauding their consumers. No wonder there is no maintinance. No wonder it's unrelyable. VW should be logoed on every EV charger so we know who deserves the blame. The other issue, one that I have not found discussed here, is the general acceptance of ICEs parked in our charger spots. I have trouble with anger/rage controll. If I was in a desperate state of charge and found ICEs parked blocking chargers my rage would make me take the schrader valves from their wheels and put the cap back on. I thought of just bringing a hammer and testing the chip resisance of their windshield...seeing how far the wipers will bend before breaking... someone stop me...I don't have an electric car yet but I'm coming to a neighborhood near you and I have anger issues.
Would it make the point if I just left my car T-boned in front of them so they can't get out? I'd be passive-agressive polite and leave a note on their cars:
"Sorry about this but I was low on charge and you are blocking the charger. Now my battery is dead and I can not move the car. I'm out looking for a tow truck. Will move ASP. I know your time and convenience is important to you. Thanks for understanding. "

What do you folk think ? I am so certain this is going to happen (ICE blocking chargers -- i've already seen the trump trucks doing this locally) that I'm working on a business card design so I have the "note" ready. Anyone got ideas for a phone number to put on the cards so they can call me? (not me ... something awful).

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/16/...tion=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article
Okkkkkkkk ... See that you wrote this pretty early (or not early enough) in the morning, and now that you have got that out of your system, how is your day going? :) :)

Monday blues settling in? :)

Last edited:
Lift up on the handle while the unit is communicating with the car so the connection gets mad, otherwise it may timeout without starting. Also have the Lucid App open to initiate charging from it if necessary. Those have worked when I have had issues.

One time my session was terminated after 1 minute or so, and I found out from calling EA that the cause was the incorrect time on the station and hence no synch.
I was advised to move to an adjacent station.
No explanation was offered re. how the incorrect time came about.

Yes, lifting up on the handle helps with the air.

Lift up on the handle while the unit is communicating with the car so the connection gets mad, otherwise it may timeout without starting. Also have the Lucid App open to initiate charging from it if necessary. Those have worked when I have had issues.
Yeah tried lifting up every time per instructions from EA Customer Service but no luck.

I just tried charging at EA for the first time and received connection error, I disconnected and reconnected several times and still got the error. Called EA and they reset the charger remotely but still got error. Called Lucid and basically they told me the same thing, connect and reconnect which did not work. Told me to try EVgo which was nearby, I set up an account but once again had difficulty connecting to the charger. They will be sending mobile service to see what the issue is. In the mean time will continue to charge at home using Lucid mobile charger

I just tried charging at EA for the first time and received connection error, I disconnected and reconnected several times and still got the error. Called EA and they reset the charger remotely but still got error. Called Lucid and basically they told me the same thing, connect and reconnect which did not work. Told me to try EVgo which was nearby, I set up an account but once again had difficulty connecting to the charger. They will be sending mobile service to see what the issue is. In the mean time will continue to charge at home using Lucid mobile charger
EVGo seems to work best if you have an account and the app and then use the EVGo app to activate that specific charger, but maybe that also failed for you? I’ve had it fail when using the EVGo card or credit card.

To add the list of issues with EA, here locally in Phoenix at Bell Road I'm getting horrible speeds of 100kw maximum on 150 kw stations...hehe. at least it works I suppose

Anytime I’ve had a charger error with EA (outside of the charging being out of service), I’ve reset the car and it’s started charging. EA sucks sadly, when it works it’s nice! Buttt they are struggling with reliability

As best I can tell the problems I was having with EA in Goleta and Paso Robles were caused by EA offering "free" charging to everybody during their upgrade project. Apparently the fact it was free to everybody caused a negative interaction with Lucid's free three year plan. Kyle on Out Of Spec Reviews just had the same problem when he tried to charge but they figured out how to disconnect the Lucid "free" plan and then the EA charger did work.

Back