Lucid Connected Home Charging Station

I understand a standby generator has an automatic transfer switch because the generator is permanently wired in and "always ready", which won't be the case with the Lucid as it won't be connected 24/7 just in case the power goes out. So, I am assuming there will be some sort of mechanical switch we will have to throw to start power flowing into the house from the car. I would foresee (in my case) when the grid power goes, turning off the breakers for my two A/C units, connecting the car to the wall unit and then throwing this switch. On the other hand, when grid power is restored, presumably there will be some sort of automatic switch, or the Lucid wall unit will detect the grid coming on and shut down the unit?
Can be automatic or manual (cheaper) but typically not a combination. Either type makes sure that utility power and lucid power arent both switched-in at the same time when lucid powers the house.

I’m waiting for my solar roof. Once it’s here, I’ll ask advice on improvement if my 200 amp circuit breaker box and bi-directional option.
Suggest you talk with your solar provider and share the latest Lucid EVSE documentation to incorporate the future bidirectional capability into your initial design. I installed solar last year, and even though I had planned on leveraging solar to charge my Air, I didn't consider it during the initial solar system design. Now I'm trying to understand after the fact my options to charge the Air directly from solar as well as consider V2H charging during blackout situations. My solar installation includes a battery that feeds five critical load circuits (specific load for specific duration based on battery capacity) if the grid goes off . Trying to understand if the V2H can supplement those circuits to power the rest of the house...

So I have a 100 year old house, with several electric bandaid applied
Noted a 200 amp wall panel I garage, with pretty much all of that spoken for.
If I want the Lucid home charger, and need to devote 100 amps to that, do I need to contact local electric company for upgrade? Just an electrician?
Thanks for input
I'm currently in process of upgrading our service now as I'm in the same boat. Talk to an electrician, who will in turn talk to the power company as they can't do one without the other. For me, the process has been (i) talked to electrician about what i wanted to do (ii) electrician pulled permit with city for electrical upgrade (iii) power company came out to survey site and tell us what they wanted us to do (iv) scheduling trenching company to dig from pull box as all our electrical lines are underground, (v) electrician to replace existing 200amp panel with upgraded one and add 120amp panel for dedicated charger and any other power needs in future. Given age of your house, it's possible that whoever the inspector is could want other things upgraded. Just fair warning as I've seen that in other instances...

Actually the 14-50 outlet is rated for 50 Amps, that is why it is on a 50A breaker. You are correct that continuous use appliances like EVSEs can only use 80% of what a circuit is rated for. Hence, the EVSE on a 50A circuit can only draw 40A.
As I said, I think.

THanks Bobfm.
I still have fuses for part of my house, labeled with tidy 100 year old handwriting. My electric company has a email for electric car questions, I may see what response I get from them.

For some odd reason I can't access my charger's web server though its IP address on my home network - only on the (SSID=serial number) network broadcast by the charger during setup. Through the setup network's console, I can see that the unit has a strong wifi signal connection to my home network. Anyone with similar experience? Suggestions?

I'm currently in process of upgrading our service now as I'm in the same boat. Talk to an electrician, who will in turn talk to the power company as they can't do one without the other. For me, the process has been (i) talked to electrician about what i wanted to do (ii) electrician pulled permit with city for electrical upgrade (iii) power company came out to survey site and tell us what they wanted us to do (iv) scheduling trenching company to dig from pull box as all our electrical lines are underground, (v) electrician to replace existing 200amp panel with upgraded one and add 120amp panel for dedicated charger and any other power needs in future. Given age of your house, it's possible that whoever the inspector is could want other things upgraded. Just fair warning as I've seen that in other instances...
I am in the same boat. Currently I have 225 service and a dedicated 20 amp circuit for my EVSE. I would have to trench the lawn to go to 400 service.

I am curious as to what your estimates are for the package.

Thanks.

Steve

Finally got a chance to test mine properly. I am running 100a and seeing 1mile per min/17kw charge rates.
5F4DF891-AA7D-4104-B949-5D358BAB174B.webp

For some odd reason I can't access my charger's web server though its IP address on my home network - only on the (SSID=serial number) network broadcast by the charger during setup. Through the setup network's console, I can see that the unit has a strong wifi signal connection to my home network. Anyone with similar experience? Suggestions?
I have the same issue. It’s very strange. It’s definitely connected to Wi-Fi. The web interface for the charger is pretty awful.

I would expect closer to 19.2 kW for 80A wiring and 100A circuit breaker. Is the dip switch set for 80A?
No. I have confirmed 100A breaker, correct wiring, and dip switch is set to to the max.

No. I have confirmed 100A breaker, correct wiring, and dip switch is set to to the max.
Did you have to upgrade your service panel? I wonder why your not getting 19.2 kW?

Finally got a chance to test mine properly. I am running 100a and seeing 1mile per min/17kw charge rates. View attachment 6136
Seems like the Air always L2 charges by some 10% or so less than the amount allowed by the EVSE. Conservative?

I don't have the Lucid Wall Charger, but I have several Tesla 80A chargers (at various locations) and they always read 17kW when charging. Occasionally, I have had 18kW, but it's mostly 17kW. Could be due to lower voltage than 240V.

I have read that fast charging often will cause premature aging of the battery pack.
My questions are:
1) is this true?
2) is the Lucid charger considered a fast charger?

I have read that fast charging often will cause premature aging of the battery pack.
My questions are:
1) is this true?
2) is the Lucid charger considered a fast charger?
Yes and no

I don't have the Lucid Wall Charger, but I have several Tesla 80A chargers (at various locations) and they always read 17kW when charging. Occasionally, I have had 18kW, but it's mostly 17kW. Could be due to lower voltage than 240V.
220 VAC would explain the 17 kW charging rate.

Yes and no
Sorry, to clarify: these are answers to the questions, not "yes and no" as in "maybe," haha.

Yes, fast charging kills the battery faster. No, the Lucid EVSE is not a 'fast charger'.

Sorry, to clarify: these are answers to the questions, not "yes and no" as in "maybe," haha.

Yes, fast charging kills the battery faster. No, the Lucid EVSE is not a 'fast charger'.
Gracias, sirs.

Back