Lucid Connected Home Charging Station

It's it ready to hookup to bidirectional charging?
It is, but there are still many regulatory hoops to jump through before it gets approved. Not only that, but there will be additional hardware required to get it to work.
Additional hardware with potentially expensive installation.

I currently have a transfer switch for the generator. I should be good to go for bi-directional.

I currently have a transfer switch for the generator. I should be good to go for bi-directional.
I believe if it were that simple, it would already be approved. I’m not positive, but I’d assume there’s more to it than your transfer switch.

Looks like the Home Charging Station is available now for everyone, Shipping at the end of November.

I believe if it were that simple, it would already be approved. I’m not positive, but I’d assume there’s more to it than your transfer switch.
I asked. No time line or pricing for additional hardware / software for bi-directional. 40amps or 80amps at home makes no difference for my use case. I think I will wait until I can evaluate/buy everything at once.

Debated on preordering or waiting until the Lucid bidirectional charging option is authorized. Decided to go ahead and order it and just have it sit until the regulatory situation gets sorted and it is approved for bidirectional charging. My opinion is that the majority of Lucid owners really don't need it right now since the power cord that comes with the car does a wonderful job charging at 36 miles of range added per hour of charging on a 50 amp curcuit. Just prior to getting the car, I did install my 50 amp breaker and had the electrician run 100 amp wiring to where my 14-50 NEMA plug is located and where I plan to install the bidirectional charger. I will need to install a transfer switch and possibly a soft load regulator if the Wunderbox does not regulate the initial surge of power when the vehicle to house transfer starts.
My rationale for buying now was simply that I don't trust the supply chain situation and would prefer to be in the "ready position" once the regulatory hurtles are cleared. I will get the $1,000 tax credit this year for the recent installation and cost of the Lucid bidirectional charger. Then in 2023 I should be able to get another $1,000 tax credit for the installation of the birectional charger, the cost and installation of the transfer switch, swapping out the 50 amp breaker for a 100 amp breaker, the soft load regulator (if needed) and the cost of moving my A/C unit since it was installed prior to a change in code where now I need to move it a few feet further away from the electrical meter in order to get the bidirectional setup permit approved. Lucid said their charger should be ready to ship by the end of Noverber. Whether it does or drifts out to December or even longer really doesn't matter as I have little expectation that the regulatory situation will be straightened out by then. If it is, it will be a pleasant surprise.

I actually got an email today touting their new "accessories" and the charger was on the list. It won't let you add it to the cart though as it says "0 available to ship". If you go to the email there are links to installing the box that spell it out in detail. I'm doing the same thing...running everything for 100 amp service and temping a 50 amp breaker until the bidirectional charger is available for purchase...hopefully will get my car before the charger becomes available!

I actually got an email today touting their new "accessories" and the charger was on the list. It won't let you add it to the cart though as it says "0 available to ship". If you go to the email there are links to installing the box that spell it out in detail. I'm doing the same thing...running everything for 100 amp service and temping a 50 amp breaker until the bidirectional charger is available for purchase...hopefully will get my car before the charger becomes available!
Oh! I was able to place my order and did get a confirmatin email. Maybe I just slipped under the wire regarding their allottment. Hmmmm?

Could you post details on what the electrician did to make ready for Lucid charger? Is the Nema 14-50 outlet on the same breaker as charger or did you run separate lines from the panel? Did you have to upgrade the panel for 100 amp circuit?

Could you post details on what the electrician did to make ready for Lucid charger? Is the Nema 14-50 outlet on the same breaker as charger or did you run separate lines from the panel? Did you have to upgrade the panel for 100 amp circuit?
If you don't necessarily need the faster speed, you could just wire the new EVSE to your 14-50 outlet. Mine is wired to my 30amp outlet right now because my 100amp line is inaccessible atm.

My only concern with ordering and getting the 80 amp circuit installed is if that becomes redundant when the bi directional stuff is released and all of a sudden you need a 100 amp circuit or something.

My only concern with ordering and getting the 80 amp circuit installed is if that becomes redundant when the bi directional stuff is released and all of a sudden you need a 100 amp circuit or something.
It will always need a 100amp circuit in order to charge at 80amps, by code. You should run a 100amp line with a 100amp breaker, so that it can charge at a continuous 80amps.

My electrian first assessed the existing panel to determine if it could handle the increase in amp demands the Lucid charger curcuit would make. Once confirmed, he then pulled the 220 35 amp breaker, ran 100 amp wiring in a conduit to the wall I want to install the Lucid charger. He added a terminal box there and then connected a NEMA 14 50 socket to it which would accept the Lucid charging cord the car comes with. He then placed a 50 amp breaker in the panel for this curcuit. When the Lucid charger comes, he will hard wire the Lucid charger into the terminal box, swap out the 50 amp breaker with an 100 amp breaker. He will also need to install a automatic transfer switch to isolate the electrical lines running to the panel from the transmission lines leading to the house. He may have to do some other stuff which I am not aware since I am not an electrian. This may include a soft load regulator which, as I understand, slowly ramps up the amps into the house so as not to trip cuitcuts as various motors turn on since they typically surge to turn on.

My electrian first assessed the existing panel to determine if it could handle the increase in amp demands the Lucid charger curcuit would make. Once confirmed, he then pulled the 220 35 amp breaker, ran 100 amp wiring in a conduit to the wall I want to install the Lucid charger. He added a terminal box there and then connected a NEMA 14 50 socket to it which would accept the Lucid charging cord the car comes with. He then placed a 50 amp breaker in the panel for this curcuit. When the Lucid charger comes, he will hard wire the Lucid charger into the terminal box, swap out the 50 amp breaker with an 100 amp breaker. He will also need to install a automatic transfer switch to isolate the electrical lines running to the panel from the transmission lines leading to the house. He may have to do some other stuff which I am not aware since I am not an electrian. This may include a soft load regulator which, as I understand, slowly ramps up the amps into the house so as not to trip cuitcuts as various motors turn on since they typically surge to turn on.
This is correct. You've got a good electrician.

Thanks for info! Is the soft load regulator the same as a soft starter that several folks have added to their home AC systems? I wonder if this inrush current protection is installed on the appliance or is it installed at your load center thereby possibly protecting your system from any surges regardless of their source?

Thanks for info! Is the soft load regulator the same as a soft starter that several folks have added to their home AC systems? I wonder if this inrush current protection is installed on the appliance or is it installed at your load center thereby possibly protecting your system from any surges regardless of their source?
This is way above my understanding. I had the impression that it is applied between the source (i.e., the bidirectional charger and the control panel) but I will know for sure once I get to the instillation stage. But there are electrical engineers that participate in this forum that are in a better position to give you the information you seek.

I think you are correct - add soft starts on the A/C compressors - they are by far the biggest motor load in a house. Surge protection is a separate thing and worth asking your electrician about if you're having electrical work done at your panel. You can protect your whole house against powerline electrical transients by installing a single surge supressor at the main circuit breaker panel - about $100-150 in parts and pretty simple to install - the surge suppressor is a small box that is mounted inside the panel, or takes the place of one of the circuit breakers.

Sounds like you had an unused circuit that you replaced with a 100A breaker for the Lucid biredirectional. No need to upgrade the panel.

Somehow I feel as soon as I place order of the home charge station, Lucid will release a feature to schedule charge from mobile charge...🤐

Back