RESOLVED Lucid charging started and stopped notification

Thanks to all who volunteered their advice. Turns out it was the 14-50 outlet, and yes it was the $___ Leviton. Working now.

Back to Ronald Reagan: "Trust but Verify"

Scott, it a lot more verifying than trusting.

Glad it was an easy fix. And now you understand what an emerging technology much of this is. Or moving target.

A friend Claimed his new Audi E-tron was defective, due to poor home charging. Kept bugging Audi. And me. I brought up the receptacle. He said it could not be his cheap receptacle, because he has been successfully charging his hybrid for years from it. I pointed out his hybrid drew 18 amps for two hours a night and the Audi drew 40 amps for six plus hours. The E-tron simply now exceeded what the receptacle was designed to handle. He shook his head and asked: how the hell I am, just an owner, supposed to know and understand that, when Audi and his electrician didn't.

It's important to note that Qmerit just refers business to local electricians. Qmerit does not control or supervise the work.

Last edited:
It's important to note that Qmerit just refers business to local electricians. Qmerit does not control or supervise the work.
In some cases, they buy local electrical companies, so this is only true most of the time.

The QMerit-owned electrical companies are a far smaller percentage.

Thanks to all who volunteered their advice. Turns out it was the 14-50 outlet, and yes it was the $___ Leviton. Working now.

Here's what really burns me: I called Qmerit (Lucid's "preferred" installer) for this job and they sent out ADI Electric to my home in Camarillo. I assumed they were using a quality outlet, so I did not investigate. Now, I watch Qmerit's YouTube video and they are warning car owners not to install those cheap Leviton outlets (yes, the same cheap Leviton outlet that their own installer put in my wall).

That would annoy me to no end as well. Qmerit charges a premium and you should get it.

In some cases, they buy local electrical companies, so this is only true most of the time.

The QMerit-owned electrical companies are a far smaller percentage.

When I bought my Lucid, my first BEV, I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be spending hours on a forum talking about serious mains electrical issues. Or that my decades of reading the NEC would somehow be relevant and useful. I assumed this would have been all figured out by now, with a decade of EVs out there, and it was plug and play for me. BOY WAS I WRONG.

When I bought my Lucid, my first BEV, I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be spending hours on a forum talking about serious mains electrical issues. Or that my decades of reading the NEC would somehow be relevant and useful. I assumed this would have been all figured out by now, with a decade of EVs out there, and it was plug and play for me. BOY WAS I WRONG.
We'll get there. To me, general EV-charging knowledge among electricians does not seem to be significantly better than it was ten years ago.

Here's what really burns me: I called Qmerit (Lucid's "preferred" installer) for this job and they sent out ADI Electric to my home in Camarillo. I assumed they were using a quality outlet, so I did not investigate. Now, I watch Qmerit's YouTube video and they are warning car owners not to install those cheap Leviton outlets (yes, the same cheap Leviton outlet that their own installer put in my wall).

The forum is certainly a great place to get information and advice. The answers here are oftentimes more complete and accurate than the ones you will get from customer service. That certainly held true in this thread, despite your initial doubts. I have learned to trust what I find here and I'm sure you will as well.

Something to be said about the quality of service in the US.
I can never be sure unless I do the work myself, but my fund of knowledge and my time are limited.
I'm still emotionally bruised by a plumber recommended by Angie's who replaced my water heater.
The heater was still good but I wanted to replace it prophylactically because of the heater's age and because I didn't want to deal with an emergency.
Fast forward to 3 years later: $20 K water damage and weeks of having a zillion industrial fans drying my house due to a slow water leak which would have been detected much earlier if the guy'd just put in a $20 heater tray.
Very poor result from a recommended professional doing a pro-active job.

Yeah it’s tough when the Lucid cable is red, as certain flashing sequences (the manual gives details on what each one means) could mean a cable fault, but the culprit wasn’t the plug after all. I was fortunate as my co-workers husband, who is an industrial contract electrician who does large jobs and also installs Chargepoint chargers for local businesses, so I got quality (very expensive, $10,000!) work, that involved a panel upgrade and copper wire trenched to my detached garage. I’ve charged the Lucid from 5-80% in one go and the connectors were barely warm. Luckily the solar company paid for the work since they would have needed to pay to upgrade the panel anyway to do my solar install, so they didn’t ask for an itemized bill from my electrician which also included the copper trench to the garage and outlet for the charger, just the invoice 😁

Literally how I started my company in 2011. I assumed enterprise companies had webapp and API security figured out, as I had spent decades in it. BOY WAS I WRONG.

Consider if there’s an opportunity in what you know ;)

Qmerit charges a premium and you should get it.
As a follow up, I got a call today from Qmerit's customer service. Apparently, Lucid Motors contacted them about my situation, which means that Lucid is trolling these forums (a good thing).

Qmerit apologized for the installation of the Leviton outlet by ADI, and let me know that they have subsequently banned that brand in all installations by their independent installers. Qmerit also offered me a $200 credit toward future work (which I will use toward a new, hard wired charger yet to be installed). I give Qmerit high marks for stepping up here.

As a follow up, I got a call today from Qmerit's customer service. Apparently, Lucid Motors contacted them about my situation, which means that Lucid is trolling these forums (a good thing).

Qmerit apologized for the installation of the Leviton outlet by ADI, and let me know that they have subsequently banned that brand in all installations by their independent installers. Qmerit also offered me a $200 credit toward future work (which I will use toward a new, hard wired charger yet to be installed). I give Qmerit high marks for stepping up here.
Both Lucid and Qmerit did the right thing.

Hello,
My car is back to starting and stopping charging every hour or so. I called the service center and they indicated that I should not keep it plugged in all the time.
I have been told earlier that I should keep it plugged in. Now I am kind of confused about whether should I keep the car plugged in or not.
Also, not sure if anyone else has had the same issue with notifications lately. I can always turn off notifications from the app - but that might hide if there is any problem.
My charger (ChargePoint) is hardwired and I also rebooted it multiple times (including tripping circuit breaker) and also tried with Lucid charger but still receiving those notificiations.
Thanks

I enr tto Houston for a week, kept the car plugged in. I have it on scheduled charging so I never got norfications even when waking it up. I think maybe don't keep it plugged in when not on a dedicated charger? I'm sure there's some verbiage there that's being misread or misunderstood between?

I have owned my Touring since the end of April and I did not have these issues until about 3-4 updates ago. That is when I started noticing the issue where the charging randomly stops. When I open the app, it’ll say “cable connected” and as soon as the vehicle wakes up, it’ll continue charging. Last night, it stopped charging five times from 5% to 80%. I’ve called customer service about this before but I was finally fed up and called again. They’re going to send a mobile tech out to assess and if that doesn’t solve it, then they’ll arrange for the car to be picked up. I’m not sure what any of this is going to do and find out but I am fed up with this issue so I guess some action is better than none at this point.

I have owned my Touring since the end of April and I did not have these issues until about 3-4 updates ago. That is when I started noticing the issue where the charging randomly stops. When I open the app, it’ll say “cable connected” and as soon as the vehicle wakes up, it’ll continue charging. Last night, it stopped charging five times from 5% to 80%. I’ve called customer service about this before but I was finally fed up and called again. They’re going to send a mobile tech out to assess and if that doesn’t solve it, then they’ll arrange for the car to be picked up. I’m not sure what any of this is going to do and find out but I am fed up with this issue so I guess some action is better than none at this point.
Have you tried narrowing down the problem by charging it elsewhere? Using a different cable?

Have you tried narrowing down the problem by charging it elsewhere? Using a different cable?
I’ve tried the slower charging cable, but since it only charges 2-3 miles per hour, even an overnight charging is not sufficient for me. I am starting to keep a log now of what % I am at when I start charging to see if it’s only below a certain % that I start charging that this issue appears.

I’ve tried the slower charging cable, but since it only charges 2-3 miles per hour, even an overnight charging is not sufficient for me. I am starting to keep a log now of what % I am at when I start charging to see if it’s only below a certain % that I start charging that this issue appears.
Have you tried to charge it at someone else’s home? Many of the problems like you mention can be traced to the outlet itself and not the car.

Have you tried to charge it at someone else’s home? Many of the problems like you mention can be traced to the outlet itself and not the car.
Thanks for the suggestion. I planned to do that this week, but also had the mobile tech come out and will be ordering me another charger. I’ll try the new charger and will also try charging at a friends house and will update here thereafter. Hopefully, I’m able to narrow down the issue.

Hello,
My car is back to starting and stopping charging every hour or so. I called the service center and they indicated that I should not keep it plugged in all the time.
I have been told earlier that I should keep it plugged in. Now I am kind of confused about whether should I keep the car plugged in or not.
Also, not sure if anyone else has had the same issue with notifications lately. I can always turn off notifications from the app - but that might hide if there is any problem.
My charger (ChargePoint) is hardwired and I also rebooted it multiple times (including tripping circuit breaker) and also tried with Lucid charger but still receiving those notificiations.
Thanks
I've had exactly the same problem with my Touring for the last month or two, and never prior to that . My car is always plugged into a level 2 charger in my parking garage, with the charge limit set to 80%. Over the last month, the car has been initiating roughly 20-second long charging sessions every 20-30 minutes, all day and all night, with notifications coming to my app. It hasn't done this previously. I texted customer care and I got the following things to try:
  • Set the charging limit to a lower level for 90-120 minutes and then bring it back up to my original level (80%). See if the notifications continue. They did.
  • Unplug the car and plug it back in. See if the notifications continue. They did.
  • Reset the infotainment system by pressing the Air logo for 10-15 seconds. See if the notifications continue. I haven't tried this yet since my car is parked about a 20 minute walk away.
Customer care seemed pretty confused by the problem. After a while, they elevated it to the App department since they thought it was an app problem, but I informed them that these were not phantom charging sessions being recorded by the app - the car is actually charging (i saw it happen while I was in the garage). Hearing that, they seemed to change their tune. No service appointment as yet, and no answer from Lucid as to whether this behavior is unusual and/or harmful in any way to the battery and the car.

This problem is distinct from the other problem on this thread, that the car stops charging before reaching its charging limit. If anyone has any ideas or has heard more from Lucid, I'd love to hear it.

Back