"Lucid CEO says automakers have to stop 'obsessing' over Tesla"

scal_air

Referral code - ZQOO2D7O
Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Referral Code
ZQOO2D7O
Recent Perer Rawlinson interview.

In a somewhat related note, I've been seeing a few click bait articles listing the "best EV sports cars" and the Air is not in them although the Kia Ioniq is listed. Utter rubbish but it's important to keep the Lucid buzz going to keep from being forgotten

Rawlinson is finally bringing attention to one of the most overlooked aspects of EV charging: home charging. I believe that all the emphasis on DC fast charging has allowed or even encouraged government legislators and regulators to overlook some things that should already be going on right now, using building codes as the primary leverage point:

- require that all new residential construction include provision for L2 charging
- require the all structural renovation work on residential properties include L2 charging
- require that existing multi-family residential structures present a plan to install L2 charging for all residents within a specified time frame, aligning with automaker plans to convert to electric propulsion

Building codes are already replete with a wide array of requirements. In south Florida where buildings have to cope with hurricanes, the codes get as granular as specifying the maximum distance allowed between framing nails, how many framing straps must be applied and where, the wind load ratings for windows and doors, etc. Snow load requirements are similarly detailed in other regions where I have lived.

Adding a requirement that residential structures must have a 240-volt plug in a location accessible to a car is straightforward and nowhere near the level of government overreach or burden on free building enterprise that some ludicrously assert would be the case.

Anyone surprised at Rawlinson saying "The car's battery is not like a nickel cadmium battery where topping off is bad.".

Depends on the type, but most have Li Ion. I typically charge to 80-90%.

Anyone surprised at Rawlinson saying "The car's battery is not like a nickel cadmium battery where topping off is bad."....
He probably meant that you don't have to let a Li-ion battery discharge fully before recharging.

NiCd batteries would develop a "memory" for the way they were used. Lots of short uses that didn't charge/discharge them completely would quickly reduce their overall storage. Li-Ion batteries don't suffer that fate, but they do have other use modes that -can- reduce their useful lifetime if they're not managed well. Frequent over-charging and -discharging them, holding them at high levels of charge, and extremes of temperature can reduce their lifetime. There are whole disciplines dedicated to managing lithium batteries today that prevent this from happening much.

Back