Lucid Air GTP drive system fault

So my Lucid was driving fine for the first 39 miles then it went into turtle mode I got a drive system fault and wouldn’t let me accelerate. I just picked the car up from the Goose Island service center in Chicago and was on the way home didn’t even have the car for more then a hour. Anyone know what could be the reason for the drive system fault
I have had my GT for one month with 2,600 miles. This afternoon was driving 10 mph in parking lot (with 328 miles left on range) when it came to a halt. the DRIVE SYSTEM FAULT message came up. 2 hours later, I am still sitting in the parking lot waiting for my tow. I will NEVER trust the reliability of this car again. Please let me know final diagnostic for your auto and if ever fully resolved to your satisfaction. I want my money back!!!

I have had my GT for one month with 2,600 miles. This afternoon was driving 10 mph in parking lot (with 328 miles left on range) when it came to a halt. the DRIVE SYSTEM FAULT message came up. 2 hours later, I am still sitting in the parking lot waiting for my tow. I will NEVER trust the reliability of this car again. Please let me know final diagnostic for your auto and if ever fully resolved to your satisfaction. I want my money back!!!
That sucks. Try valet card reboot. I’ve actually gotten false drive system errors that were caused by a nearby radar installation, always cured by a reboot. If the reboot doesn’t make the car driveable then yeah something bigger is wrong unfortunately.

Try a reboot. If that doesn't work, it needs service.

As for trusting it, it's up to you, but every car has some failures. Not a single car brand has had none. I trust mine on multi-thousand mile road trips, despite having had one service issue, and I have no regrets. 🤷‍♂️

Try a reboot. If that doesn't work, it needs service.

As for trusting it, it's up to you, but every car has some failures. Not a single car brand has had none. I trust mine on multi-thousand mile road trips, despite having had one service issue, and I have no regrets. 🤷‍♂️
I think that each of our cars could be a ticking timebomb and even though I have not had any major mechanical faults, yet I worry about taking it on long trips. Does Lucid still have some unknown failure modes, I think so. Will they find them sooner or later and fix them, yes. Unfortunatly it will take a critical mass of cars on the road to find the remaining design/manufaturing/supplier issues.

I think that each of our cars could be a ticking timebomb and even though I have not had any major mechanical faults, yet I worry about taking it on long trips. Does Lucid still have some unknown failure modes, I think so. Will they find them sooner or later and fix them, yes. Unfortunatly it will take a critical mass of cars on the road to find the remaining design/manufaturing/supplier issues.
Sure, or they could not be. 🤷‍♂️

That's true of every single car on the planet. If you weren't reading this forum, you'd be happily driving your car with not a care in the world. If it *does* happen to you, the important part is if service takes care of you well.

Drive it, enjoy it, and if it happens to you deal with it then. No use in worrying about something that doesn't exist (for you, right now).

Just my $.02.

(And I had my HV battery and Wunderbox replaced, so I speak from experience)

Sure, or they could not be. 🤷‍♂️

That's true of every single car on the planet. If you weren't reading this forum, you'd be happily driving your car with not a care in the world. If it *does* happen to you, the important part is if service takes care of you well.

Drive it, enjoy it, and if it happens to you deal with it then. No use in worrying about something that doesn't exist (for you, right now).

Just my $.02.

(And I had my HV battery and Wunderbox replaced, so I speak from experience)
You have "Lucid blinders" on. As I said in another post, in 50 years of driving, I have never had a Ford or Toyota vehicle leave me stranded in the middle of a highway. Lucid still has some single points of failure in these cars and maybe the earlier cars that were built at a slower pace and hand checked are more reliable but there are still issues that should make current owners a little nervous. Just my 2 cents.

You have "Lucid blinders" on. As I said in another post, in 50 years of driving, I have never had a Ford or Toyota vehicle leave me stranded in the middle of a highway. Lucid still has some single points of failure in these cars and maybe the earlier cars that were built at a slower pace and hand checked are more reliable but there are still issues that should make current owners a little nervous. Just my 2 cents.
At one point in time, did for Ford stand for Found On Road Dead? 🤣

I think we all have our own blinders on.

“This particular brand never ever caused me a problem” does not equal “this particular brand has never caused anyone a problem.”

Just the same as “this particular brand caused this person over here a problem” does not equal “this particular brand will definitely cause everyone who uses the brand problems.”

It’s all a matter of how bad your luck is.

I’m glad you’ve had good luck with your Fords and Toyotas! Every single Ford I have ever had has failed me. No Toyotas have. But then they also had this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–2011_Toyota_vehicle_recalls

So basically, every car fails, it’s just a matter of if it happens to you. I’m glad you’ve escaped unscathed this far, and I hope your luck continues to hold!

Last edited:
So basically, every car fails, it’s just a matter of if it happens to you.
I agree. Over many years of owning many makes and models, virtually every car or truck has had a major issue. From complete mysterious electrical failures on a 1960 Austin Healy Sprite, 70 Chevy Nova (headlights, flaky alternator), Hondas, Fords, Chrysler, Plymouth, Infiniti (30 hours labor and $600 in parts for a blown headlight??), plus motorcycles and airplanes and boats. Things break. Designs become questionable in hindsight. Fancy features ahead of their time. Why are the cruise controls and audio controls in one orientation on one of my current vehicles and the other on the others? Why does BMW make their motorcycles for people with legs an inch longer than mine?
But, I drive them, enjoy them for the reasons I bought them. And my biggest whine is when the service people can't fix an issue, so that I have to keep taking it back to the shop. So I empathize with those who want to enjoy their car but find it is in the shop more than their garage, but not so much for those who find their phone or travel mug doesn't fit the way they want.

The final diagnostic of my car the first time it broke after 12 miles was:

JOB 1: TCU
"Cause: Performed system test and found no communication with vehicle. Tested TCU and found system has 13.8 volts on all three power inputs
and .02 ohms on both grounds. Vehicle needs TCU. Replaced TCU and performed system test. uploaded system test with CSV file. Sent CSV file to
engineering team. After review of the file we found mico DCDC was shorted. Also found internal fuse in MPB was blown during event. During inspection
found RDU has low isolation values."

JOB 2: Battery Pack
Concern: Upon performing diagnosis on 12V system failure, found MPB to be faulty.
Cause: internal fuse in MPB was blown during event.

JOB 3: Powertrain, Rear Drive Unit RDU
Concern: During inspection found RDU has low isolation values.
Cause: has low isolation values.

They resolved all this within 30 days but recently I have had so many software problems but hopefully they replace my TCU again and I never have a problem with the car again

Also for the people calling me a Lucid Hater I am not I genuinely believe this company is going to be the future with EV and I also have a large holding in their stock which I bought when it was still CCIV. I am just simply sharing my experience and reaching out to the community to see if anyone else has had similar issues because from what I know I was one of the first people to ever get the turtle of death and report it. Lucid Mechanics have been nothing but nice to me and transparent with what is happening with my car. I am not mad that my car keeps breaking is it frustrating yes but it happens when you buy a first gen car just simply documenting and sharing my experience that is all.

I agree. Over many years of owning many makes and models, virtually every car or truck has had a major issue. From complete mysterious electrical failures on a 1960 Austin Healy Sprite, 70 Chevy Nova (headlights, flaky alternator), Hondas, Fords, Chrysler, Plymouth, Infiniti (30 hours labor and $600 in parts for a blown headlight??), plus motorcycles and airplanes and boats. Things break. Designs become questionable in hindsight. Fancy features ahead of their time. Why are the cruise controls and audio controls in one orientation on one of my current vehicles and the other on the others? Why does BMW make their motorcycles for people with legs an inch longer than mine?
But, I drive them, enjoy them for the reasons I bought them. And my biggest whine is when the service people can't fix an issue, so that I have to keep taking it back to the shop. So I empathize with those who want to enjoy their car but find it is in the shop more than their garage, but not so much for those who find their phone or travel mug doesn't fit the way they want.
But how many times has a car just shut down with no warning while you were driving?

But how many times has a car just shut down with no warning while you were driving?
Years ago, twice. Driving on the freeway at night on the 101 near the Silverlake area everything shut down. No lights, engine off, frantically trying to restart. Suddenly, the engine kicked over, lights back on, good to go. Decided it would be better to drive on the streets where it died again. Voltage regulator was going out. No warning, just suddenly no electricity.

Starting with the Austin Healey, at least a dozen. Nova, 2-3. Chrysler minivan, only once but it was fatal. BMW motorcycle F650, twice, the second time I had to push it home in 100 degree weather, 2 miles. Ford truck? Don't remember, but the local service people knew the truck well. And then there was an electrical system failure while I was flying a Piper Turbo Lance, at night, but my flashlight batteries worked and the engine was an internal combustion one.
Not saying everyone will have had experiences like mine, but stuff happens.

Starting with the Austin Healey, at least a dozen. Nova, 2-3. Chrysler minivan, only once but it was fatal. BMW motorcycle F650, twice, the second time I had to push it home in 100 degree weather, 2 miles. Ford truck? Don't remember, but the local service people knew the truck well. And then there was an electrical system failure while I was flying a Piper Turbo Lance, at night, but my flashlight batteries worked and the engine was an internal combustion one.
Not saying everyone will have had experiences like mine, but stuff happens.
Ok, it never happened to me and I would not expect a $170K "high tech" car to do it.

Also for the people calling me a Lucid Hater I am not I genuinely believe this company is going to be the future with EV and I also have a large holding in their stock which I bought when it was still CCIV. I am just simply sharing my experience and reaching out to the community to see if anyone else has had similar issues because from what I know I was one of the first people to ever get the turtle of death and report it. Lucid Mechanics have been nothing but nice to me and transparent with what is happening with my car. I am not mad that my car keeps breaking is it frustrating yes but it happens when you buy a first gen car just simply documenting and sharing my experience that is all.
I skimmed through the thread and didn’t see a remark about you being a hater although I wouldn’t blame you if you went there given how things have gone with your car. You’ve shown a remarkable attitude that not many of us could duplicate under the same circumstances.

Back