Lucid Air GTP drive system fault

I also went through a similar problem cause my drive system failed also they took 5 hours trying to tow it but thankfully lucid said they would cover all towing damages since they couldn't send anyone out to release the breaks.
This is interesting, as the Lucid manual actually describes a tow truck mode, but that option does not exist where the manual says it does in the Pilot Panel. Of course if your car is bricked, you probably can’t access the pilot panel anyway. You are not the first to have had the car towed incorrectly due to Lucid not being able to talk to the tow driver or dispatch service in time. Im not sure how Lucid could work around this though as the brake is supposed to engage if the car fails so it doesn’t roll away, but then you need to release the brake to tow correctly but can’t do that with a dead battery. So there needs to be a manual override somewhere, but I guess there isn’t? This is a problem with Tesla also, no?

Just wanted to provide a quick little update. I got some good news and a lot of bad news but the good news is They upgraded my rental to a BMW M3 and they are offering finical compensation. The bad news is that 4 Parts have been broken in my car and it's been 3 weeks and I still have not gotten my car back. They replaced the Wunder Box and then flew out engineers to Fix my battery. They now have to fix the Telematics control unit and it also seems that a couple of sensors are malfunctioning too. So there it is my quick little update

This is beyond bad.

You talk about towing but these cars (as are many others) are only to be hoisted on to a flatbed for transport (hence the need one cable eye). Wheels can be moved with dollies under the wheels if brakes engaged.

This is beyond bad.
Tell me about it, now multiple improper towing incidents (ours included), 12V issues going rampant, other failures yet to be resolved, extremely long service times. And no one at Lucid senior management is willing to say "we are sorry this is not what we intended", even if not publicly but at least to those of us directly impacted.

You talk about towing but these cars (as are many others) are only to be hoisted on to a flatbed for transport (hence the need one cable eye). Wheels can be moved with dollies under the wheels if brakes engaged.
Yeah that’s what I mean by tow, not an actual tow. The owners manual describes all that but the dollies are for when the parking brake cannot be engaged. As of right now it seems like the brake is stuck on, and Lucid gives no instructions in the manual for that situation, but instead says engage tow truck mode which basically puts the car in neutral.

Attachments

• 894DEF90-D772-4219-A4D5-04B8FC1D3E42.png
    894DEF90-D772-4219-A4D5-04B8FC1D3E42.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 135
"we are sorry this is not what we intended",
This alone is what pissed me off the most with my incident. How hard would it be to get something from Lucid Sr Management saying this. I would have appreciated it and probably backed down my frustration with them but it was all left in the hands of the Service Center and Regional Service Center Manager. I was the one that contacted Zak to let him know about the issues not the other way around. He should be made aware of cars sitting in the shop longer than 2 weeks and call people to just say "This isn't good and not the experience we intended" etc. Before people say this is unreasonable, yes it would be for a company like Ford, VW etc. but when Lucid has so little cars on the road and these issues are popping up more and more then Sr. Management needs to come out of hiding and call people.

Heck, even sending some free swag wouldn't break the bank for them just to show something. It's not going to get your car back any quicker but sometimes little things can go a long way.

Yeah that’s what I mean by tow, not an actual tow. The owners manual describes all that but the dollies are for when the parking brake cannot be engaged. As of right now it seems like the brake is stuck on, and Lucid gives no instructions in the manual for that situation, but instead says engage tow truck mode which basically puts the car in neutral.
We had a towing company for a while so checked with my old Forman. If the brake has locked the wheels he suggested to lift at the jack points and slide dollies under the locked wheels before you drag it up on the bed.

Yet another example of the book mentioning things that don’t exist yet

Just wanted to provide a quick little update. I got some good news and a lot of bad news but the good news is They upgraded my rental to a BMW M3 and they are offering finical compensation. The bad news is that 4 Parts have been broken in my car and it's been 3 weeks and I still have not gotten my car back. They replaced the Wunder Box and then flew out engineers to Fix my battery. They now have to fix the Telematics control unit and it also seems that a couple of sensors are malfunctioning too. So there it is my quick little update
Real talk- considering you were literally driving home with a new car that broke down… is lemon law a viable option here?

I would 100% want a new/different car and not that one, but that’s just me.

Real talk- considering you were literally driving home with a new car that broke down… is lemon law a viable option here?

I would 100% want a new/different car and not that one, but that’s just me.
I think it’s still a 30 day rule. Needs to be in shop for over 30 days in total before lemon law kicks in.

This is interesting, as the Lucid manual actually describes a tow truck mode, but that option does not exist where the manual says it does in the Pilot Panel. Of course if your car is bricked, you probably can’t access the pilot panel anyway. You are not the first to have had the car towed incorrectly due to Lucid not being able to talk to the tow driver or dispatch service in time. Im not sure how Lucid could work around this though as the brake is supposed to engage if the car fails so it doesn’t roll away, but then you need to release the brake to tow correctly but can’t do that with a dead battery. So there needs to be a manual override somewhere, but I guess there isn’t? This is a problem with Tesla also, no?
Every car I have driven that was made in the last 5 years or so has an electronic parking brake. Tow operators are accustomed to using dollies, or if it is just a straight pull onto and off the flatbread, trays. I’m not sure why that wasn’t done in this case- I’d expect any tow truck to have both trays and dollies on hand.

I wonder if by tow mode they just mean the feature that disables shock/tilt alarms? I’m looking at my car and there is no tow truck mode as described in the user manual, must be for a future update?
Ya. I just checked as well and didn’t see it. :(

Final Update Got my car back drove it around a couple of days. Everything seems to be working fine I do get a couple of random errors here and there like real lights not working but nothing too major.
Thing Fixed:
Wonder box- Replaced
High Voltage Battery- Tuned and Fixed
Rear drive unit- Replaced
TCU- Replaced
Overall everyone at goose island was incredibly friendly and wanted to get me my car back as quickly as possible.

Final Update Got my car back drove it around a couple of days. Everything seems to be working fine I do get a couple of random errors here and there like real lights not working but nothing too major.
Thing Fixed:
Wonder box- Replaced
High Voltage Battery- Tuned and Fixed
Rear drive unit- Replaced
TCU- Replaced
Overall everyone at goose island was incredibly friendly and wanted to get me my car back as quickly as possible.
That’s great you got your car back! Did they have an explanation as to why the WunderBox AND drive unit failed? I can see how the WunderBox and battery could fritz together but did some electrical mayhem occur that fried the drive unit? Makes no sense to me that it was that many things that failed.

That’s great you got your car back! Did they have an explanation as to why the WunderBox AND drive unit failed? I can see how the WunderBox and battery could fritz together but did some electrical mayhem occur that fried the drive unit? Makes no sense to me that it was that many things that failed.
Its all in the service report that they had me sign but I couldn't make any sense of it either as long as it doesn't break again it should all be fine

Didn’t think I would use this thread again but here I am my TCU broke again for the second time and not to mention auto park almost hit another car and curbed the hell out of my tires.
that’s terrible.
What is the TCU?

Back