Logistics issues vs. 3 motor model

Joe_in_Balto

Ok...so I'm just a lowly Pure reservation holder. That doesn't make a splash. I get it. But I gotta say, I'm frustrated when I watch an earnings call (I'm also a shareholder -- I've drunk my Lucid Kool-Aid) in which logistics issues are blamed for poor production execution THEN I see the company announce they're putting a 3rd motor into a $250K car. I guess motors is not what Lucid is short on. Kinda wish they'd drop one into my lowly Pure and send it my way.

Ok...so I'm just a lowly Pure reservation holder. That doesn't make a splash. I get it. But I gotta say, I'm frustrated when I watch an earnings call (I'm also a shareholder -- I've drunk my Lucid Kool-Aid) in which logistics issues are blamed for poor production execution THEN I see the company announce they're putting a 3rd motor into a $250K car. I guess motors is not what Lucid is short on. Kinda wish they'd drop one into my lowly Pure and send it my way.
Lucid manufactures their own motors - I am not sure how much third-party parts are required (should be minimal) versus raw materials. They probably can make the motor in quantity versus waiting on third-party suppliers for other items.

You misunderstood what "3rd motor" meant. He didn't mention third party. He's referring to the third motor in the Tri-motor Air.

You misunderstood what "3rd motor" meant. He didn't mention third party. He's referring to the third motor in the Tri-motor Air.
I did not misunderstand his statement. You misunderstood my response. The OP is stating that why would they focus on producing more motors (i.e. 3rd motor for the sapphire) when they can focus on getting parts for the pure. My response is that "parts" for the car usually mean third-party suppliers (i.e. chips, moldings, switches, latches, rims, etc.), which is somewhat out of Lucid's control. However, items such as the body frame, electric motor, battery, they manufacture and they have more control on their supply.

Hope that clarifies the misunderstanding.

they should focus on ironing out their logistics issue rather than convoluting their problem with even more options like a flashy tri-motor sapphire. instead of streamlining materials and parts, they're adding more items that make logistics even worse for themselves.

they should focus on ironing out their logistics issue rather than convoluting their problem with even more options like a flashy tri-motor sapphire. instead of streamlining materials and parts, they're adding more items that make logistics even worse for themselves.
Besides building cars, Lucid has stated multiple times that they want to license out their tech to other people. Producing a tri motor setup is a good display if what's possible. Name another company out there who has developed a dual motor setup with the power to weight ratio Lucid just announced?

Also, they didn’t just start formulating a tri motor concept a few weeks ago. It has been in the works for years and a variant has been tested in public more than two years ago to my knowledge. The idea that they started building Dreams and GTs, announced the Sapphire then just forgot about Touring and Pure to focus on Sapphire doesn’t hold water. It’s been in the pipeline and part of the companies vision for a while. It’s just now coming into focus for the general public.

Even though they introduced a tri-motor variant I am quite sure their primary focus is supply chain issues. Having worked in corporate America for decades, companies are very capable of doing more than one thing at a time.

The engineers who design the motors probably have no control or influence on the supplier management issues.

They have engineers working on the SUV at the same time other departments work with suppliers.

Does the "Delivering in 2023" not itself show Lucid acknowledges they cannot deliver this year due to supply chain issues? They're giving themselves a 4 to 16 month buffer....

Back