RESOLVED Locked OUT of car

Sounds to me like a bunch of people used to lock their keys in the car back in the old, mechanical key/lock days. I'm reminded of the guy who locked his key in the car... but worse, it was a top-down convertible and it started raining...and his whole family was inside!

Yeah I once walked away from the car with my phone inside, and it locked. When I came back I was shocked at how stupid I was (I never leave my phone behind). Pushed FIRMLY on the handle and car unlocked. Whew! Then I realized I was glad Lucid has the auto lock feature, because people who like cars would be looking in and seeing my phone...if the car had the handles out the temptation for the morally weak ... so thank you Lucid for thinking this through.

Now just over 5000 mi on my car I am still learning how it works, and every day appreciate how well-thought-out it is. I've learned how to use Adaptive Cruse and the tyranical Highway Assist (I do not like it Sam I Am). My error was not waiting long enough for the software to respond. You press and count to 20. Not being able to see the place where HA and AC appear is no longer an issue, if you keep your eyes off the road you can see a dim change in the background that alerts you it's time to push the scroll wheel to set speed. I spend a lot of time not looking at the road to operate this car.

Perhaps it's only I who have this problem. All digital buttons do not recognize my finger... at the checkouts I invariably have to use the "pen" to press the buttons. I must have an unusual bio-electrical field about me. I can't use a wrist watch because they stop working...has happened to me several times with several different brands.

How do digital "buttons" sense a press? Am I an idiot for pressing harder and harder and harder for longer, thinking this will get it to "see" me? Wetting my finger does nothing. Wiping my finger on my pants does nothing. I end up pounding on the damn screens in frustration. ATMs ... this is why I don't carry.

I must have an unusual bio-electrical field about me.
Well, that much we know for certain. :)

Pressing harder definitely won't help. The screen is touch sensitive, but not pressure sensitive. But it sure feels like it will. Just like smacking the side of the TV back in the day.

While on a road trip last week to see the superbloom, I stopped at a roadside stand to buy some local honey, leaving both my phone and the key fob in the car. I was out of the car about 20 minutes. Upon returning, the car was locked! I borrowed a phone, called Lucid Customer Assistance, and they were able to unlock the car electronically. There are some interesting implications to this, including that if this happened outside of cell range, there would be no way to get the car unlocked! I'd vote for a setting that would allow the user to toggle when the car will auto lock.
I carry all three. Key fob credit card key and cell phone. Since my wallet is always on me I can unlock the card using the credit card key. I have done what you did several times. That’s why I have my credit card key in my wallet at all time.

While on a road trip last week to see the superbloom, I stopped at a roadside stand to buy some local honey, leaving both my phone and the key fob in the car. I was out of the car about 20 minutes. Upon returning, the car was locked! I borrowed a phone, called Lucid Customer Assistance, and they were able to unlock the car electronically. There are some interesting implications to this, including that if this happened outside of cell range, there would be no way to get the car unlocked! I'd vote for a setting that would allow the user to toggle when the car will auto lock.
I always carry all three keys. Mobile phone key fob and Credit Card Key as Lucid can lock you out of the car. My credit card key is used as a last resort in case I do what you did which I have

Here I’m an interesting read from EDMUND on being locked out of Lucid. https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/lucid-air-left-me-stranded.html

I carry all three. Key fob credit card key and cell phone. Since my wallet is always on me I can unlock the card using the credit card key. I have done what you did several times. That’s why I have my credit card key in my wallet at all time.

I always carry all three keys. Mobile phone key fob and Credit Card Key as Lucid can lock you out of the car. My credit card key is used as a last resort in case I do what you did which I have

Here I’m an interesting read from EDMUND on being locked out of Lucid. https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/lucid-air-left-me-stranded.html
Edmunds did not have mobile key set up. If they had, this issue would not have occurred, as you don’t need internet connectivity to use the mobile key.

The mobile key IS different from the Lucid mobile app. The latter relies on an active cellphone network to communicate with the vehicle and is thus not recommended by Lucid as a reliable means of opening the doors. The mobile key (also referred to as "mobile phone as key"), by contrast, is set up using the lower screen inside the vehicle along with the app. It requires a separate Bluetooth connection than the one used for calls/audio. It also requires additional app permissions, such as the ability to access your location at all times.”

I have not had great success leaving the fob in my pocket. New batter and randomly get message that key not detected.
Sadly battery drains rapidly. I tape a spare battery to back of key and another one under the frunk near windshield wiper. Battery non functional with a 1/2 volt voltage drop

Sadly battery drains rapidly. I tape a spare battery to back of key and another one under the frunk near windshield wiper. Battery non functional with a 1/2 volt voltage drop
Have you thought about using mobile key instead? It doesn’t seem to have that issue.

So weird. I still have the original batteries in both my fobs. Been using for more than six months. Never use any sort of faraday pouch. Both working just fine.

If your batteries are still draining that much, ask service to replace them.

And, to tag on here, if you have your mobile key set up and you leave your phone in the car, a simple press of the door handle will unlock it.
Does that mean that while you are in vehicle with phone, someone can just press the handle from outside to unlock? Or does that only work if car senses no one in the vehicle with phone still in car?

Does that mean that while you are in vehicle with phone, someone can just press the handle from outside to unlock? Or does that only work if car senses no one in the vehicle with phone still in car?
Try it and report back.

I don't think so, at least not from the passenger side.

Yeah, I locked myself out of my car once at a DCFC station. Phone in the car, key in the car (cupholder) and I left the door open as I went to plug in. But I didn't leave the door open _enough_ and the soft close feature took over and finished the job for me.

The "push handle" to unlock would not work.

I borrowed a phone from another EV driver at the stall next to me and called customer support. They unlocked the car for me.

Yeah, I locked myself out of my car once at a DCFC station. Phone in the car, key in the car (cupholder) and I left the door open as I went to plug in. But I didn't leave the door open _enough_ and the soft close feature took over and finished the job for me.

The "push handle" to unlock would not work.

I borrowed a phone from another EV driver at the stall next to me and called customer support. They unlocked the car for me.
Cupholder is a known "dead spot" for the key.

If your batteries are still draining that much, ask service to replace them.
They already have me a third key from a service. Reach independently drains the battery over s period of about 60 days max. Only using an RFID bag slowed it down. What's the sense of having them change a battery that I can change in 30 seconds ...it's going to go dead in 30 days anyway. changing the key fob make no difference.

Have you thought about using mobile key instead? It doesn’t seem to have that issue.
To easy to leave phone in car and car will lock it in automatically

They already have me a third key from a service. Reach independently drains the battery over s period of about 60 days max. Only using an RFID bag slowed it down. What's the sense of having them change a battery that I can change in 30 seconds ...it's going to go dead in 30 days anyway. changing the key fob make no differe
Make sure the battery you have in the fob does NOT have the bitterant coating on the battery.

Thank you. I was not even aware Duracell was applying that for child safety. Will wipe with alcohol in the future and see if that makes any difference

Thank you. I was not even aware Duracell was applying that for child safety. Will wipe with alcohol in the future and see if that makes any difference
Even if your fob battery is dead, you can still use it to get in your car. Hold it below the B pillar camera after holding the door handle firmly in for three seconds and it will unlock. You can then use the PIN to drive. So at least you won’t be stranded.

Even if your fob battery is dead, you can still use it to get in your car. Hold it below the B pillar camera after holding the door handle firmly in for three seconds and it will unlock. You can then use the PIN to drive. So at least you won’t be stranded.
Great to know, difficult to remember if I need it after next week... Too many secret handshakes for things like this and rebooting the car, and valet parking code bypass etc. I need a cheat sheet and with my luck I would no doubt accidentally lock it in the car when needed... But thanks again.. This one I think I will be using more frequently than the others if history repeats

Back