Lock unlock update

Bill55

Verified Owner
Cars
Sapphire - Dream Edition
DE Number
My son got a 22 Honda Civic. It has a nice 5 button fob with proximity lock unlock. You can set it to driver only as well as audio/visual options. Proximity can also be turned off if you prefer for it to wait for you to touch the handle. Every time you approach the car it unlocks when you are just stopping at the door. Every time. Leaving it gives one chirp that all doors/hatch are closed then about 3 feet from the car it locks. Every time. The Lucid system continues to be embarrassingly bad and with no preferences. I am in San Diego with the car in Greenville. I do miss it. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and I look forward to driving it next week. The contrast of the fob and performance of lock/unlock with the Civic system is huge. 30k car. It’s so basic. 🤦‍♂️

Is there a phone-as-mobile-key option on the civic? And a key card as well? To be fair, my personal experience while exclusively using the Lucid fob is that it essentially works 100% of the time.

My son got a 22 Honda Civic. It has a nice 5 button fob with proximity lock unlock. You can set it to driver only as well as audio/visual options. Proximity can also be turned off if you prefer for it to wait for you to touch the handle. Every time you approach the car it unlocks when you are just stopping at the door. Every time. Leaving it gives one chirp that all doors/hatch are closed then about 3 feet from the car it locks. Every time. The Lucid system continues to be embarrassingly bad and with no preferences. I am in San Diego with the car in Greenville. I do miss it. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and I look forward to driving it next week. The contrast of the fob and performance of lock/unlock with the Civic system is huge. 30k car. It’s so basic. 🤦‍♂️

I do agree. I think Lucid got too cute on its fob. But...that is not enough of a reason to make me choose another vehicle.

No option for the phone other than an app that I wouldn’t want to rely on. The fob works perfectly and I bet the battery life is 3-4 years.

I do agree. I think Lucid got too cute on its fob. But...that is not enough of a reason to make me choose another vehicle.
I agree, I didn’t refuse delivery because of the fob and it was much worse in Dec of 21. It’s something that works so well in every other vehicle I interact with, I still find it slightly to highly annoying several times every week.

No option for the phone other than an app that I wouldn’t want to rely on. The fob works perfectly and I bet the battery life is 3-4 years.
I only ask because where I typically run into the occasional problem with lock unlock is when exclusively using the phone as mobile key. So it’s not an apples to apples comparison using dedicated fob on the civic vs phone as mobile key on the lucid, at least in my experience. When I use the fob for the lucid, it works reliably for lock unlock and opening closing. Also, lucid has 3 different ways to lock and unlock the car (fob, phone, and card). I personally enjoy the luxury of not having to carry (and therefore potentially lose or potentially have to find all the time) a set of keys/fob anymore - something that is impossible to do with the 2022 civic. Again, apples to apples. It’s easy to cherry pick one specific feature and say look this 30k car does it great while ignoring or downplaying the totality of an objective comparison.

I agree that the fob design seems flimsy and the tactile feel isn’t very good. I think I’d just prefer dedicated buttons. I mean, it’s already a fob. A sleek fob versus a buttoned fob is kind of immaterial at that point.

The reason I have always used the fobs for my cars/trucks is I have to carry barn and house keys with me anyway. Do I understand correctly that the Air fob cannot have house keys connected to it?

As others have stated, all my lock / unlock issues are related to mobile key only.

We are in the habit of leaving the fobs in our cars when they are parked in our safe (no pun) garage. Is this something you can't do with the Lucid for some reason?

Not a dealbreaker, just curious...

I only ask because where I typically run into the occasional problem with lock unlock is when exclusively using the phone as mobile key. So it’s not an apples to apples comparison using dedicated fob on the civic vs phone as mobile key on the lucid, at least in my experience. When I use the fob for the lucid, it works reliably for lock unlock and opening closing. Also, lucid has 3 different ways to lock and unlock the car (fob, phone, and card). I personally enjoy the luxury of not having to carry (and therefore potentially lose or potentially have to find all the time) a set of keys/fob anymore - something that is impossible to do with the 2022 civic. Again, apples to apples. It’s easy to cherry pick one specific feature and say look this 30k car does it great while ignoring or downplaying the totality of an objective comparison.

I agree that the fob design seems flimsy and the tactile feel isn’t very good. I think I’d just prefer dedicated buttons. I mean, it’s already a fob. A sleek fob versus a buttoned fob is kind of immaterial at that point.
I agree Lucid has three ways. None of them as reliable or as consistent as the Civic. The phone we all know is unreliable. Do you really want to get out the card for daily use? That leaves the fob. That is not 100% reliable for proximity and when used physically is the worst fob I have ever owned or used with any car going back further than I care to admit to.

We are in the habit of leaving the fobs in our cars when they are parked in our safe (no pun) garage. Is this something you can't do with the Lucid for some reason?

Not a dealbreaker, just curious...
You can, but the car will wake periodically. Not an issue if you have it plugged in, but does increase loss rate if you don’t have it plugged in.

As others have stated, all my lock / unlock issues are related to mobile key only.
Problems with proximity unlock have decreased significantly with updates, but I still have proximity based unlock fail about once a week. Unlock with physical press of the fob has been consistent with current software. I have changed the battery many times, so it is not a battery issue. Changing a fob battery more than once in 7 months is a separate issue which contributes to my view of it being worst fob ever.

Problems with proximity unlock have decreased significantly with updates, but I still have proximity based unlock fail about once a week. Unlock with physical press of the fob has been consistent with current software. I have changed the battery many times, so it is not a battery issue. Changing a fob battery more than once in 7 months is a separate issue which contributes to my view of it being worst fob ever.
I agree that the fob and proximity is not reliable. It works like is should maybe 70% to 80% of the time. It seems to be worse when it is hot out.

I do like the fob design and the single button so that I don't have to fool around figuring out which button to press. That part is personal preference and I understand why some people prefer the multi button fob.

Highly variable fob experiences it seems. A 70% success rate with fob proximity sensor means that roughly 1 in 3 times you try to enter your car you can’t - that is a staggeringly high failure rate and would probably drive me nuts too.

I personally do not recall a single time that the fob didn’t work for me but maybe I’ve forgotten since I only use the mobile key now so I’ll say it’s 99% successful for me which granted is less successful than the 100% rate of the civic. But even failure of proximity sensor with the fob just means taking the extra step of pressing the button which for me has worked for 100% of the time without question without fail and no differently then any other car I’ve ever driven. So how much does this problem affect my daily life? Almost zero. How much enjoyment do I derive from the other features of the car that do not exist on a civic or leaf? An enormous amount.

The reason I have always used the fobs for my cars/trucks is I have to carry barn and house keys with me anyway. Do I understand correctly that the Air fob cannot have house keys connected to it?
The fob can attach to a regular key chain.

I absolutely do not want to rely on the key card to enter the vehicle. BUT, having that battery-free, wireless-free, technology-free option that is always sitting in my wallet anyways allows me to confidently operate in a completely keyless fashion knowing that I have that backup option at all times.

Highly variable fob experiences it seems. A 70% success rate with fob proximity sensor means that roughly 1 in 3 times you try to enter your car you can’t - that is a staggeringly high failure rate and would probably drive me nuts too.

I personally do not recall a single time that the fob didn’t work for me but maybe I’ve forgotten since I only use the mobile key now so I’ll say it’s 99% successful for me which granted is less successful than the 100% rate of the civic. But even failure of proximity sensor with the fob just means taking the extra step of pressing the button which for me has worked for 100% of the time without question without fail and no differently then any other car I’ve ever driven. So how much does this problem affect my daily life? Almost zero. How much enjoyment do I derive from the other features of the car that do not exist on a civic or leaf? An enormous amount.
Here is an example. I go out to the car after work, the car has been level 2 charging. Door handles do not present, press either the key fob twice or hard press on the door handle, the car may or may not unlock. Almost always works after a couple of tries. Open rear door and put my computer bag down, close rear door and the car locks with no input from me. Try the fob or hard press again and the car unlocks, remove the charging cable and the doors lock again. Try the key fob or the hard press and the car unlocks. Get in the car and put on seat belt and the car locks with all screens going black. Press the brake pedal and all comes back up. This is definitely not acceptable behavior from the car. This occurs with both key fob and mobile key or if I just have mobile key.

Here is an example. I go out to the car after work, the car has been level 2 charging. Door handles do not present, press either the key fob twice or hard press on the door handle, the car may or may not unlock. Almost always works after a couple of tries. Open rear door and put my computer bag down, close rear door and the car locks with no input from me. Try the fob or hard press again and the car unlocks, remove the charging cable and the doors lock again. Try the key fob or the hard press and the car unlocks. Get in the car and put on seat belt and the car locks with all screens going black. Press the brake pedal and all comes back up. This is definitely not acceptable behavior from the car. This occurs with both key fob and mobile key or if I just have mobile key.
Nightmare! Literally locked out of the vehicle 3 times in a single ‘interaction’ 😱😱

I’ve never encountered such a behavior sequence with my car. It’s like your fob is acting like an anti-proximity device. The closer it is to the car, the more the car wants to lock.

I think you’ve probably tried everything if I recall from previous forum posts, but since the latest OTA have you tried to delete your profile and current fob (and mobile key, might as well), then re-register maybe a different fob?

I keep hearing people saying they’re replacing the key fob batteries pretty often. Has anyone sent feedback to Licid that they should make the fob have a rechargeable battery?

Back