Level 2 Home Charging Test

Communication between the car and the charger is different from communication between the car and the phone app.

We do not have wall chargers for our Teslas but just use the factory-supplied portable cable plugged into a NEMA 14-50 plug. All the charging information is available on the phone app, as the information is communicated from the car through the LTE connection, not through the charger. I expect it will be the same with the Lucid.

Does the phone need to be connected for the schedule to take place?

Currently, scheduling is not available. As far as I can tell when I plug the wall charger in, the car is just prepping to charge because something is physically plugged in. The message only appears when something is plugged into the port not when the door is open.

Does the phone need to be connected for the schedule to take place?

Not sure what you mean. We can get information about the car on our cell phone apps at any time and place. For instance, when the Tesla spent 5 days in the shop at a nearby town having the radar/laser detector installed, we checked our phone apps daily to see where the car was, whether any mileage had accumulated on the odometer, and what it's state of charge was. We could also tell when the installer had the doors, hood, or truck opened. On the third day we saw the charge had dropped to 20%, so we dropped off our 110-volt charging cable at the shop so they could trickle charge the car to be sure we had enough juice to get it home.

Not sure what you mean. We can get information about the car on our cell phone apps at any time and place. For instance, when the Tesla spent 5 days in the shop at a nearby town having the radar/laser detector installed, we checked our phone apps daily to see where the car was, whether any mileage had accumulated on the odometer, and what it's state of charge was. We could also tell when the installer had the doors, hood, or truck opened. On the third day we saw the charge had dropped to 20%, so we dropped off our 110-volt charging cable at the shop so they could trickle charge the car to be sure we had enough juice to get it home.

This is what I thought, the "software" is within the car and the app only serves to communicate with it. So the app tells the on-board software when to run the charging program. Can you set the charging schedule from within the car or only on the app in the Tesla?

Hmm. Not sure if that's completely true. When I open the charge door, if I don't plug in after about 5 minutes, it closes the door. It will not stay open indefinitely.
The reference is to having the door open with the charger plugged in. You are correct, motorized doors like those that exist in the Tesla, e-Tron, Lucid and others, will automatically close if the owner fails to plug the charger in within a short period of time.

Truth be told, there’s really no reason for a motorized charging door to begin with. Sure it looks slick, but it’s just another unnecessary point of failure.

This is what I thought, the "software" is within the car and the app only serves to communicate with it. So the app tells the on-board software when to run the charging program. Can you set the charging schedule from within the car or only on the app in the Tesla?
You can also purchase a smart WiFi charger like the ChargePoint Home Flex. I use that and totally bypass the car’s onboard charger program, using the software of the Home Flex for scheduling. Part of the rationale for this is that my utility offers TOD discounts and a WiFi charger is required for that. It didn’t hurt that my utility offered $500 toward the purchase of the charger.

Right now, scheduling isn't available in the Lucid, but it is coming in an OTA software update "soon"

Last edited:
You can also purchase a smart WiFi charger like the ChargePoint Home Flex. I use that and totally bypass the car’s onboard charger program, using the software of the Home Flex for scheduling. Part of the rationale for this is that my utility offers TOD discounts and a WiFi charger is required for that. It didn’t hurt that my utility offered $500 toward the purchase of the charger.
Yea except for the whole battery drain problem haha

Right now, scheduling isn't available in the Lucid, but it is coming in an OTA software update "soon"
Hopefully, “coming soon”, means in the next few weeks when I get my Lucid. I’m on time of use at home (and solar) and would want to schedule accordingly And leave car plugged in all the time.

Hopefully, “coming soon”, means in the next few weeks when I get my Lucid.

Alex, could you tell us when you reserved, when you confirmed your configuration, and which edition/options you chose?

Hopefully, “coming soon”, means in the next few weeks when I get my Lucid. I’m on time of use at home (and solar) and would want to schedule accordingly And leave car plugged in all the time.

I have no "inside knowledge" but I can only imagine that scheduled charging will be one of the first updates; it's sort of "table stakes"

Alex, could you tell us when you reserved, when you confirmed your configuration, and which edition/options you chose?

Reserved: 13-Feb-2020 (Lucid Air), 9-20-2020 (Lucid Air Dream upgrade)
Confirmed: 20-Sep-2021
VIN Assignment: 24-Nov-2021

Configuration: Dream R, Eurika Gold, 19" Wheels

VIN Assignment: 24-Nov-2021

Have you heard anything about delivery?

A friend got his VIN on a Thursday and his car was available for delivery in Orlando, FL on Saturday of the next week -- nine days later. I got my VIN on 19 November and have heard nothing since.

I see you are in Tucson, so transport time should be next to nothing for you, right?

Have you heard anything about delivery?

A friend got his VIN on a Thursday and his car was available for delivery in Orlando, FL on Saturday of the next week -- nine days later. I got my VIN on 19 November and have heard nothing since.

I see you are in Tucson, so transport time should be next to nothing for you, right?
I got my VIN assignment the day before Thanksgiving, so I’m not expecting to hear from them for at least another week after that. But I’ve been in constant communication with the sales person to complain about the lack of complete software and features. We also discussed delivery. The delivery center, I guess, is in Scottsdale. And, he said that they could also do a home delivery. I would think they would have to prep the car in Scottsdale and then drive it down to Tucson. So I would think it would be an extra day.

I was expecting a Scottsdale delivery, because it would be convenient to drive the car to Cactus Window Tint for PPF clear wrap. This would prevent me from having to drive the car on I10 and get rock chips. If I get it delivered to Tucson, it will have to drive it up to Scottsdale to get PPF. I’m also planning to get the photo sync window tinting, for at least the front side windows. Usually, the rear windows are dark enough and tinted enough.

The rear windows have no tint

It's not visibly tinted. As for ir or uv..anyone's guess

It's not visibly tinted. As for ir or uv..anyone's guess

I'll do some digging. I think I read somewhere that Lucid uses dual pane side glass with an embedded film, but I don't remember where. Of course, unless Lucid is the direct source of that information, it could still be wrong. "Motor Trend" and "Car & Driver" still occasionally slip references to the Lucid's (non-existent) air suspension into their articles.

Can't find anything on point on the internet, so I sent an email to my sales rep and delivery advisor. If past is prologue, I don't expect a quick answer.

However, the fact that the rear side windows aren't tinted leads me to believe that Lucid has some form of UV/IR protection either in or on the glass.

I used 3M's top-rated ceramic film on the windows of my first Tesla, installed by one of the most reputable local shops that also does the local law enforcement vehicles. Even so, a couple of small bubbles eventually developed. They were small enough that I didn't bother having them corrected, but it left me less than impressed with window film. I'd like to find a reason to avoid going down that path.

Back