Level 2 Home Charging Test

Can't schedule charging right now. My home flex tripped the breaker so I suspect there might be an issue with the unit or my breaker is failing. Currently testing with lucid supplied wall charger.
In Socal everyone with Edison is being swapped to a Time Of Use plan, where 4-9 is considered peak hours and your are charged at a rate of $0.45 / kwh. Super off peak is I think from 10-8 and is only $0.14/kwh, then 8-4 is peak and something like 0.27/kwh. Something like that.

Our rates are quite low I guess at $0.112 but we are in a co-op $35 minimum even if you use zero power.

My wife in her condo before we were married had half of a 240 breaker go out but dryer still ran, just poorly. I replaced it for her and dryer ran like new.

Do you have a home standby generator currently? Have you had any outages?

EVERYONE that doesn't have an automatic standby generator should have this. Freeze a cup of water in a flexible plastic cup. Once frozen place a quarter on top of the ice and keep in freezer. When you return and the power has been off, where the quarter is within the ice when refrozen tells you if any of your food is still good. If quarter is frozen at the bottom you just have frozen spoiled food.
I don’t have an automatic standby generator, but I did install a transfer switch to my electrical panel that allows me to attach my gas powered generator to my house and will allow me to power and run all the important stuff in my house. I live in Socal and we do not get many power outages and if we do it only last a few hours.

In Socal everyone with Edison is being swapped to a Time Of Use plan, where 4-9 is considered peak hours and your are charged at a rate of $0.45 / kwh. Super off peak is I think from 10-8 and is only $0.14/kwh, then 8-4 is peak and something like 0.27/kwh. Something like that.

Good grief. I am on an electrical co-op in Florida that has no peak rate structure. Here's our 2022 monthly rate schedule for residential service:

$15.00 flat charge for single-phase service or $18.00 flat charge for three-phase service, plus usage charges as follow:

First 500 kWh $0.0760
Next 500 kWh $0.0864
Over 1,000 kWh $0.0971

Our power company took its last coal-fired plant off line two years ago. All power is now generated by nuclear, natural gas, and solar, with solar being the fastest-growing component (second highest solar growth rate in the country).

hmp10, can I run an extension cord from NY to Florida and pay my share of your electric bill to you each month? ;)

I guess this is one of the reasons my friends who have moved to Florida say I'm crazy for staying in NY.

hmp10, can I run an extension cord from NY to Florida and pay my share of your electric bill to you each month? ;)

I guess this is one of the reasons my friends who have moved to Florida say I'm crazy for staying in NY.

Retiring on Lake Dora is sounding better and better.

Everyone be ready for 2025. My only concern about owning an EV.

In Socal everyone with Edison is being swapped to a Time Of Use plan, where 4-9 is considered peak hours and your are charged at a rate of $0.45 / kwh. Super off peak is I think from 10-8 and is only $0.14/kwh, then 8-4 is peak and something like 0.27/kwh
In San Diego, for "regular" service, $0.32 is the lowest off peak rate and 0.47 during peak. SDGE offers 2 EV plans, both split rates into summer and winter.
Plan1, $16 service fee with 0.08 off peak (midnight to 6 am) and 0.36 peak during winter. Summer it's 0.09 and 0.56.
Plan 2, no service fee but 0.21 off peak and 0.39 peak. Summer, it's 0.22 and 0.62

This is why SD has one of the highest rooftop solar adoption rates in the country.

And no state income tax, either. However, there are the hurricanes, the humidity, and some of the most freakish crimes and news stories in the country.

Yea, we just installed solar onto our roof to offset the cost. Last month of the summer our bill was $750...
Put in a 17kw system, 45 panels!

Yeah, we installed a 22kW system (55panels) with 4 Powerwalls. House uses too damn much. Haha.

Still trying to figure out whether to do EV-2A or TOU-C or TOU-D.

I plugged the car in at 3pm and it was at 20%. I just checked via the app and the car is now at 17% SOC. It has used up 3% SOC while sitting there and having the charge cable plugged in but not feeding it any juice.
I found this comment in the Lucid EPA filing.
"Anytime the charge port door is opened, the vehicle will prepare to enter the CHARGE state."

This could explain the phantom drain with the cable plugged in.

Ahh okay guess it's not really phantom drain if they say it will happen hah.

I left the charge door open on my Jaguar I-Pace with the charger plugged in as well as my e-Tron and did not experience that kind of phantom drain. The Lucid is behaving exactly as did my Tesla MS. Of course the MS experienced phantom drain with or without the charge door being opened. You wonder, with Rawlinson’s Tesla heritage, if certain shared traits are to be expected…which is not always a good thing.

Last edited:
Hmm. Not sure if that's completely true. When I open the charge door, if I don't plug in after about 5 minutes, it closes the door. It will not stay open indefinitely.

One of the conveniences of at-home charging should be that you can plug in anytime you get home and leave the cable plugged in until the next time you need the car. We did that with both our Teslas, and the cars were/are always at 80% (where we had the charge limit set) when we got back in them. I hope the Lucid does not require you to remove the cable after charging is complete, as that would eradicate the plug-and-forget convenience of home charging.

I am beginning to get the impression that EV are being built around parameters that the consumer really doesn't find useful. Consumer goods in general as well. I used to get a notification warning from my phone to unplug once it was charged to 100%, no never mind this happened at about 1am. Lucid Air seems to be programmed to work similarly, if you don't plan on charging it don't plug it in. Not considering that some users want to take advantage of lower rates off peak.

One of the conveniences of at-home charging should be that you can plug in anytime you get home and leave the cable plugged in until the next time you need the car. We did that with both our Teslas, and the cars were/are always at 80% (where we had the charge limit set) when we got back in them. I hope the Lucid does not require you to remove the cable after charging is complete, as that would eradicate the plug-and-forget convenience of home charging.

This will be my first EV so you all have to help. Is there any communication going on in a standard home charger? If its plugged into a 14-50, definitely not, but if you get a hardwired unit does this change? Maybe the Lucid charger has some communication built in? You would think is has to to serve as a 19.2kW generator? What are control pilot and proximity detection?

1638280342086.png

Last edited:
We shall see, this is probably a very easy software fix, but if you can schedule charging it would make sense not to start any prep until near that time.

Is there any communication going on in a standard home charger? If its plugged into a 14-50, definitely not, but if you get a hardwired unit does this change?

Communication between the car and the charger is different from communication between the car and the phone app.

We do not have wall chargers for our Teslas but just use the factory-supplied portable cable plugged into a NEMA 14-50 plug. All the charging information is available on the phone app, as the information is communicated from the car through the LTE connection, not through the charger. I expect it will be the same with the Lucid.

Back