Let's talk about the "clunk" in the room.

MoniputerLM

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Dream Edition Performance
DE Number
Why does my car make a "clunk" sound when starting? Yes, it has gotten a bit softer through software updates but it's still there. I really noticed it after driving my wife's EQS, which does not make any sounds starting off. Lucid told me a long time ago that it was part of a safety feature, but they seem to be the only manufacture with a "clunk"?

Just asking.

Mine does not...especially not after the update that got rid of it. The only thing I can hear starting from a stop is the motor whine.

I hear a very soft clunk as the brake comes off of hold when starting out. It seems more noticeable in Swift mode than in Smooth mode. It could be that the brake releases faster when in Swift making it slightly louder. The clunk is much quieter now than it was prior to the software update that addressed this issue.

My clunk had totally disappeared but I do feel like I started hearing a very faint clunk a few updates ago. Not enough to notice all the time like the old clunk. I had wondered if they tweaked something when they adjusted the hold ability of the car.

My clunk had totally disappeared but I do feel like I started hearing a very faint clunk a few updates ago. Not enough to notice all the time like the old clunk. I had wondered if they tweaked something when they adjusted the hold ability of the car.
Interesting. Could this be the result of whatever they did to fix the occasional reversing while on an incline? If so, I’ll take that tradeoff.

Right, the more aggressive hold, nownim going to listen for it...thanks a lot @MoniputerLM

Okay tested it out with no sound. Sounds more like a air piston being released rather than a clunk. There is a noise there.

I have noticed a sound when i first take it out of my garage. It happens in the parking lot too when it is parked for a while. Nothing during signal stops or traffic stops. I thought it was to indicate the vehicle is starting.

Interesting. Could this be the result of whatever they did to fix the occasional reversing while on an incline? If so, I’ll take that tradeoff.
I am on 2.0.47 update. Interestingly enough i have to go to SFO airport parking this Tuesday and the car moved forward when i was trying to reverse park at a parking spot. This is the first time it happened for me.

I am going to listen for that “clunk”. I have not noticed it.

for me it's the sound a parking brake makes when it sticks to the inside of the rear rotor drum for a moment when first moving, or when the car applies the electronic parking brake and it catches. I don't like parking brakes at all... give me wheel chocks on a string.

I don't think that it's related. The clunk has been there since I got the car and got a little quieter but that was months ago.

Whatever it is, I guess it’s not a problem.

I think I hear that every now and little. It comes and goes, I was assuming some kind of moderation to physical mechanical parts by the software.

Got my Touring yesterday and there is a small but noticeable "clunk" sometimes when accelerating from a stop. I assume this is the e-brake disengaging before the vehicle starts moving again because it aligns with a slight feeling on the pedal as well that the car is being held back by something for a fraction of a second. I only drove in Smooth and had "Hold" enabled.

Back