iPhone MagSafe mount to replace OEM charging pad.

I have gone through several iterations of improving the useless wireless charging pad for my iPhone 12 ProMax in my GT. With the OEM charging solution, it is difficult to find the exact right spot for the phone, and even when I do so, it charges at only 5W. My previous solutions were working fine, but not as well integrated as I would've liked. Here are my requirements:
1. It is very easy and quick to position the phone.
2. The phone charges at the maximum possible rate without wires (15W).
3. The console cover can close while the phone is in place and charging.
4. It kind of looks like it was supposed to be there (i.e. no big suction or cupholder mounts sticking out).

My solution was to make a wedge shaped piece of 3-D plastic and mount a black iPhone Mag Safe charger (https://a.co/d/2JS2fJw) to it. Everything is put together with double-sided 3M tape and thus reversible. The phone holds on magnetically and road vibrations do not dislodge it.. This design satisfies all of the criteria!

Here's a picture of it for those interested. If anyone wants the G-code to print the little wedge or would like me to print one for them, please let me know. This will work for any iPhone 12 or higher.

View attachment 6456
Do you have an STL file you could post to 3D print one?

Could you DM me the STL as well? Or maybe post it to something like printables.com and share the link?

I would take the file too! What an amazing idea. You should really start taking donations.

Has anyone tried to disassemble the center console to access the charging pad behind the panel? Maybe we could just mount that charger behind the original surface?

Has anyone tried to disassemble the center console to access the charging pad behind the panel? Maybe we could just mount that charger behind the original surface?
At one point in my conversations with CS they mentioned that the team was looking into other options and whether it could be retrofit into existing vehicles so presumably it can be.

I have gone through several iterations of improving the useless wireless charging pad for my iPhone 12 ProMax in my GT. With the OEM charging solution, it is difficult to find the exact right spot for the phone, and even when I do so, it charges at only 5W. My previous solutions were working fine, but not as well integrated as I would've liked. Here are my requirements:
4. It kind of looks like it was supposed to be there (i.e. no big suction or cupholder mounts sticking out).

My solution was to make a wedge shaped piece of 3-D plastic and mount a black iPhone Mag Safe charger (https://a.co/d/2JS2fJw) to it. Everything is put together with double-sided 3M tape and thus reversible. The phone holds on magnetically and road vibrations do not dislodge it.. This design satisfies all of the criteria!

Here's a picture of it for those interested. If anyone wants the G-code to print the little wedge or would like me to print one for them, please let me know. This will work for any iPhone 12 or higher.

View attachment 6456
This is great! Put me down for one as well. Let me know what you need.
Thanks

@Drendino @Mouthpiece @Fischman @thecodingart @Keithmaj @bhramabull @borski @nasilemak
Big iPhone mount shipment today! I hope you enjoy them! Keep an eye out for a green package.
Reminder of the Amazon link for the magnetic mounts: https://a.co/d/2JS2fJw
IMG_2765 2.JPG

View attachment 6456

I would love to get the code. Have printer.

What 3M tape did you use? Is there anything to it other than inserting the wedge?

What 3M tape did you use? Is there anything to it other than inserting the wedge?
I used this stuff: 3M Tape
I cleaned all surfaces with alcohol, then seated the wedge down so it rests on the existing (useless) phone holder.
With the MagSafe on the phone, I figured where to tape it to the wedge and did so. Ran the wires down the bottom edge and wound the excess around the handy little cleats Lucid gave us.

View attachment 6456
That looks great! However there is an alternative solution. If you lift the bottom pad you will see four screws that hold the support bracket. Your the remove the 4 (7 mm Hexhead screws) and remove the bracket. I put the screws back for safe keeping and then replaced the pad. Now you can you can mount your iPhone Mag Safe charger directly. I am waiting for my iPhone Mag Safe charger and plan to use Alien Tape to secure it. The advantage that @Bobby solution using a wedge is that it puts the phone a more of an angle to make the screen a little more visible.

With the bracket removed I found that I lay your phone in place and it will charge, however that is fine when the car is stationary, but probable not when the car is moving.

Attachments

• IMG_2624.jpg
    IMG_2624.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 193
  • IMG_2625.jpg
    IMG_2625.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 185
  • IMG_2626.jpg
    IMG_2626.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_2628.jpg
    IMG_2628.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 202
That looks great! However there is an alternative solution. If you lift the bottom pad you will see four screws that hold the support bracket. Your the remove the 4 (7 mm Hexhead screws) and remove the bracket. I put the screws back for safe keeping and then replaced the pad. Now you can you can mount your iPhone Mag Safe charger directly. I am waiting for my iPhone Mag Safe charger and plan to use Alien Tape to secure it. The advantage that @Bobby solution using a wedge is that it puts the phone a more of an angle to make the screen a little more visible.

With the bracket removed I found that I lay your phone in place and it will charge, however that is fine when the car is stationary, but probable not when the car is moving.

Whoa! That is interesting. I bought a 3rd party black MagSafe charger and mounting it on the right side just may work! Now I just need the vehicle to test out!

I must ask, what is the issue with the charging pad that came with the car? I ask because I'm not having an issue with mine.

I must ask, what is the issue with the charging pad that came with the car? I ask because I'm not having an issue with mine.
The bigger phones will not fit and those that will work find the fit very tight making it difficult to get the phone inserted far enought to charge.

Back