I'm trying to calculate the cost of a charge

Thinjake

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT, Genesis GV80
I am sure the info is on here somewhere, but I cannot find it. If my battery was completely empty and I charged it to 100% capacity, what is the amount of energy transferred? And what is the correct name fore that energy transferred.....kW? kW/hr? kWH?

I am trying to see what it costs me to charge at home. On my most recent energy bill, between DELIVERY SERVICES and SUPPLY SERVICES< I spent $280.78 for electric. I used 1381 kWH. Simple math tells me I am paying 20 cents per kWH.

Your AGT's battery can hold about 112 kWh of energy. at 20 cents per kWh, that's $22.40.
Have a look at your electricity bill to see the cost of an incremental kWh or electricity - how much you paid for the last kWh if different from the first. Some energy providers have tiers with different prices. Others charge varying amounts based on time of day.

kW are the instantaneous power delivered from the charger your car. kWh are the sum of that power over time, which is energy, which is what you get billed for.
There's no such thing as kW/hr.

A static electricity spark may easily have an instantaneous power of a kW, being a little lightning bolt, but the total energy delivered (kWh) is extremely low as it only lasts a few millionths of a second, so it doesn't damage macroscopic things like us.

Your AGT's battery can hold about 112 kWh of energy. at 20 cents per kWh, that's $22.40.
Have a look at your electricity bill to see the cost of an incremental kWh or electricity - how much you paid for the last kWh if different from the first. Some energy providers have tiers with different prices. Others charge varying amounts based on time of day.
It would be a little more than 112 kWh though. Some is lost in transfer and heat. There are those on here much more educated in that, though. Probably increase by some percentage. Small amount when converted to $$$ but still relevant.

It would be a little more than 112 kWh though. Some is lost in transfer and heat. There are those on here much more educated in that, though. Probably increase by some percentage. Small amount when converted to $$$ but still relevant.
Right, in the 5% range I think for L2 charging.

A key factor is where you live and the pricing structure for electricity. In California for example, they have a differential pricing structure based on the time of day. You need to be aware of this to make sure you only charge during the cheapest off peak times.

As I am waiting for my delivery, and being in the energy business, I am wondering if there is an opportunity to use the car as an energy storage business. If there is a differential pricing structure, and since Lucid has a bidirectional charging system, then you could make a little money by charging off peak and then discharging it to feed your house needs during peak time, or sell it back to the grid and the highest price. There are also tax credits available for energy storage systems.

Wow. I would've expected that much loss for DC fast charging.
Still so much more efficient than fossil fuels around 40%

If you are not on a TOU system, you can look at the average cost per kWh to calculate your cost. If you are on TOU like I am and charge during the super-off peak, you can use the rate at that time period to calculate your cost. It is useful to look at other rate plans. Many utilities have special rates for EV owners that will significantly reduce your electric costs. You can also calculate your cost per mile by taking the price per kWh and dividing it by how many miles you average per kWh from the car computer. An yes, there is up to about a 10% loss when adding power to the car. So take the 112 kWh (for a GT) and multiply it by 1.1 to get the total number of kWh to actually fill the battery.

That said, it is definitely cheaper to charge at home. Our cheap power at night is about 11 cents per kWh vs 30-50 cents on one of the DCFC stations.

A key factor is where you live and the pricing structure for electricity. In California for example, they have a differential pricing structure based on the time of day. You need to be aware of this to make sure you only charge during the cheapest off peak times.

As I am waiting for my delivery, and being in the energy business, I am wondering if there is an opportunity to use the car as an energy storage business. If there is a differential pricing structure, and since Lucid has a bidirectional charging system, then you could make a little money by charging off peak and then discharging it to feed your house needs during peak time, or sell it back to the grid and the highest price. There are also tax credits available for energy storage systems.
Vehicle to grid bi directional charging is not available yet. I have the Lucid home charger and it’s not something that is supported at this time.

Back