I Thought This Is A Lucid "Owners" Forum??

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OP specifically was calling out folks who don't own, don't have an order, and aren't in need information to help make a purchase decision.

I don't believe anyone is seriously considering "kicking out" anyone, even if you don't fall into those categories. As the mods like to say, we have yet to ban anyone on these forums. And when we do moderate content, it is quite rare.

We may make it easier for folks to have more control over the content they can easily ignore. But outright gatekeeping is not something we seriously entertain.

The legitimate question this whole thread brings up in my mind is "What are people's intentions? Do they want to be an asset to the community, or someone who makes people want to leave the room?" I do think that's a valid concern worthy of discussion.

If one's intentions are to be helpful and provide information and perspective, great. Everyone in that category is welcome.

If one's intentions are to constantly stoke negativity or provoke individuals for sport, then the mods deal with that person accordingly. I don't think anyone has an issue with moderating obvious trolls.

But then there's an in-between category. Folks who seem to spend the majority of their time on the forum singing the praises of other cars, complaining about things they don't have any personal experience with, mansplaining various technical aspects to prove their own superiority, being generally disagreeable with no clear intention to actually persuade, or generally making all their posts about themselves instead of helping others.

Again, no one is saying "Let's get rid of those people." It's just a simple and reasonable question: Why be here? Is it about us, or is it about you?

Being part of a community is a responsibility. I know not every post of mine has been a winner, but I try to come here every day with the intent of helping others and sharing information that is of genuine interest to the group. I've made online "friends" here that I hope to keep for a long time. Though I often disagree with people, I like to think we come together around a common interest (Lucid), and thus we share at least some common ground.

In order to remain a positive influence on the community, though, I have to pay attention to the general mood of the other members and back off when I sense I'm moving too far in the wrong direction. I need to listen, in other words. Even to those who don't post often but are raising valid concerns. Especially to those who don't post often but raise valid concerns. This is just common sense, if you wish everyone to feel welcome in any group of people.

In other words, whenever I feel uncomfortable here, I at least take a moment to ask "Am I the asshole?" It's not always going to be me, but there have been times…

While I don't personally agree with the sentiment that only owners, reservation holders, etc. should be "allowed" here, I do sometimes (and yes it's rarer than it feels) have interactions with folks where I can't help but question whether the intention of bettering the community is actually shared between us. And yes, that makes me wonder why that person wants to spend time here.

I strongly encourage everyone every now and then to question what your intentions are. And be honest with yourself. Are you looking out for the community, or are you here for your own selfish reasons? Do you post here just to vent your own garbage into the atmosphere, or do you genuinely care what the people on the receiving end of that dump are smelling? It's not hard to know where you stand with the community at large, if you pay attention.

(TLDR: Read the room. And the guidelines. And if you feel the room or the guidelines are pointing fingers at you, well, that's a sign, isn't it?)

Ok this has gone far beyond what I intended in my original post. I recognize we can't really keep the "trolls" off the site. What I was asking was that the constructive members of this Forum not engage in long winded arguments with people posting here who obviously have an anti-Lucid mission. Why do some of us feel the need to respond to these posts? All it does is keep moving their nonsense back up to the top of the "What's new" banner. I understand somebody might have had a problem getting into or out of the car due to physical constraints. So you posted your decision to choose another EV which you find a better "fit" (pun intended) for you. So we got the message. But why does that person feel the need to keep commenting on other relevant posts and reminding us how good his decision was? All I'm saying is we got your message, now why don't you just move on? I totally agree I have the option to just ignore the extended arguments about the bass sound vs a Tesla and I know that it is my problem if I choose to read them.

Ok this has gone far beyond what I intended in my original post. I recognize we can't really keep the "trolls" off the site. What I was asking was that the constructive members of this Forum not engage in long winded arguments with people posting here who obviously have an anti-Lucid mission. Why do some of us feel the need to respond to these posts? All it does is keep moving their nonsense back up to the top of the "What's new" banner. I understand somebody might have had a problem getting into or out of the car due to physical constraints. So you posted your decision to choose another EV which you find a better "fit" (pun intended) for you. So we got the message. But why does that person feel the need to keep commenting on other relevant posts and reminding us how good his decision was? All I'm saying is we got your message, now why don't you just move on? I totally agree I have the option to just ignore the extended arguments about the bass sound vs a Tesla and I know that it is my problem if I choose to read them.
Also a lot of information here spreads like wildfire when news agencies pick it up and roll with it as "fact" or "problems" when it's obviously just opinions or even unknown or unverified information. Pretty dangerous

Now he will wonder why no one is responding to his posts when everyone tested the "ignore" feature on his profile 😂
I deserved that! Many of my posts are just poor attempts at humor anyway, low value contribution!

I deserved that! Many of my posts are just poor attempts at humor anyway, low value contribution!
Just the opposite, I used you as an example since I was sure that nobody would ignore you. Besides, you cannot ignore moderators so I could not use myself.

Just the opposite, I used you as an example since I was sure that nobody would ignore you. Besides, you cannot ignore moderators so I could not use myself.
Oh, I got that, or else I would have said "if anyone sees this message please PM me as I think those mean moderators have blocked me!"
TIL you can ignore (most) people, so useful information. Although I must admit that there are people who I may initially felt like blocking, only to find later that they were just having a bad day/week. And others I initially thought were reasonable, only to find later ...
@SaratogaLefty I totally agree that for some of those posts that are just too far out there and just baiting us, best to just walk away. Thanks

Looks like the Verified owner is now appearing. How does one become verified?

We are working on that, right now you have to know a moderator.
I bet you also have to be a moderator to get the Verified Good Looking and Rich badge. Haven't seen one yet, though ;)

I’m not even sure what a ‘verified owner’s badge’ would accomplish, unless there was a significant issue with posters posing as owners who weren’t. I don’t think that’s the issue in this forum.

What Saratoga really wants is something I can’t recall ever seeing on a forum, you’re an owner you can stay, you’re not you’re gone. I certainly hope that’s not the common thinking here and I doubt it is. That’s not the direction a friendly & helpful forum, which this one largely is, goes.

Dealing with those that have obviously no interest in the Lucid is the concern. I might remind Lefty that I’ve been on this forum nearly a year longer than he has and I’ve had a reservation for 2 years now. I was the first here to provide pictures of a silver DE shortly after I joined and visited the meatpacking Studio. My interest is genuine, I’m too old to play games.

Sorry if I sound a bit pissed, but after reading the OP’s post, I am.
That isn't what he is saying at all. He basically is imploring owners and future/potential owners to stop feeding and/or falling victim to the trolls who are obviously only here to make ridiculous claims against a car they have most likely never seen.

I think he is also asking those who have decided against Lucid why they are still here.

For me, I wish these posts would at least remain where they belong - in the non-Lucid section of the forum. I do silently scream every time i see a new Tesla post under the Lucid general section. Perhaps the mods could move such posts? 😁

I bet you also have to be a moderator to get the Verified Good Looking and Rich badge. Haven't seen one yet, though ;)
The good looking factor automatically increases when your order goes from "pending" to "delivered".....so I've heard ;)

What I was asking was that the constructive members of this Forum not engage in long winded arguments with people posting here who obviously have an anti-Lucid mission.

PLEASE

it is not about feeding the trolls - it brings the lizard out in everybody. I have seen more "I dont bother with the forums anymore" (heck I am one of them) - and that decreases the value to all.
when I do post something it is because I am trying to be net-positive in sentiment, even when my tyre blew and the day ruined.

That isn't what he is saying at all. He basically is imploring owners and future/potential owners to stop feeding and/or falling victim to the trolls who are obviously only here to make ridiculous claims against a car they have most likely never seen.

I think he is also asking those who have decided against Lucid why they are still here.

For me, I wish these posts would at least remain where they belong - in the non-Lucid section of the forum. I do silently scream every time i see a new Tesla post under the Lucid general section. Perhaps the mods could move such posts? 😁
You are correct, I partially misconstrued part of his meaning and for that I apologize. However, in all fairness, he did say, “That said, I am curious why we have to give attention to posters who keep justifying their choice of cars (Tesla, Genesis GV60, BMW i4, etc.”

To the best of my knowledge there are only 2 members here who own an i4, myself and a Lucid owner. So it’s obvious this was at least partially directed at me and hence my reaction. I have no need to ‘justify’ my choice of the i4, I reserved a Lucid 2 years ago, a full 1 1/2 years before I bought the i4. My logic with the i4 was that this would be a great placeholder car while waiting for the Lucid and I wasn’t in love with my e-Tron at the time. My comments regarding the i4 on this forum were generally only made when efficiency/range discussions were being made.

Again, for partially misconstruing Saratoga’s meaning, I apologize, but I’m giving additional information as to why that may have occurred.

You are correct, I partially misconstrued part of his meaning and for that I apologize. However, in all fairness, he did say, “That said, I am curious why we have to give attention to posters who keep justifying their choice of cars (Tesla, Genesis GV60, BMW i4, etc.”

To the best of my knowledge there are only 2 members here who own an i4, myself and a Lucid owner. So it’s obvious this was at least partially directed at me and hence my reaction. I have no need to ‘justify’ my choice of the i4, I reserved a Lucid 2 years ago, a full 1 1/2 years before I bought the i4. My logic with the i4 was that this would be a great placeholder car while waiting for the Lucid and I wasn’t in love with my e-Tron at the time. My comments regarding the i4 on this forum were generally only made when efficiency/range discussions were being made.

Again, for partially misconstruing Saratoga’s meaning, I apologize, but I’m giving additional information as to why that may have occurred.
Thanks for the clarification. I don’t think it was intended as a direct attack on you, but a more general question.

Honestly, if it just made everyone here think for a few seconds more when they post about “am I being an asshole?” or “can I phrase this less aggressively?” that would be a very good thing. And that goes for everyone.

Lucken, I am sorry if when I asked if you had a reservation that "pissed" you off. I was just trying to establish where you were coming from with your comments. Regarding the BMW i4, I have a close friend who also purchased an i4 as a "placeholder" and he has a reservation for the Pure. He has become somewhat enamored with the smaller size of the i4. He was one of the original Model S owners and the last couple of years he was banging it up when parking it and thus likes the smaller size of the i4. I have tried to show him why he should consider paying extra to get the "bird's eye" view option which greatly facilitates parking the Lucid in tight spaces. All of that said, my intent was never to eliminate non owners from the forum, but rather to encourage forum participants not to engage with the trolls thus giving them the attention they obviously crave. GEWC above summarized my intent accurately.

Lucken, I am sorry if when I asked if you had a reservation that "pissed" you off. I was just trying to establish where you were coming from with your comments. Regarding the BMW i4, I have a close friend who also purchased an i4 as a "placeholder" and he has a reservation for the Pure. He has become somewhat enamored with the smaller size of the i4. He was one of the original Model S owners and the last couple of years he was banging it up when parking it and thus likes the smaller size of the i4. I have tried to show him why he should consider paying extra to get the "bird's eye" view option which greatly facilitates parking the Lucid in tight spaces. All of that said, my intent was never to eliminate non owners from the forum, but rather to encourage forum participants not to engage with the trolls thus giving them the attention they obviously crave. GEWC above summarized my intent accurately.
Understood, Saratoga, we’re good. I think we better understand each other and that’s a good thing. :)

Regarding your friend’s MS, the funny thing is the Lucid’s exterior dimensions are almost identical to that of the MS. I believe the length is identical. I was initially concerned about how the Lucid would fit in my 2 car garage. Since I too owned a MS, and that fit in my garage (although obviously tighter than the smaller i4) my concern was mitigated.

Your moderator group is very aware of this issue. There is no easy solution. We considered adding “verified owner” badges but that is hard to control and easy to manipulate. We are open to ideas.
Wait, I missed the memo on this feature. How do I get said badge?

I fully agree with SaratogaLefty and GEWC.
"Stop feeding and/or falling victim to the trolls who are obviously only here to make ridiculous claims against a car they have most likely never seen."
"Do not engage in long winded arguments with people posting here who obviously have an anti-Lucid mission."
Well said guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back