• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Admittedly, I had the primary and secondary controller fuse blow on my Volvo T8. Vehicle would not charge at all (was nice that the ICE still worked!). It was all replaced under warranty, but it definitely is still a concern for me on other EVs. FYI, I was using only the standard cable that came with my volvo for charging. So unsure what caused the FUSE issues.
We were using the standard cable for a while on our Leaf too, but I wanted another EVSE for exactly that reason. We now have the ChargePoint Flex for charging and the mobile cable is a spare. One is sort of screwed if the charging cable has an issue and you don’t have a backup.

We were using the standard cable for a while on our Leaf too, but I wanted another EVSE for exactly that reason. We now have the ChargePoint Flex for charging and the mobile cable is a spare. One is sort of screwed if the charging cable has an issue and you don’t have a backup.
Yah, I have two cables now as well. When the "at Home" Lucid charger comes out with the ability to power my home, I will install that if they allow me to in Canada.

"The point is that when you factor 60% of the cars total charge capability (80% down to 20%) and take 70% of that (speed, AC, hills, heat/cold"

This is the formula. Maybe you can tweak driving minimally to get the 70% to 75-80 and as you become more comfortable drop the bottom number from 20 to 10 so you can get 3-4 hour legs on a toad trip. That is what I am shooting for with Lucid that you really cannot get with any other car.
And also keep in mind that zero doesn’t really mean zero. If Lucid is like Tesla and other companies.

Meaning that when the car says zero there is likely still 20 miles left. So subtract those missing 20 miles from range as well.

So many things eat away at the range experience. So what we actually feel is much less than what we could ideally get.

Admittedly, I had the primary and secondary controller fuse blow on my Volvo T8. Vehicle would not charge at all (was nice that the ICE still worked!). It was all replaced under warranty, but it definitely is still a concern for me on other EVs. FYI, I was using only the standard cable that came with my volvo for charging. So unsure what caused the FUSE issues.
It's a Volvo, they're notorious for issues even though they are super safe. And I say this as a Volvo owner, driving an XC90 T8, which will soon become my wife's vehicle once I get my GT.

If I had the AC on my Mercedes’ I’d drop from 34 to 28mpg, and if it was around town driving I’d get 25mpg, giving me about 280 miles of range max. The Lucid already performs better than that, driving 117 miles starting at 82% state of charge and I got 278 miles left, and that was with doing a launch, driving around town, going up and down hills over bridges, using the massage seat and temp being 54 degrees outside. So if people are wanting EVs to beat gas cars, well there you go, Lucid has done it and my numbers are good even without 70mph flat surface perfect weather controlled test.
I'm surprised more people don't notice these things about their cars. My husband's BMW X5 plug-in loves the highway. It can get well over 500 miles on a full tank and one "19 mile" charge, but drive it in town and you lose at least 150 miles. Take it back on the highway and watch it gain those miles while you speed along. My i3 was the exact opposite. Loved town, drained like mad on the highway.

For me, it's all about my mindset and my use-case. This will be my first EV. It is an experiment for me. I have 47k miles on my 7.5 year old BMW M5. I do not drive a ton. I work from home. I would guess that 95% of the time, range will not even enter the equation for me as I rarely take a trip where I can't just charge the car overnight in my own garage. Now, if I start to make some longer trips and "learn" how to manage the charging situation/network, my opinion might change (or at least be formed). I still firmly believe my wife's GLS 450 will be better for trips, but I am going to experiment on a couple trips with the Lucid at some point.

I honestly believe though that, as @GEWC said above, the choice for "around town" and "longer highway" trips lends itself to different choices, EV vs ICE. The charging network in the Southeast just isn't where the network is in CA, but, then again, we don't have the saturation of EV's that CA does either. The first time I go somewhere and have to actually wait in line for a charger might be painful. The closest EA charger to me is about 30 minutes away, not really close enough to test it at delivery.

Hmmm, I got 3.3 mi/kWh today and that was with doing a launch in sprint mode and some hills and going 85 sometimes on the interstate combined with a lot of in town stop and go, climate set to 68 and one seat massage run. It was 51 degrees here. I think something might be wrong with your car.

Other than the perfect outside temperature, this is IMO a good test. Keep it up.

The question I have is the Lucid actually performing at a level the same or higher than Tesla? Is it even performing as designed?

My Model S 75D averaged 3.45 mi/kWh (290 W/mi) over the three years I had it (mostly city and stop-and-go freeway, almost no road trips). It's stated range was based on 300 W/mi or 250 miles. So, I was getting about 95% of the mileage I expected when I bought the car.

I haven't driven my GT enough miles yet, but it seems like people are getting low 3s, or even struggling to get over 3 mi/kWh (333 W/mi).

The post above said they got 3.3 mi/kWh (303 mi/W). Assuming they have 21" and GT, the stated range is 469 miles (4.18 mi/kWh, 239 W/mi on a 112 kW battery). That is a HUGE difference from stated and a much bigger delta than I experienced with my previous two Model S(s).

I am trying to stay positive, but something seems really off here. I have owned EVs (Tesla's) for 7 years, and I would have never bought a Lucid if I thought I could not do a 250 mile trip on a stated range of 469 miles-- even in the worst of conditions.

Again, trying to stay positive and see how my car actually performs (only have about 100 miles on it), but -- being hyperbolic for a second -- this almost smells like class action territory if real world averages end up being low 3s mi/kWh.

EDIT: Are the owners of Taycans (227 mile epa) really thinking they can only go 100 miles between charging?! (227 x 60% x 70% = 95 miles). I didn't get a Taycan purely based on range, now I'm thinking they might actually be about the same as my GT...

Last edited:
Another reference point is ABRP is using 267 W/mi (3.74 mi/kWh or 419 total miles) as it's reference efficiency for the GT. If you plan on using it as a route planner, I guess you should adjust this number somewhere closer to 310 or higher.

The question I have is the Lucid actually performing at a level the same or higher than Tesla? Is it even performing as designed?

My Model S 75D averaged 3.45 mi/kWh (290 W/mi) over the three years I had it (mostly city and stop-and-go freeway, almost no road trips). It's stated range was based on 300 W/mi or 250 miles. So, I was getting about 95% of the mileage I expected when I bought the car.

I haven't driven my GT enough miles yet, but it seems like people are getting low 3s, or even struggling to get over 3 mi/kWh (333 W/mi).

The post above said they got 3.3 mi/kWh (303 mi/W). Assuming they have 21" and GT, the stated range is 469 miles (4.18 mi/kWh, 239 W/mi on a 112 kW battery). That is a HUGE difference from stated and a much bigger delta than I experienced with my previous two Model S(s).

I am trying to stay positive, but something seems really off here. I have owned EVs (Tesla's) for 7 years, and I would have never bought a Lucid if I thought I could not do a 250 mile trip on a stated range of 469 miles-- even in the worst of conditions.

Again, trying to stay positive and see how my car actually performs (only have about 100 miles on it), but -- being hyperbolic for a second -- this almost smells like class action territory if real world averages end up being low 3s mi/kWh.

EDIT: Are the owners of Taycans (227 mile epa) really thinking they can only go 100 miles between charging?! (227 x 60% x 70% = 95 miles). I didn't get a Taycan purely based on range, now I'm thinking they might actually be about the same as my GT...
I don't understand posts like this, especially when you mention class actions. EPA ratings aren't faked and Tom was able to get within 20 miles of stated EPA, which is 96% of EPA range. I'm 100% certain that EPA ranged have a HUGE * stating ideal conditions blah blah. Everyone's driving conditions are different, everyone's habits are different. The best comparison for you is to drive a while (more than 500 miles) of your normal driving and compare the two.

Someone living in Colorado, Los Angeles, Bay Area, Florida and New York all have vastly different road conditions and weather conditions which already affect the range even if you could copy the driver's habits.

Are the owners of Taycans (227 mile epa) really thinking they can only go 100 miles between charging?! (227 x 60% x 70% = 95 miles).

The Taycan doesn't use the same EPA test the Tesla and Lucid uses so their estimate is already discounted significantly. They probably match or exceed their estimates.

When car brands use the alternate method comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.

You would still need to adjust their estimate by the common practice of commonly maintaining charge between 20-80%

I don't understand posts like this, especially when you mention class actions. EPA ratings aren't faked and Tom was able to get within 20 miles of stated EPA, which is 96% of EPA range. I'm 100% certain that EPA ranged have a HUGE * stating ideal conditions blah blah. Everyone's driving conditions are different, everyone's habits are different. The best comparison for you is to drive a while (more than 500 miles) of your normal driving and compare the two.

Note I prefaced my comment by saying I was being hyperbolic.

I am not sure who Tom is (may have missed it in one of the above posts), but I am using my real-world experience of 7 years driving Teslas and people's real-world experiences of their Lucid (mine does not have enough miles to comment).

Regardless of how epa is calculated, my 2018 Model S seems to be more efficient than a 2022 Lucid that is already claiming to be 20% more efficient (239 W/mi vs. 300 W/mi). Maybe that does not concern you, but it sure does me.

I absolutely want Lucid to succeed, I would not have spent $150k otherwise. However -- for ME -- this seems like a real problem with where Lucid's technology is really at. I am more than willing to overlook software issues as they catch up, but I am absolutely not willing to overlook deficiencies in the actual car.

Someone living in Colorado, Los Angeles, Bay Area, Florida and New York all have vastly different road conditions and weather conditions which already affect the range even if you could copy the driver's habits.

My previous Tesla experience and my Lucid are in the exact same conditions. Currently, my Lucid says it is averaging 2.9 mi/kWh (albeit with only about 100 miles). That is 15% worse efficiency than my 2018 Model S when it is supposed to be 20% more efficient.

Although I am {still!} waiting for my Gray GT, all the information everyone has posted on their range and charging efficiency is very helpful for me to have my mental setpoint on what I should expect. I agree, with my prior ICE vehicles I never got what the EPA stated and I suspect I will not for the Lucid either. Thank you to everyone who has written about their experiences.

When car brands use the alternate method comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.

Is there any way to tell which method is being used? I wrongly have always assumed epa was epa. Seems like Porsche put themselves at a big marketing disadvantage by being honest. Not sure it would have changed anything, but me comparing a Taycan at 325 mi epa vs a Lucid at 469 mi epa may have made a difference.

Last edited:
Note I prefaced my comment by saying I was being hyperbolic.

I am not sure who Tom is (may have missed it in one of the above posts), but I am using my real-world experience of 7 years driving Teslas and people's real-world experiences of their Lucid (mine does not have enough miles to comment).

Regardless of how epa is calculated, my 2018 Model S seems to be more efficient than a 2022 Lucid that is already claiming to be 20% more efficient (239 W/mi vs. 300 W/mi). Maybe that does not concern you, but it sure does me.

I absolutely want Lucid to succeed, I would not have spent $150k otherwise. However -- for ME -- this seems like a real problem with where Lucid's technology is really at. I am more than willing to overlook software issues as they catch up, but I am absolutely not willing to overlook deficiencies in the actual car.

My previous Tesla experience and my Lucid are in the exact same conditions. Currently, my Lucid says it is averaging 2.9 mi/kWh (albeit with only about 100 miles). That is 15% worse efficiency than my 2018 Model S when it is supposed to be 20% more efficient.
I did miss, I apologize! But here is the Tom I'm referring to.

Hmmm, I got 3.3 mi/kWh today and that was with doing a launch in sprint mode and some hills and going 85 sometimes on the interstate combined with a lot of in town stop and go, climate set to 68 and one seat massage run. It was 51 degrees here. I think something might be wrong with your car.
I agree, I asked the the person I sold my 2013 Tesla P85+ if he had reset the trip B on the Tesla, . I had never reset that one since I purchased the car he said no so asked him to forward me a photo of the screen which he did.
I will post the photos later but long story short I'm getting about the same usage of energy on the Tesla as I am on the Lucid .
The Lucid should be getting 35% better then my Tesla did

EPA sua
2013 Tesla 100 Miles 38 Kilowatts Used
2020 Tesla 100 Miles 30 Kilowatts Used
2022 Lucid 100 Miles 27 Kilowatts Used

My Tesla Distance 81,664 Total Energy 29,032= 2.813 Miles/KWh this is with mostly winter driving
My Lucid Distance 3901 Total Energy 1358= 2.9 This was summer driving only (For sure something is not right with my car)

I agree, I asked the the person I sold my 2013 Tesla P85+ if he had reset the trip B on the Tesla, . I had never reset that one since I purchased the car he said no so asked him to forward me a photo of the screen which he did.
I will post the photos later but long story short I'm getting about the same usage of energy on the Tesla as I am on the Lucid .
The Lucid should be getting 35% better then my Tesla did

EPA sua
2013 Tesla 100 Miles 38 Kilowatts Used
2020 Tesla 100 Miles 30 Kilowatts Used
2022 Lucid 100 Miles 27 Kilowatts Used

My Tesla Distance 81,664 Total Energy 29,032= 2.813 Miles/KWh this is with mostly winter driving
My Lucid Distance 3901 Total Energy 1358= 2.9 This was summer driving only (For sure something is not right with my car)

Have you talked to Lucid? Maybe one of the motors has an issue / or bad wheel bearing / a dragging brake etc.

How has your Lucid driving been summer only? It’s not summer yet.

Have you talked to Lucid? Maybe one of the motors has an issue / or bad wheel bearing / a dragging brake etc.

How has your Lucid driving been summer only? It’s not summer yet.
I have many many times since the second day I have been saying there is a problem and like a lot of people on here Lucid said there are many things that play in to range which I don't disagree. They are picking the car up next week.

For work I drive the same routes sometime multiple times a day.
Today is the first day since I have owned the car that I got stated EPA results.
This morning I drove to a location 3 time same drive same conditions and same style of driving
1st trip 2.7 Mile/kWh
2nd trip 5.9
3rd trip 6.4
I have never seen above 3.5 until then. So something has changed

Last edited:
For work I drive the same routes sometime multiple times a day.
Today is the first day since I have owned the car that I got stated EPA results.
This morning I drove to a location 3 time same drive same conditions and same style if driving
1st trip 2.7 Mile/kWh
2nd trip 5.9
3rd trip 6.4
I have never seen above 3.5 until then. So something has changed
That is an over 100% difference between readings. On the same route with the same driver? Is one in miles and one in kilometers lol

Back