How Long Do You Plan To Hold On To Your Lucid Air?

How Long Do You Plan To Hold On To Your Lucid Air?

• 5+ Years

Votes: 100 64.9%
  • 4 Years

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • 3 Years

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • 2 Years

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • 1 Year

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 3-12 Months

• Going To Flip It As Soon As I Get It

• Total voters
I usually keep my cars for about 10 years. I will likely replace the Lucid with another Air in about 5 years or so depending on the advancements in software, batteries, etc. I'm sold on Lucid.

I wouls be really sad if I’m ever forced to give up my car due to catastrophic failure or it becoming stupid expensive to keep on the road. Like yeah I want a Gravity even though I don’t like SUVs, but I wouldn’t have much use for it since the Air is so good at doing everything I need. As climate change starts to wreck things more and more then Gravity might be the smarter option for me so I can drive through floods easier but barring apocalyptic scenarios I’m determined to keep my GT until it’s stupid to do so, and then maybe still keep it anyway after that.

I wouls be really sad if I’m ever forced to give up my car due to catastrophic failure or it becoming stupid expensive to keep on the road. Like yeah I want a Gravity even though I don’t like SUVs, but I wouldn’t have much use for it since the Air is so good at doing everything I need. As climate change starts to wreck things more and more then Gravity might be the smarter option for me so I can drive through floods easier but barring apocalyptic scenarios I’m determined to keep my GT until it’s stupid to do so, and then maybe still keep it anyway after that.

If our car were a later build, I'd be more inclined to keep it beyond warranty, as I'm pretty sure some components have been modified as on-road experience grew with the cars. I don't impugn Lucid for this, as I've lived through the same growing pains with early builds of new models from Jaguar, Audi, Mercedes, and Honda. It's the price of being a habitual early adopter. But it does make warranties a bigger factor in how long I want to keep a car.

The structure of the Air remains rock solid, and the interior materials are holding up beautifully with virtually no signs of wear. But we've had to have the battery pack, the rear drive unit, and the windshield replaced. This probably would have been over $30,000 in repairs outside of warranty.

I used to hope that Lucid would introduce an extended warranty, but I don't think that's going to happen at this stage. So we're probably nearing the halfway point with our Air. I'm just praying they reintroduce a dual-motor performance version without the more track-oriented features of the Sapphire . . . or, even better, a tri-motor pure luxe version.

If our car were a later build, I'd be more inclined to keep it beyond warranty, as I'm pretty sure some components have been modified as on-road experience grew with the cars. I don't impugn Lucid for this, as I've lived through the same growing pains with early builds of new models from Jaguar, Audi, Mercedes, and Honda. It's the price of being a habitual early adopter. But it does make warranties a bigger factor in how long I want to keep a car.

The structure of the Air remains rock solid, and the interior materials are holding up beautifully with virtually no signs of wear. But we've had to have the battery pack, the rear drive unit, and the windshield replaced. This probably would have been over $30,000 in repairs outside of warranty.

I used to hope that Lucid would introduce an extended warranty, but I don't think that's going to happen at this stage. So we're probably nearing the halfway point with our Air. I'm just praying they reintroduce a dual-motor performance version without the more track-oriented features of the Sapphire . . . or, even better, a tri-motor pure luxe version.
What about an aftermarket warranty? Other than the fact that they tend to be scams, that is.

What about an aftermarket warranty? Other than the fact that they tend to be scams, that is.

I would only buy a car warranty issued by or bought through the manufacturer or dealer, so I haven't even checked the aftermarket.

I would only buy a car warranty issued by or bought through the manufacturer or dealer, so I haven't even checked the aftermarket.
This is the one thing I'm worried about keeping my GT past the initial warranty. The cost of repairs and maintenance without manufacturer's warranty may be too expensive to keep as a daily. Anyone else worried about this?

Worrying about it won’t help anything. I’d wager an EQS or Rivian or whatever is no cheaper to repair if something dies past the warranty. If it’s $20K for battery versus $120k for new Lucid and I’m otherwise still happy with my car, then I’ll just pay to repair it. 🤷‍♂️
There’s many examples of high mileage Teslas being kept on the road after warranty.

I’d wager an EQS or Rivian or whatever is no cheaper to repair if something dies past the warranty.

I don't think anyone is claiming the Lucid will be more expensive to repair than other premium cars. They are ALL very expensive to repair, especially the German brands. It's why I bought extended warranties on all of them if available. I usually did it at time of car purchase even if I didn't plan to keep the car more than four years, as the manufacturer/dealer warranties were discounted with early purchase, were transferable, and raised the resale value of the car if still in warranty. In fact, the only way I was able to sell my problem-plagued 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG was because it had an extended warranty. The buyer wouldn't take the car until he obtained a written acknowledgment from the warranty company that they would transfer the warranty to him.

If it’s $20K for battery versus $120k for new Lucid and I’m otherwise still happy with my car, then I’ll just pay to repair it.

This, along with resale value, is another factor in the equation about whether or when to sell or trade a car. While my current thinking is to sell at the 4-year mark, if the resale value at the time is abnormally low (and let's face it, it might be) and the car is still holding up well (which it promises to be), I might decide to keep it and run the risk of expensive repairs.

This Lucid Air is actually the first car I have ever owned that might induce me to take that risk. With every other car I've sold, something more appealing had come to market during the time I owned the car. I track EV developments as closely as I can (having lost all interest in ICE vehicles), and there are not even hints or teases of something coming to market in the next two years that can match the balance of power, handling, range, roominess, and style of the Air.

I don't think anyone is claiming the Lucid will be more expensive to repair than other premium cars. They are ALL very expensive to repair, especially the German brands. It's why I bought extended warranties on all of them if available. I usually did it at time of car purchase even if I didn't plan to keep the car more than four years, as the manufacturer/dealer warranties were discounted with early purchase, were transferable, and raised the resale value of the car if still in warranty. In fact, the only way I was able to sell my problem-plagued 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG was because it had an extended warranty. The buyer wouldn't take the car until he obtained a written acknowledgment from the warranty company that they would transfer the warranty to him.

This, along with resale value, is another factor in the equation about whether or when to sell or trade a car. While my current thinking is to sell at the 4-year mark, if the resale value at the time is abnormally low (and let's face it, it might be) and the car is still holding up well (which it promises to be), I might decide to keep it and run the risk of expensive repairs.

This Lucid Air is actually the first car I have ever owned that might induce me to take that risk. With every other car I've sold, something more appealing had come to market during the time I owned the car. I track EV developments as closely as I can (having lost all interest in ICE vehicles), and there are not even hints or teases of something coming to market in the next two years that can match the balance of power, handling, range, roominess, and style of the Air.
That’s sound reasoning. Lucid really is class leading in just about all things except for ADAS (seems like Ford leads here), so I don’t even have the slightest inclination to consider another brand.

I’ve long ago learned never to make predictions about how long I hold on to anything. I always feel perfectly satisfied with things until I’m not.

The new and shiny are hard for me to resist.

Given Lucid’s next two vehicles will be an SUV and then likely some sort of mid-sized crossover, I doubt I’ll be changing to one of those over my Air, though.

The mid-sized sedan could maybe be the first other Lucid that would tempt me. I’ve always been a fan of smaller cars. But at this point, I think my family is pretty spoiled on the massive back seat leg room. So I might be outvoted there.

If the Air were to get a major interior overhaul, basically giving it the Gravity screens, faster chips, etc., that would more likely be a thing that puts me over the edge. I like having the latest and greatest version.

And then of course there are cars from any number of other manufacturers that could come out in the next several years. I have yet to see anything that I find remotely tempting, but never say never.

The last Cayman S with turbo kit that I owned was so fun to drive, that after 1 full year of ownership (which is my median hold time for a car) I told my wife that I loved it and will keep it for years. The following day some guy from Rennlist messaged me and offered me significantly more than I invested in it. It was sold that day. Point is, it's impossible to guess for most car enthusiasts. In my case, I love my AT which has been virtually problem free over 11,000 miles. Maybe if Lucid started a decent trade-in program I'll get into a Gravity.

That’s sound reasoning. Lucid really is class leading in just about all things except for ADAS (seems like Ford leads here), so I don’t even have the slightest inclination to consider another brand.

Fortunately for me, ADAS is the tech feature in cars that least interests me. I didn't buy FSD in our second Tesla, having seen Tesla remove some of the Enhanced Autopilot features we paid for in our first Tesla. Our Honda Odyssey has adaptive cruise control and some level of lane keep assist, and I don't even remember how to engage them.

I love to drive. I love to feel a powerful car respond to the throttle. I love the lean of a car into a fast curve. I love doing this for hours on end on a road trip. And I even mostly love driving in traffic.

I won't actually get interested in ADAS until age finally makes driving difficult or risky for me, at which point I will need true self driving -- and not that endless tease for which Tesla charges $15,000 -- to stay mobile.

Fortunately for me, ADAS is the tech feature in cars that least interests me. I didn't buy FSD in our second Tesla, having seen Tesla remove some of the Enhanced Autopilot features we paid for in our first Tesla. Our Honda Odyssey has adaptive cruise control and some level of lane keep assist, and I don't even remember how to engage them.

I love to drive. I love to feel a powerful car respond to the throttle. I love the lean of a car into a fast curve. I love doing this for hours on end on a road trip. And I even mostly love driving in traffic.

I won't actually get interested in ADAS until age finally makes driving difficult or risky for me, at which point I will need true self driving -- and not that endless tease for which Tesla charges $15,000 -- to stay mobile.
Yep, I'm in the same boat. I need to see autonomous driving be safer than any human in ALL circumstances. That won't happen for at least another 2 decades, if it happens at all. I'm planning on keeping my Lucid a decade. It has everything I need and I don't want to keep wasting money on new cars. I've burned through a lot of money doing that. I feel I've finally found a car that is almost perfect for my needs. Software improvements means no real reason to sell anytime soon.

Plan to drive it into the ground, like my family has with basically all cars ever. the depreciation for me at this stage makes it an even bigger loss if I get rid of mine.
I plan to drive it at least until close to the expiration of the warranty. Anything more would depend on any issues I have with it at the time.

Maybe Lucid will give us a nice trade in if they are still around in 5 years to upgrade to the Gravity 🤪. I expect that would be the second
Model year of the Gravity by then and the kinks would have been worked out.

Better still if I could buy one gently used at half price. Just look at what all the 1 to 2 year old EV’s are selling for today.

I plan to drive it at least until close to the expiration of the warranty. Anything more would depend on any issues I have with it at the time.

Maybe Lucid will give us a nice trade in if they are still around in 5 years to upgrade to the Gravity 🤪. I expect that would be the second
Model year of the Gravity by then and the kinks would have been worked out.

Better still if I could buy one gently used at half price. Just look at what all the 1 to 2 year old EV’s are selling for today.
Did you add words to my post? Lol may want to edit so you arent portraying a misquote!

I have a history of trading cars I like for the same model if a significantly higher-powered version comes out. I did it when Mazda added a turbocharged 1987 RX-7 to its lineup a year after I bought the new generation 1986 RX-7. I did it when Mercedes added a 2004 supercharged SL55 AMG a year after I bought the new generation 2003 SL. I did it when Audi brought out the 2010 V10 R8 two years after I bought the new 2008 V8 R8.

The only car I kept after a more powerful model was introduced was the 2015 Tesla Model S P90D. That car's performance was so far beyond what I could safely use that I just no longer saw the point.

This leaves me with a dilemma regarding the Air. Even before I received our Dream Edition Performance, I was assuming that I would trade up to the tri-motor Air when it arrived. However, I'm even more of the mind than I was with the earlier Tesla that the car has such prodigious performance that there would really be no point. Also, after now experiencing the deleterious effect of a rearward weight shift in the Model S Plaid due to the additional rear motor, I'm concerned the tri-motor might even be a step backward (although its motor is considerably lighter than the Tesla's in a car that weighs several hundred pounds more overall).

That being said -- and as there is nothing on the horizon for the next few years that promises to compete with the Air in its superb balance of performance, comfort, and style -- it may be the car we keep for a while.
The Sapphire only weighs 200lbs more than the DE. I can guarantee it is not a step backward. The handling is significantly improved as is traction control. The steering is also significantly better in feel and response. On the highway aside from a little more tire noise the two cars are indistinguishable in ride comfort.

Back