How Long Do You Plan To Hold On To Your Lucid Air?

How Long Do You Plan To Hold On To Your Lucid Air?

• 5+ Years

Votes: 100 64.9%
  • 4 Years

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • 3 Years

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • 2 Years

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • 1 Year

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 3-12 Months

• Going To Flip It As Soon As I Get It

• Total voters
I think one day when I have grand kids, I’ll determine who is more interested in this car and more deserving, I’ll leave him or her in my will or give him or her when driving is no longer necessary. Maybe that time personal flying vehicle or teleport capsule is already invented, he or she will be driving coolest pony in style.

Maybe I’ll give mine to my kid when she turns 16 14 1/2 years from now and the battery has degraded down to only the range of a Taycan haha.
:oops::eek:

My son is 16 with a permit. He will NOT be driving this car. I might let him drive it with (me in it) in another 16 years.

Can you imagine a teen boy driving this beast of a car? Dad! This is sooooo cool! Let me show you Launch mode up that mountain road.

My 20yo daughter, however, might get a chance.

I usually get a new car once they are out of warranty, but I’m planning to keep my GT for 7-10 years. I’ve never had a car that gets better with age, so this is a new experience for me. Each update is like a box of Cracker Jacks.

I might have to wait for the Tr-motor with Solid State or "One" Battery...

This is going to be my first EV, and I am excited to give Lucid a try! I have read electric motors last a long time, (read somewhere 350k miles+) and these Lucid motors are smaller, more advanced and different from those tested, the Battery will probably need to be replaced in 10-15 years but who knows?.. These cars dont have combustion engines that require oil, plugs, fuel injectors, motor and fuel pumps etc, and all the stuff that goes bad with age on combustion engine cars after about 50-100k miles, and why traditional cars depreciate. So, having the very first Lucid Product might make this car a keeper.

In my opinion, Electric cars are still in their infancy, in 10 years this car could become a classic since it is a true EV game changer today, and cars 10 years from now will be even more advanced.. These are high tech computerized cars, in 20 years it could be like looking at the very first apple computer, it could have a funky cool factor about it, the car will get software updates just like our computers do, eventually the hardware could become obsolete but most of the items are modular can easily be replaced just like a computer, but I think it will still have a dated funky coolness about it in 10-20 years for sure. Then again it could just become an old car, but I dont think so, since people will not shy away from buying a vintage EV that has 150k miles on it if the motors last 350k and the battery 15 years, with low maintenance required.. The average person drives 10-15k miles per year, so in 10 years most of these cars will have 100-150k miles on them, and still have plenty of life left (350k miles = 24 year motor life at 15k miles per year, and 35 years at 10k miles per year), so resale could be very high on true EV's for their first 50% of life compared to combustion engine cars, since most of the parts (while may be expensive) are plug and play.. The cost of a new battery in 15 years is probably allot less than one would spend over 15 years of owning a combustion BMW or Mercedes on fluid & filter changes alone. So while these machines seem expensive they could have a much longer life span compared a combustion engine car, so if they last twice or three times as long we could look back at this time as a EV bargain time, since they will likely get very expensive to buy if they prove to have long life spans. Too early to tell for sure yet but interesting to think about.

It’s hard to predict long term value of any EV, and the reliability of Lucid’s drive motors/batteries are kind of an unknown, but I plan on keeping this car for as long as it’s not financial/psychological torture to do so. Could be 2 years but I’m hoping it’s 20 and think that’s realistic.

I only had one turtle event so far. It happened three days ago. Car was in our garage. Refuse to move in either direction. The yellow turtle showed on the dash. Called service. Did a long reboot and everything went back to normal. Have used everyday since with no issue. Car has 5k+ miles. It was not much of a problem since it happened while parked in the garage. However, given my age and the South Florida Summer temperatures, I would not want to own a car that stops in the middle of the road and can't be driven. I have been a strong supporter and a brand ambassador since day one. Love the car and I do hope it doesn't happen again.
did you find out what caused the yellow turtle?

This is going to be my first EV, and I am excited to give Lucid a try! I have read electric motors last a long time, (read somewhere 350k miles+) and these Lucid motors are smaller, more advanced and different from those tested, the Battery will probably need to be replaced in 10-15 years but who knows?.. These cars dont have combustion engines that require oil, plugs, fuel injectors, motor and fuel pumps etc, and all the stuff that goes bad with age on combustion engine cars after about 50-100k miles, and why traditional cars depreciate. So, having the very first Lucid Product might make this car a keeper.

In my opinion, Electric cars are still in their infancy, in 10 years this car could become a classic since it is a true EV game changer today, and cars 10 years from now will be even more advanced.. These are high tech computerized cars, in 20 years it could be like looking at the very first apple computer, it could have a funky cool factor about it, the car will get software updates just like our computers do, eventually the hardware could become obsolete but most of the items are modular can easily be replaced just like a computer, but I think it will still have a dated funky coolness about it in 10-20 years for sure. Then again it could just become an old car, but I dont think so, since people will not shy away from buying a vintage EV that has 150k miles on it if the motors last 350k and the battery 15 years, with low maintenance required.. The average person drives 10-15k miles per year, so in 10 years most of these cars will have 100-150k miles on them, and still have plenty of life left (350k miles = 24 year motor life at 15k miles per year, and 35 years at 10k miles per year), so resale could be very high on true EV's for their first 50% of life compared to combustion engine cars, since most of the parts (while may be expensive) are plug and play.. The cost of a new battery in 15 years is probably allot less than one would spend over 15 years of owning a combustion BMW or Mercedes on fluid & filter changes alone. So while these machines seem expensive they could have a much longer life span compared a combustion engine car, so if they last twice or three times as long we could look back at this time as a EV bargain time, since they will likely get very expensive to buy if they prove to have long life spans. Too early to tell for sure yet but interesting to think about.
If I keep mine, in 10 years it may have 40K miles if that 🤪

So doing an update are most of us still holding on to the car for 5+ years ?
I may swap my AGT out for a Gravity in a couple years. No plans to sell it though.

When a car comes along representing a big leap in driving experience or safety over the Lucid, and it isn’t financially disastrous to do so, I expect to replace it. However this probably won’t happen for several years.

So doing an update are most of us still holding on to the car for 5+ years ?

As with most of the more expensive cars I've owned, I don't plan on keeping the Air beyond the warranty period. We only kept our first Tesla for six years because we were able to buy a 2-year warranty extension from Tesla, and we traded it as the warranty end approached. (Cars are the only products for which I purchase extended warranties.)

No extended factory warranty is available on our newer Tesla or our Air. When the Gravity arrives to replace our Honda Odyssey we plan to go down to two vehicles and will sell the Tesla. I would like to keep our Air Dream Edition long term as our second vehicle because I love the extra power punch it offers above the GT (and its gorgeous Santa Monica interior). But, as with the German cars I've always sold or traded upon warranty expiration, I'm just not willing to risk the cost of non-warranty repairs on the Air.

I'm already depressed about this, as I don't see anything being rumored in development that will have the style, power, and roominess of the Air Dream even two years from now when its warranty expires. The bloated and blingy luxo-barges that are coming out of Munich and Stuttgart offer little hope.

Last edited:
I usually keep my cars 2-4 years, but I like my Lucid so much....there is nothing I see that can replace it anytime soon. I can see myself keeping this car a decade. Even after a year, it feels like I got the car just last week.

I will keep mine until the warranty runs out and then probably sell it for whatever I can get and not buy another EV unless there have been significant advances in battery technology.

It's been fun to drive a very fast EV but I have decided that I will keep an ICE car/SUV for traveling, for now.

I’ll keep mine until a better car comes out. I don’t see anything on the horizon that looks like one, yet; but I suspect before the warranty runs out either Lucid or someone else will make another big advancement.

Meanwhile, I’ll almost certainly be replacing my wife’s Ioniq 5 with the Gravity; unsure which edition yet.

I will trade in the Air for a Gravity in 2027-ish timeframe and supplement that with the mid size Lucid sedan in 2028. Last cars I will need. Those I will keep for 20 years.

I plan on selling mine to the highest bidder at the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale Auction in 2078.
I figure I'll need the money to order my 130th birthday present... Lucid's fusion-powered free gravitational vehicle. No more debate over wheel sizes, because there will be no more wheels.

Back