Homelink

Has to have HomeKit enabled, and MyQ has a HomeKit adapter.
I’m replying here instead of the DE thread to keep it more on topic here. So I have a Chamberlain MyQ WiFi enabled opener. It’s already on my network and I just use the MyQ app to open and close it. But the MyQ website makes it look like I need to buy this $70 adapter to make it work with Siri/HomeKit if I want to say “hey Siri open/close garage door”, or use that car play button. But then when you look at the description on the MyQ site, it says the adapter is only for devices that aren’t WiFI enabled. So why can’t I get Apple HomeKit to recognize my MyQ app? I also tried to do the IFTTT routine via Alexa but our home Alexa (via our firecube) is set to my wife’s Amazon account, whereas not realizing that I set IFTTT to link to my Amazon account which is what’s connected to my MyQ opener app, so Alexa isn’t recognizing my IFTTT routine for the MyQ opener because it’s set up for my wife’s account 🤦‍♂️. This is a funny stupid and confusing mess just to use a voice command to open and close a damn garage door. It takes software 75 steps and still has issues to do what one button does right every time haha.

It shows up in CarPlay Home Screen if you have your garage synced with apple home kit

Yes, you need the MyQ home bridge https://www.chamberlain.com/myq-home-bridge/p/MYQ-G0303-SP

Then when activated, your door openers (you only need one for all the doors you have) will show up in the home app. Then as you use it, Apple should be smart enough to show you your door in Carplay...

I use it all the time with my Acura and I am going to be so sad if Lucid doesn't have CarPlay enabled when I get my GT but I guess I will just mount my phone in front of the 5k display. :)

b15127c7-7e68-4e6d-ad72-4bb739cfe705.png

Ah OK. I guess even if Lucid doesn’t implement CarPlay for a long time, if you’re set with HomeKit connected to your MyQ opener, then you can just use Siri to open and close it since your phone will be with you anyway. I’m just annoyed that I have to buy another piece of hardware and spend time setting it up when my opener is already on the WiFi and uses an app on iOS. I don’t get why it needs more hardware.

Ah OK. I guess even if Lucid doesn’t implement CarPlay for a long time, if you’re set with HomeKit connected to your MyQ opener, then you can just use Siri to open and close it since your phone will be with you anyway. I’m just annoyed that I have to buy another piece of hardware and spend time setting it up when my opener is already on the WiFi and uses an app on iOS. I don’t get why it needs more hardware.
100%, I use it a lot to let my kids in.

Hmmm, I’d rather have a button because sometimes I want to keep the car in the driveway but garage door open (while washing it for example), and other times I want to keep the garage door closed but parked close to it, as my wife’s car might be in the garage. I have a one car garage and it’s detached so that makes things more complicated. I’ll just try to set up the apple home Siri feature with MyQ though, should eliminate all these issues.
So … I spent about an hour setting up HomeBridge, MyQ, Shortcuts and Siri this morning. It probably didn’t need THAT long, but I was pre-coffee, and haven’t been interested in Siri or Shortcuts until now.

I needed HomeBridge because my particular MyQ is not HomeKit ready… eg you need to buy something more (which I didn’t see the need for)
works great.

I can now tell Alexa or Siri to open / close the garage or check the status … or (the one I like) “when the LAST person leaves the house, close the garage door” … “when the first person arrives home, open the garage door”

So … I used HomeBridge - which is a software / open source service - that meant I didn’t need to buy the MyQ Bridge

Happy to write up a walk through. I used docker (but realize many are not as comfortable with that) - some examples I saw, used raspberry Pi for $30

More can be found here https://homebridge.io/
if you have a NAS (like synology or QNAP) you wont even need to buy anything, just install and configure

Last edited:
So … I spent about an hour setting up HomeBridge, MyQ, Shortcuts and Siri this morning. It probably didn’t need THAT long, but I was pre-coffee, and haven’t been interested in Siri or Shortcuts until now.

I needed HomeBridge because my particular MyQ is not HomeKit ready… eg you need to buy something more (which I didn’t see the need for)
works great.

I can now tell Alexa or Siri to open / close the garage or check the status … or (the one I like) “when the LAST person leaves the house, close the garage door” … “when the first person arrives home, open the garage door”

Ooooooh I didn’t even think of setting up an automation based on presence. I’ll do that in HA today!!

So … I used HomeBridge - which is a software / open source service - that meant I didn’t need to buy the MyQ Bridge

Happy to write up a walk through. I used docker (but realize many are not as comfortable with that) - some examples I saw, used raspberry Pi for $30

More can be found here https://homebridge.io/
if you have a NAS (like synology or QNAP) you wont even need to buy anything, just install and configure
Thanks! I installed homebridge on MacOS on my laptop, followed all the instructions, installed the MyQ app plug-in with the correct username/password, restarted homebridge, and then in Apple Home on my iPhone I chose "add accessory" and scan the QR code on the homebridge website, and then I chose "add bridge"... and it scans forever and then says it can't find the accessory. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks! I installed homebridge on MacOS on my laptop, followed all the instructions, installed the MyQ app plug-in with the correct username/password, restarted homebridge, and then in Apple Home on my iPhone I chose "add accessory" and scan the QR code on the homebridge website, and then I chose "add bridge"... and it scans forever and then says it can't find the accessory. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
I added the HomeBridge vi the code not the qrc

After adding the MyQ plug-in I restarted HomeBridge … then the “room” and accessory were visible

After adding the MyQ plug-in I restarted HomeBridge … then the “room” and accessory were visible
Yeah I tried typing in the code instead of the QR code too. I just realized I’m on an older version of Mac OS Big Sur though so I’m gonna update to Monterrey and maybe that will fix it. I did successfully add the MyQ plug in though, it’s cool cuz on the homebridge site when you use the MyQ app the site will tell you you opened or closed the garage door. Just gotta get my damn apple Home app to recognize it…

Dude! My firewall was on. As soon as I turned it off everything worked. Now I can just say hey Siri open garage door or close garage door and it works perfectly. So these people who built HomeBridge figured out how to do something that MyQ couldn’t do without new hardware, Lucid can’t do well with homelink, and Alexa can only do half of it with IFTTT by closing the garage door but not opening it. This forum rocks. Thanks guys.

New problem though. When I close my laptop or it goes to sleep, homebridge no longer allows me to use Siri to open the garage door and the home app says it’s offline. 👎

New problem though. When I close my laptop or it goes to sleep, homebridge no longer allows me to use Siri to open the garage door and the home app says it’s offline. 👎
That’s why the MyQ bridge for HomeKit is a quick fix for that. Also, unrelated, if you have Nest products use the Starling (https://www.starlinghome.io/) bridge to bring them into HomeKit.

Yeah, I have mine running on my NAS.
others have put it up on a little raspberry pi - running on a tiny USB adapter

or as @Alex suggests there are other bridges that will do similar.

Yeah, I have mine running on my NAS.
others have put it up on a little raspberry pi - running on a tiny USB adapter

or as @Alex suggests there are other bridges that will do similar.

I also have mine running on my NAS in Docker, although I don’t use Homebridge anymore.

Basically, Homebridge needs to be “always on” in order to work as a bridge, so you can either buy an off-the-shelf bridge or run it on some always-on computer; my Synology NAS for me, or a raspberry pi, or some other home server.

Cool, I don’t need a NAS, but I think I’ll get the HOOBS box. Seems like the best option since I’ve got Nest cameras, thermostat, locks and protects, a bunch of Alexa and Google home plugs/lights, plus the MyQ garage opener, Roomba vacuums and LG laundry devices, and would really prefer to just put all that mess into HomeKit and be done with it, rather than trying to remember which ones I gotta say “Alexa” for and which ones I gotta open up an app for. Looks like the Raspberry Pi is by far the best bargain but I could picture myself screwing stuff up based on how long it took me to get homebridge to add just one thing and actually get it working, only to learn I need an “always on” device to get it to work.

Cool, I don’t need a NAS, but I think I’ll get the HOOBS box. Seems like the best option since I’ve got Nest cameras, thermostat, locks and protects, a bunch of Alexa and Google home plugs/lights, plus the MyQ garage opener, Roomba vacuums and LG laundry devices, and would really prefer to just put all that mess into HomeKit and be done with it, rather than trying to remember which ones I gotta say “Alexa” for and which ones I gotta open up an app for. Looks like the Raspberry Pi is by far the best bargain but I could picture myself screwing stuff up based on how long it took me to get homebridge to add just one thing and actually get it working, only to learn I need an “always on” device to get it to work.

Check out Home Assistant if you’ve got a lot of devices.

Hmmm, I’d rather have a button because sometimes I want to keep the car in the driveway but garage door open (while washing it for example), and other times I want to keep the garage door closed but parked close to it, as my wife’s car might be in the garage. I have a one car garage and it’s detached so that makes things more complicated. I’ll just try to set up the apple home Siri feature with MyQ though, should eliminate all these issues.
Automatic door opening is optional on Teslas. You can turn it on or off depending on your preferences. If it’s off you can operate Homelink by clicking an in on that remains visible regardless of backup camera status or anything else on the screen. Easy, the way it should be.

Back