Home Charging vs. Electrify America

Question on EA. Since the car is already recognized at the EA charger, is there any benefit to having an account with them on their site/app?

Question on EA. Since the car is already recognized at the EA charger, is there any benefit to having an account with them on their site/app?
Aside from paying charging session from the app, you can also search all EA stations and status of each stall and reporting issues. I have it installed on my phone in April before Lucid navigation and mobile app improved as of today. Lucid AGT didn’t provide those information until recently integrated EA info into their navigation system and on their mobile app. You can create and login account without giving your credit card information. I strictly use it for reference, in case Lucid server goes down for its mobile app, I won’t panic as I can plan with EA app as backup.

Lucid recommends 80% and to have it plugged into the charger when the car is not in use. I have the Autel Maxicharger wall charger and it is awesome with lots of options. Very nice app, long chord and you can program RFID cards to give to others in your house hold that or friends that have EV and need to charge when they come over.

View attachment 4380
Glad to hear you like this charger. I had Tesla chargers but switched them out when I got the Lucid. My first attempt was with the Clipper Creek 80, which is a beast and probably the best quality on the market. I didn't realize it would overheat my 60 amp circuit so I am going down to the Autel 50 Maxi. It's sitting on my garage floor waiting for my electrician. I'm bummed I will lose the 60 mph charging rate from the Clipper, but having the junction box heat up and potentially cause a fire obviously not sustainable... Clipper makes a lower amp charger, but I decided to try this Autel.

I did use the TeslaTap adapter and that worked well too. I ended up selling the Tesla charger with the car...

Glad to hear you like this charger. I had Tesla chargers but switched them out when I got the Lucid. My first attempt was with the Clipper Creek 80, which is a beast and probably the best quality on the market. I didn't realize it would overheat my 60 amp circuit so I am going down to the Autel 50 Maxi. It's sitting on my garage floor waiting for my electrician. I'm bummed I will lose the 60 mph charging rate from the Clipper, but having the junction box heat up and potentially cause a fire obviously not sustainable... Clipper makes a lower amp charger, but I decided to try this Autel.

I did use the TeslaTap adapter and that worked well too. I ended up selling the Tesla charger with the car...
I did the same thing with my Tesla wall charger and using the tap. I still have the setup and will put it up in the market soon. I was having connectivity issues from time to time. Sometimes I would notice that the charger is blinking red (communications error) and did not charge.

I am not sure, but maybe the Clipper Creek 80 you would need at rated output from your electrical junction of over 70 amps to achieve the 64 amp charging. And if the charger does not down the amp it's pulling due to that, it would make the wires extremely hot.

I did the same thing with my Tesla wall charger and using the tap. I still have the setup and will put it up in the market soon. I was having connectivity issues from time to time. Sometimes I would notice that the charger is blinking red (communications error) and did not charge.

I am not sure, but maybe the Clipper Creek 80 you would need at rated output from your electrical junction of over 70 amps to achieve the 64 amp charging. And if the charger does not down the amp it's pulling due to that, it would make the wires extremely hot.
Yes, you are correct. The CC 80 needs an 80 amp breaker and wire capable of 64 amp draw. My circuit was 60 amps and couldn't be upgraded easily so I'm going down on the charger... Much less expensive than pulling new wire.

My approach is utterly random, but do plan on keeping the car past the battery warranty. The one thing I don't do is DCFC to a very high SOC then leave the car parked after a short drive. I think L2 charging as much as possible as opposed to DCFC is better though simply because the BMS doesn't have to work as hard, and less heat = less battery wear over time. But if you need it charged faster then just DCFC, the car can handle it. I just got solar installed also so I'm deliberately using the home L2 charger as much as possible because I want to see whether my solar system is in fact meeting my kW needs predicted by the solar company.

If I was 10 years younger I would definitely get solar. But at age 74 I don't think it works out for me monetarily. Not sure whether I will even be in my house by the time I will be my low 80s.

Keep it charged to 80%. Running the car down to 20% does nothing useful.
I disagree. Normally, that is how I would charge any other EV, but because of the amount of loss due to cooling fans, I find it much better to charge this car once a week (or as needed) and run it down to somewhere between 20-30% before charging again. The range is there to handle this.

If I was 10 years younger I would definitely get solar. But at age 74 I don't think it works out for me monetarily. Not sure whether I will even be in my house by the time I will be my low 80s.
@WildRide47 : Pinged you on the conversations.

I live in PDX (sorta) and trying to get other Lucid owners together for a local (Oregon, PDX, 'Couv, Camas, ... ) chapter.

Hope to hear from you.

@WildRide47 : Pinged you on the conversations.

I live in PDX (sorta) and trying to get other Lucid owners together for a local (Oregon, PDX, 'Couv, Camas, ... ) chapter.

Hope to hear from you.
Never formed a chapter. How do you go about it. I know another AGT owner who lives in Hillsdale Oregon

Never formed a chapter. How do you go about it. I know another AGT owner who lives in Hillsdale Oregon
@WildRide47 We can. Or I will. We can do FB or Whatsapp.

Let's continue the thread here, so we don't hijack OP's post. :)

See you there.

Since we get free charging for 2-3 years, does it even make sense to charge at home?

You’re missing out on the full experience of EV ownership, if you don’t have some kind of home charging set up right now.

Imagine NEVER having to make time during your weekly routine to go to a “gas station” just to fill up your car. Instead, you plug it in every night before going to bed and wake up the next morning with a “full tank”.

An added bonus is charging up your car with electricity you bought from your local utility, that you’d earlier in the day over-generated through your solar system and sold to them albeit at a lower rate, which you’re now using to refill your car.

Absolutely no right answer to this one. But for me, charging at home is one of the top reasons to have an EV in the first place. Just plug it in and forget about it. I use charging networks about three times a year. Otherwise, I simply never think about my state of charge, because there's always enough juice in my car for wherever I have to go that day.

And I don't have to touch any public yucky bits that other people are manhandling all day

Another reason to load up on solar. Cost for me charge is next to zero.

I think you do have an account that Lucid set up for you. When I use an EA charger, I get a receipt texted to me on my cell phone, and I never signed up with EA myself or gave them my cell phone number.

I’m on the fence about going out of my way to charge at EA. I just got a PGE bill for $1,000, so I’m now heavily invested in getting solar. I’m also going to make a few changes that will help bring my bill down, but I do not want to change my life style, which is why I’ll invest in solar. I really like to run my AC, which PGE considers a crime against humanity. Lol

I’ll probably charge at EA once a week if I’m in the area of a charger. After my panels are installed I probably won’t.

Since I am retired and the EA charging station is 1 mile away. I use the fast charging exclusively, taking advantage of the first free 3 years

I go when it is in the low 20% range. Put the 150KW charger in, walk over to the Target store, look at birthday cards and roam around and come back 30 minutes later with my charge set at 82%. I do this about every 10 days.

I plan on replacing my Lucid(hopefully with another one) before the 4 year warranty runs out, so I am not concerned with longevity of the battery.
Is it better for the battery to charge at 150kw rather than 350?

If you care about the battery, you will never use a DCFC...but generally speaking yes, the faster you charge the worse it is for the battery because of heat.

If you haven't seen this test, you should read it to answer your question. Charging at 350kw only gains you about 6 min. of time over a 150kw, and only below 50kwh charge. If 6 min. means that much to you then go ahead. But as others have noted, you risk heat damage to the battery and increased cooling energy to keep the battery from overheating. Remember, Heat Kills!

If you haven't seen this test, you should read it to answer your question. Charging at 350kw only gains you about 6 min. of time over a 150kw, and only below 50kwh charge. If 6 min. means that much to you then go ahead. But as others have noted, you risk heat damage to the battery and increased cooling energy to keep the battery from overheating. Remember, Heat Kills!

I read that article before but I missed this paragraph at the end of the article:

"One last thing to note. I spoke to lucid engineers while I was recording this session, and they gave me some exclusive information. They are planning an OTA software update later in 2022 that will improve the Air's charging curve, and allow the vehicle to hold a higher charging rate to a higher state of charge. We'll report on that once the update is released and will also repeat these charging tests to see how much of a difference it makes."

So now I'm wondering if this OTA has occurred or is it part of the upcoming 2.0 update?? Also, I'm curious if this coming update will increase or decrease the potential damage to the battery of fast charging??

I read that article before but I missed this paragraph at the end of the article:

"One last thing to note. I spoke to lucid engineers while I was recording this session, and they gave me some exclusive information. They are planning an OTA software update later in 2022 that will improve the Air's charging curve, and allow the vehicle to hold a higher charging rate to a higher state of charge. We'll report on that once the update is released and will also repeat these charging tests to see how much of a difference it makes."

So now I'm wondering if this OTA has occurred or is it part of the upcoming 2.0 update?? Also, I'm curious if this coming update will increase or decrease the potential damage to the battery of fast charging??
Good question, my thoughts as well. I will soon be getting my GT delivered and was wondering if the car will have this software update.

Excellent read, thanks for the info. I’m a first time EV diner, so I’m going through the learning curve.

Back