Home Charging efficiency

Second charge at home. This one overnight. for the actual efficiency,

charge 1: 17.49 kWh delivered 43 miles driven = 2.46 miles /kWh
charge 2: 32.18 kWh delivered, 80 miles driven = 2.49 miles /kwh
Life of car = 123 miles / 49.67 kWh delivered = 2.47 miles per kWh

Could not see the actual kWh received. Can calculate using battery percentage. Battery was at 56% to begin charge 2 , ended at 80% = 24% x 112 kWh battery = 26.88 kWh received

Charge 2: 5.3 kWh “extra“ kWh delivered but not received = 16.5% loss seems very high
Charge 1 loss, using the more generous numbers was 1.49 extra = 8.5% loss.

This is a TON of vampire drain on this second charge.. More than just heat loss during charging.

in calculating driving range using kWh received over the two charges.
charge 1: 16 kWh
charge 2: 26,88 kWh
tofal = 42.88 kWh consumed to drive 123 miles = 2.86 miles per kWh x 112 battery = 321 estimated real range
321 miles real range / 516 EPA = 62% of EPA range.

I’m hoping this gets better over time. Again, I am probably driving more spirited than I will on trips. With this number, it means I will have to stop every 200 miles or so to recharge. Was I expecting this number? No. I was hoping for something higher, but is the reason why I have repeatedly said, I need a car with 500 miles / 1000 km range to use as a trip car. If I purchased a car with 300 miles range = 186 miles of real life range and in going from 20-80% between charges means I would be stopping every 112 miles.
If on a trip you average 75 miles/hour, even if you have to stop at 200 miles to recharge, that's over 2 1/2 hours of steady driving. Reality for me is that's about right for a break anyway and assuming you can find a 150Kw charger, you can add 100 miles in around 15-20 minutes. Using your estimate of 321 miles range 250-300 miles should be doable and now you are up to somewhere between 3 and 4 hours of steady driving at 75 mph. Any doctor will tell you its a good idea to stop and walk around for a while and stretch your legs well before 4 hours of continuous sitting. I'm sure young people can go much more than 4 hours but why???

If on a trip you average 75 miles/hour, even if you have to stop at 200 miles to recharge, that's over 2 1/2 hours of steady driving. Reality for me is that's about right for a break anyway and assuming you can find a 150Kw charger, you can add 100 miles in around 15-20 minutes. Using your estimate of 321 miles range 250-300 miles should be doable and now you are up to somewhere between 3 and 4 hours of steady driving at 75 mph. Any doctor will tell you its a good idea to stop and walk around for a while and stretch your legs well before 4 hours of continuous sitting. I'm sure young people can go much more than 4 hours but why???
Only reason for me is that if the kids are passed out during a scheduled stop, most parents will keep driving to keep the silence for as long as possible. 🤣

Question: will a home charger, say chargepoint flex, get faster/better charging than the Lucid charger both on a 40amp 240v 14-50 NEMA plug?
I am trying to decide if a home charger is needed. On the same voltage is a L2 home charger better than the small lucid charger?

Question: will a home charger, say chargepoint flex, get faster/better charging than the Lucid charger both on a 40amp 240v 14-50 NEMA plug?
I am trying to decide if a home charger is needed. On the same voltage is a L2 home charger better than the small lucid charger?
It should be the same because the max the Lucid charger can pull is 40amp

It should be the same because the max the Lucid charger can pull is 40amp
Ok, that answers it. I guess the only advantage is the tracking, scheduled charging, etc…

Ok, that answers it. I guess the only advantage is the tracking, scheduled charging, etc…
It is also nice to have a backup. I keep the mobile unit in the car for trips and have the ChargePoint for daily use. If anything happens to the ChargePoint, then I am not without a home charging option since I have the mobile unit In the car.

I’m using my Tesla Gen 3 charger at home and getting 11 kW and 42-44 mi/hr charge rate. In the process of selling my Tesla and selling the charger with it. Just ordered the ClipperCreek HCS-80 which can supply 64 Amps hardwired. They say it can deliver up to 19 kW with an adequate Amp circuit. We’ll see in a week or so.

I’m using my Tesla Gen 3 charger at home and getting 11 kW and 42-44 mi/hr charge rate. In the process of selling my Tesla and selling the charger with it. Just ordered the ClipperCreek HCS-80 which can supply 64 Amps hardwired. They say it can deliver up to 19 kW with an adequate Amp circuit. We’ll see in a week or so.
Can't go wrong with Clipper Creek's sturdy units. I had the HCS-40 for some years before moving to Tesla, and now we're back again to J1172 for our next EV.

Can't go wrong with Clipper Creek's sturdy units. I had the HCS-40 for some years before moving to Tesla, and now we're back again to J1172 for our next EV.
Good to know, thanks.

I believe it is set up that way so someone cannot walk up to the Air and unplug it while you are not there.
People shouldn't be able to unplug while the car is charging but the lock should be released when charging is completed so someone else can unplug and use the charger. It's not uncommon to have this as I had the option to do this in my previous Audi. You could tell it to unlock the port once charge is completed. Lucid should implement something similar.

Just had the HCS 80 installed on my existing 60 Amp circuit. So far working great!

14 kW and 1 mi/min rate

Just had the HCS 80 installed on my existing 60 Amp circuit. So far working great!

14 kW and 1 mi/min rate
A04B91EB-F7FA-4417-B1C9-3C1017BEF67E.png

Back