HA post 2.1.10

Genghis

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
AGT
I drove from Sherman Oaks to San Diego last night (~3 hrs) on mostly highways. I drove 90% of the trip using HA post the 2.1.10 update to see if there were any significant noticeable changes. This was my experience:

1. The car was great in lane centering with slight bias to the right side of the lane in straight stretches and slight curves where I was able to just let the car drive with only keeping my left hand rested on the bottom left of the steering wheel to prevent the hand alert warnings coming on. This worked beautifully, and I was fortunate most of the drive was this way.

2. Any time there were big sweeping curves or sharp curves, there was definitely some major ping pong action with the car crossing lanes a few times. However, after I got a feel of how HA deals with those situations, I was able to use the lane biasing update to do slight manual adjustments in those situations to reduce the ping ponging and lane drifts as the car is no longer aggressive in resisting these slight movements. This was a nice update but like other's mentioned, I experienced a lot more of the ping pong action in these situations than before the updates. So this piece of it was a win and a loss.

3. The deceleration when traffic slows is much smoother and feels natural. This is a big win for me as I didn't like how it was before the updates.

4. Lane changing while in HA is so much better as the car no longer fights against you! With just lane warnings on, you just get the warning on the dash and light wheel vibration as soon as you start crossing the lane. This is a great fix. It does take a a few seconds to switch back from override to HA but totally fine.

Overall, I think the updates were good for HA! It still needs work on sweeping and sharp curves to reduce the ping ponging and lane drifts, and areas where lane markers deviate like construction areas and lane merge / exit where it doesn't know exactly what it wants to do.

Would love to hear others' experience or how they deal with the situations I described above if they use HA.

I drove from Sherman Oaks to San Diego last night (~3 hrs) on mostly highways. I drove 90% of the trip using HA post the 2.1.10 update to see if there were any significant noticeable changes. This was my experience:

1. The car was great in lane centering with slight bias to the right side of the lane in straight stretches and slight curves where I was able to just let the car drive with only keeping my left hand rested on the bottom left of the steering wheel to prevent the hand alert warnings coming on. This worked beautifully, and I was fortunate most of the drive was this way.

2. Any time there were big sweeping curves or sharp curves, there was definitely some major ping pong action with the car crossing lanes a few times. However, after I got a feel of how HA deals with those situations, I was able to use the lane biasing update to do slight manual adjustments in those situations to reduce the ping ponging and lane drifts as the car is no longer aggressive in resisting these slight movements. This was a nice update but like other's mentioned, I experienced a lot more of the ping pong action in these situations than before the updates. So this piece of it was a win and a loss.

3. The deceleration when traffic slows is much smoother and feels natural. This is a big win for me as I didn't like how it was before the updates.

4. Lane changing while in HA is so much better as the car no longer fights against you! With just lane warnings on, you just get the warning on the dash and light wheel vibration as soon as you start crossing the lane. This is a great fix. It does take a a few seconds to switch back from override to HA but totally fine.

Overall, I think the updates were good for HA! It still needs work on sweeping and sharp curves to reduce the ping ponging and lane drifts, and areas where lane markers deviate like construction areas and lane merge / exit where it doesn't know exactly what it wants to do.

Would love to hear others' experience or how they deal with the situations I described above if they use HA.
Do you not use turn signals? The car never faught me before when I wanted to make a lane change. So long as I turned on my turn signal first.

You shouldn't get any warnings changing lanes if you signal.

I don't know. Before, I just flicked the signal versus the the full click and thought that it constantly resisted when I was moving over.

I have to take full control of the wheel now on corners that used to perform perfectly. I like where they are trying to go, but HA now has significant flaws that I hope get fixed soon. The pinging around in the lane is the largest of the issues.

You shouldn't get any warnings changing lanes if you signal.
Yup, you guys are right. I tested on the drive back yesterday. If you turn on the signal to the full click, no warnings during the lane change. However; most of the time the lane change is gradual so it doesn't reset the turn signal after completing the change, and I had to manually turn it off each time. I think this is the reason why I got in the habit of just flicking the signal for lane changing. Anyhoo, flicking or full click, no resistance so it works for me.

I have to take full control of the wheel now on corners that used to perform perfectly. I like where they are trying to go, but HA now has significant flaws that I hope get fixed soon. The pinging around in the lane is the largest of the issues.
This reflects my experience. On curvy roads, HA is almost useless now.

It’s gotten awkward to simultaneously use HA with the lane biasing. You have to “thread the needle” of tension - between “hands on the wheel” nags and being pulled to the edge of your lane. Not a great implementation - though, I know this take is an echo.

It’s gotten awkward to simultaneously use HA with the lane biasing. You have to “thread the needle” of tension - between “hands on the wheel” nags and being pulled to the edge of your lane. Not a great implementation - though, I know this take is an echo.
I've resorted to using adaptive cruise only. Current DDP is not usable, and at times dangerous as it will also misread lines in the freeway. Had this happen on Monday, and had to take immediate control as the vehicle was happily straddling two lanes!!! It seems like DDP gets confused at times where lane markings have been "erased" and lanes shifted with new markings.

I had a 400 mile drive (round trip) earlier this week... I have used HA on this drive many times in the past, but this was the first drive with 2.1.10

The good news: much smoother deceleration when approaching another vehicle. doesn't panic the passenger anymore :oops:

The BAD news, is that the car "hunts" or "ping pongs" in the lane, sometimes going over the line, on straight and curved roads... I finally gave up fighting the HA and went to Adaptive Cruise only... hope they fix this in the next update...

Rick

The BAD news, is that the car "hunts" or "ping pongs" in the lane, sometimes going over the line, on straight and curved roads... I finally gave up fighting the HA and went to Adaptive Cruise only... hope they fix this in the next update...
This happens because of the new “center line adjustment” feature that lets you move within the lane briefly before it recenters. You can adjust your hand on the wheel to keep it from happening, or just do the toggle every 15 seconds or so, but I agree it’s annoying. I assume they’ll fix it.

This happens because of the new “center line adjustment” feature that lets you move within the lane briefly before it recenters. You can adjust your hand on the wheel to keep it from happening, or just do the toggle every 15 seconds or so, but I agree it’s annoying. I assume they’ll fix it.
certainly hope the do in the next update (waiting patiently)... toggle every 15 seconds is kind of useless. makes more sense to kill HA and just use Adaptive Cruise...

I find driving more relaxing without HA as presently configured. It does not drive as I do, being fractionally delayed in it's responding, leaving me having to be more vigilant than just manually driving. It produces more anxiety just having to be sure it corrected it's delayed centering, for example. I also find the car demands two hands on when at 2 and 10 positions, to avoid the nag, and I haven't had to do that since drivers education and my first driver's test for the state examiner. That flat steering wheel bottom calls out for one handed driving on that flat portion. (And why can't they adjust something so the car knows my hand is STILL on the wheel) Long story short I only use HA if I want to do something stupid like use my phone. Those GMC adds where the drivers are playing paddycake on tv are making me envious.!!! With all these sensors and all the money we pay for this car this should have been addressed long ago.

And on a slightly different subject, the recent brouhaha about Peter Rawlinson's salary makes me wish I never bought the car and could return it even though I absolutely love it. With the stock price hanging around the delisting level I don't understand how the upper execs can take over 350 million for an annual income. It's lucid not Google wake up! The money is not going to the right places for company survival

I find driving more relaxing without HA as presently configured. It does not drive as I do, being fractionally delayed in it's responding, leaving me having to be more vigilant than just manually driving. It produces more anxiety just having to be sure it corrected it's delayed centering, for example. I also find the car demands two hands on when at 2 and 10 positions, to avoid the nag, and I haven't had to do that since drivers education and my first driver's test for the state examiner. That flat steering wheel bottom calls out for one handed driving on that flat portion. (And why can't they adjust something so the car knows my hand is STILL on the wheel) Long story short I only use HA if I want to do something stupid like use my phone. Those GMC adds where the drivers are playing paddycake on tv are making me envious.!!! With all these sensors and all the money we pay for this car this should have been addressed long ago.

And on a slightly different subject, the recent brouhaha about Peter Rawlinson's salary makes me wish I never bought the car and could return it even though I absolutely love it. With the stock price hanging around the delisting level I don't understand how the upper execs can take over 350 million for an annual income. It's lucid not Google wake up! The money is not going to the right places for company survival
It's posts like this that really annoy me.

RE: HA. There are so many posts about this on the forum. The wheel is torque sensitive, not pressure sensitive, so keeping your hands at 10 and 2 does nothing, other than the weight of your hands likely providing some torque. See here for how I and a number of others make HA work:
Post in thread '2.1.10 OTA Update (7/24/23)' https://lucidowners.com/threads/2-1-10-ota-update-7-24-23.6281/post-148932

RE: PR's compensation. If you had read any of the articles, or looked at the threads on this forum you'd know Lucid didn't pay him that much. His salary was $575k. The rest came from stock options based on predetermined factors. No need to throw a hissy fit about wishing you had never bought the car...

So you wish you hadn’t bought the car because the CCIV contract when converting to LCID already had Rawlinson awarded shares and vesting at certain intervals based partly on production deadlines? My god that does sound awful, I’d better list my GT on CarMax ASAP. I mean yeah it’s the best car I’ve ever owned but screw that, Elon tweeted we should be wary of Peter’s compensation package so you can’t argue with that!

Everything you said is factually incorrect.

It's posts like this that really annoy me.

RE: HA. There are so many posts about this on the forum. The wheel is torque sensitive, not pressure sensitive, so keeping your hands at 10 and 2 does nothing, other than the weight of your hands likely providing some torque. See here for how I and a number of others make HA work:
Post in thread '2.1.10 OTA Update (7/24/23)' https://lucidowners.com/threads/2-1-10-ota-update-7-24-23.6281/post-148932

RE: PR's compensation. If you had read any of the articles, or looked at the threads on this forum you'd know Lucid didn't pay him that much. His salary was $575k. The rest came from stock options based on predetermined factors. No need to throw a hissy fit about wishing you had never bought the car...
I am fully aware of all of the above, including the stock options part. The articles compare the stock options total packages of many named corporate entities. It is out of line according to the pros, especially for a struggling startup. Perhaps re-read the articles.The annual compensation package is souring public admiration of the company according to many of the financial people I have had direct communication from. . Sorry but mine also.

And I do believe you are wrong about not understanding that the dash camera is what checks for hands on wheel. Yes The nag is easily interrupted with as slight user issued jerk of the wheel, but where you place your hand(s) determines the issuance of the nag in the first place. The line of sight for the camera is too high unless you adjust the wheel to it's full up position. This has been noted previously by other users as well. Why not test that yourself.. With 12k of use, trust that touching the wheel is not what does it... wish it was, where and how you located your hands is what is key. So sorry to have annoyed you but your reaction doesn't change the facts. To abide by forum rules there will be no further personalizing responses from me. I believe we are allowed to state our opinions without being castigated for it should another person disagree . No need to attack folks who feel differently than you do. "Just stick to the facts m'amm/sir" (Re Dick Tracy character) and we will be able to share information and correct misinformation.

I am fully aware of all of the above, including the stock options part. The articles compare the stock options total packages of many named corporate entities. It is out of line according to the pros, especially for a struggling startup. Perhaps re-read the articles.The annual compensation package is souring public admiration of the company according to many of the financial people I have had direct communication from. . Sorry but mine also.

What do you think of Elon’s 5.8 billion stock awarded in 2018?

According to Inside EVs “In March 2021, Lucid's Board allowed Rawlinson to receive 13.8 million time-based stock unitsand 16 million performance-based ones that would vest over four years. The vesting period would commence towards the end of 2021, meaning that Rawlinson would begin to see them in his 2022 salary.”. This was predetermined contractually based vesting, and that big number is based on 2022 value, not the value right now.

I’m just confused what the problem is here, as giving CEO/CTO stock awards before the company produced its first vehicle that vested over time is not abnormal nor shocking or reason for outrage. If that’s not an incentive to perform, well I don’t know what is. And given the current share values I’d say his “compensation” will take a massive hit when we get the 2023 numbers and then there will be misinformed articles on that also. What would make you happy and willing to keep the car? Rawlinson earning zero? $500k? It’s up to you.

It’s just weird to me that there’s all this outrage about a compensation package (NOT a paycheck, does anyone understand the difference?) that was pre-determined in 2021 prior to production based on estimated valuations at that time. It’s not Rawlinson’s fault the market went hype crazy in 2022 and pumped the shares to $60 before interest rates got raised sky high to keep inflation in check. The share value of CCIV in when his award was pre-determined in March 2022 was $10.45. It’s like nobody wants to use easily available information to educate themselves about this or even think about it in an even handed way at all and just stomp their feet saying they get to pretend we should use today’s stock value to decide what LCID/CCIV should have put into their contract in March 2021. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Back