Ground Clearance - Losing Out on Dream Car - Help!

fisheral

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
2024 Lucid Air Touring
Referral Code
6K1F9IPW
The Lucid Air has been my dream car for a long time. The price is finally right, but I can’t pull the trigger because of one issue: ground clearance. I have a cabin in the Poconos that I frequent regularly. Unfortunately, it has a relatively steep driveway.

A 2016 Golf R and 2021 Model 3 we've owned have been able to make it in and out without a problem, but I can't find any information on their approach angles. I know that the Air has an approach angle of 11 degrees. Does anyone know how to find the approach angles for these other 2 cars?

Unfortunately it is 2 hours from the nearest Lucid studio, so there's no chance of getting a test drive all the way there and hence no way to do an actual test of clearance.

I just can't risk entering into a lease and not being able to use my primary car at my cabin. It's tough knowing this journey appears to have ended on a maybe.

Thanks for your help.

The Lucid Air has been my dream car for a long time. The price is finally right, but I can’t pull the trigger because of one issue: ground clearance. I have a cabin in the Poconos that I frequent regularly. Unfortunately, it has a relatively steep driveway.

A 2016 Golf R and 2021 Model 3 we've owned have been able to make it in and out without a problem, but I can't find any information on their approach angles. I know that the Air has an approach angle of 11 degrees. Does anyone know how to find the approach angles for these other 2 cars?

Unfortunately it is 2 hours from the nearest Lucid studio, so there's no chance of getting a test drive all the way there and hence no way to do an actual test of clearance.

I just can't risk entering into a lease and not being able to use my primary car at my cabin. It's tough knowing this journey appears to have ended on a maybe.

Thanks for your help.
Well, it isn’t the same as your 2016, but the MK8 R has an approach angle of 13.3 degrees. I suspect that the Air would be able to make it over, although it would be extremely tight. Could you ask if the studio could bring the test drive car over to your house instead of you going there yourself?

Well, it isn’t the same as your 2016, but the MK8 R has an approach angle of 13.3 degrees. I suspect that the Air would be able to make it over, although it would be extremely tight. Could you ask if the studio could bring the test drive car over to your house instead of you going there yourself?
I didn't ask if they would drive it out there, but when I asked if they would deliver the car to my house (much closer) they declined. So I don't see much hope there. I've discussed my clearance concerns with my sales advisor and he's been very helpful but never mentioned that as a possibility.

I didn't ask if they would drive it out there, but when I asked if they would deliver the car to my house (much closer) they declined. So I don't see much hope there. I've discussed my clearance concerns with my sales advisor and he's been very helpful but never mentioned that as a possibility.
Perhaps some of our PA members could help you out here with their own car... ask in this group, maybe? Some PA members include @RM-S8 , @Babyrocko1908 , etc.

Also, which studio did you ask?

I had the same problem

But I was lucky that my car can get into my garage

Use the measurement app - level function in IPhone

Measure what’s your degree angel in your cabin

Then replicate the same when you get the demo car

I forgot what’s the maximum degree of steep but I will try to check for you today using the same app

You place the phone in the middle of the steep to get accurate measure

I found a video of the driveway if that helps!

I had the same problem

But I was lucky that my car can get into my garage

Use the measurement app - level function in IPhone

Measure what’s your degree angel in your cabin

Then replicate the same when you get the demo car

I forgot what’s the maximum degree of steep but I will try to check for you today using the same app

You place the phone in the middle of the steep to get accurate measure
Just had it measured and it is roughly 11 degrees but tough to tell exactly because it's gravel.

I would first suggest checking the ground clearance of each vehicle, then approach and departure angles. The approach angle mainly comes into play going from level ground to a slope. The ground clearance will tell you if you will belly out or not and the departure angle will tell you if the ass will scrape on the level ground going up a slope.

Thanks for your help.
Would something like this help you approach your driveway better?

Also, I'm confident that if you ask around the forum enough, you'll find at least one Lucid owner who'd be willing to make the drive with you to experiment.

Don't give up on the car cos of this..! It's an amazing ride

I found a video of the driveway if that helps!

This will NOT be an issue for a Lucid Air...! I'm pretty sure you'll be fine..if another sedan made it ..so will the air .

So the owner's manual shows the following dimensions. Is it really true that the ground clearance is 5.6 inches? Everywhere I've looked including the Lucid spec sheet, it says ground clearance is 4.9 inches.

Approach Angle 11°
Departure Angle 14°
Minimum Ground Clearance between axles 5.6 in (142 mm)L
Minimum Ground Clearance under front axle 5.6 in (142 mm)
Minimum Ground Clearance under rear axle 6.6 in (168 mm)

Not sure if this will help but see attached - my 2022 GT with 19s

Attachments

• IMG_8035.webp
    IMG_8035.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
Not sure if this will help but see attached - my 2022 GT with 19s
Holy crap that aerodynamic piece is low.

Here are some photos.
IMG_3928.webp

Attachments

• 74438434770__C0F9CE33-2CD7-43E3-97B0-3439A716A305.webp
    74438434770__C0F9CE33-2CD7-43E3-97B0-3439A716A305.webp
    3.6 MB · Views: 70
The aero piece is a combination of plastic and rubber. Others on the forum can speak with more authority as to its durability when hit. At any rate it falls within the plane that runs between tire contact point and the bottom of the car's nose.

this looks perfectly doable and i've watched the video you posted above. if the steepest part was at 00:32s mark, i'm like 99% sure that you'll be fine. I live in the Bay Area with a lot of hills and the only time i scrapped the bottom was at Mt. Tam when i was exiting an off road onto the main street. the other times when i scrapped the bottom were completely my fault going 10mph+.

this looks perfectly doable and i've watched the video you posted above. if the steepest part was at 00:32s mark, i'm like 99% sure that you'll be fine. I live in the Bay Area with a lot of hills and the only time i scrapped the bottom was at Mt. Tam when i was exiting an off road onto the main street. the other times when i scrapped the bottom were completely my fault going 10mph+.
Thank you. I think I've worked up the courage to do it.

Attachments

• 20240713_100431.webp
    20240713_100431.webp
    612.2 KB · Views: 109
Would that be considered normal wear and tear on a lease return? 😂

Back