Passive locking- Help with testing requested

I disagree. I can be standing at the driver's door with the fob in my hand and it still take 15-30 seconds to recognize.

I have the same issues as OP. Fob, mobile key, both....the car decides if and when it wants to open on it's own.
The usual suspects apply: swap battery, rub the battery down with 70%-99% IPA to remove any bitterant, and then see if you still have issues.

Pressing the handle in always works for me, but I did have service recently replace one of my security nodes (on the passenger side) as it was throwing intermittent errors when they ran diagnostics. P.S. 'security node' is the right name for what everyone here keeps calling 'antenna'

I experienced a different but similar problem this weekend. I was helping a friend with his car while my Lucid was parked nearby. My car kept unlocking and relocking as I moved around nearby, which is normal and expected behavior. But as it was annoying us, I went into settings and disabled passive unlock. And it continued to do the same thing, unlocking as I got to within 8-10 feet, and relocking as I moved around nearby. Only when I moved far away (went into the house) and came back out did it stop doing passive unlock.

This video explains my frustration. I exited my house into the garage...door is located by the front right bumper. I had just replaced the battery the day before. My phone's BT was on. From the time I open the door to the garage, I am no more than 6 feet from the car. It takes maybe, 5-10 seconds to get to the driver's side door. It wasn't unlocking so I started recording. By the time I double-clicked the remote, I was around the car for at least 30 seconds.....no recognition by the car.

This video explains my frustration. I exited my house into the garage...door is located by the front right bumper. I had just replaced the battery the day before. My phone's BT was on. From the time I open the door to the garage, I am no more than 6 feet from the car. It takes maybe, 5-10 seconds to get to the driver's side door. It wasn't unlocking so I started recording. By the time I double-clicked the remote, I was around the car for at least 30 seconds.....no recognition by the car.

Pretty similar to my experience with mobile key.

Sorry for the extra questions. But are you only using the fob and not mobile key? I didn't have time to delete the mobile key so I don't have a comparison to the fob only yet.

I know some people here have said that if you have mobile key on the app and a fob, it can confuse the car

Pretty similar to my experience with mobile key.

Sorry for the extra questions. But are you only using the fob and not mobile key? I didn't have time to delete the mobile key so I don't have a comparison to the fob only yet.

I know some people here have said that if you have mobile key on the app and a fob, it can confuse the car
I typically have both on. But there have been times when I don't have the fob.....or I forget to put the BT on....and the car is still very finnicky.

I typically have both on. But there have been times when I don't have the fob.....or I forget to put the BT on....and the car is still very finnicky.
Try sticking with one for a few days instead of alternating with both.

Yeah, that would annoy the hell out of me too. Have you ensured you have passive unlock on? Have you ensured that the fob and mobile key are linked to your profile? (A fob can be linked to the car but not a profile, and I'm wondering if that makes a differenceI

Wait, I have one more theory!

How close is your fob or phone to your car in general? One of the new features from a few updates ago was that if your car locks and unlocks a certain number of times in a row (5? 10? I can't recall) it will turn off passive unlock until you either hit the door handle or the keyfob button, so as not to keep dancing for you when you're clearly not getting in. I wonder if it was getting locked/unlocked by the fob or your phone as you walked around the house and then that happens?

Wait, I have one more theory!

How close is your fob or phone to your car in general? One of the new features from a few updates ago was that if your car locks and unlocks a certain number of times in a row (5? 10? I can't recall) it will turn off passive unlock until you either hit the door handle or the keyfob button, so as not to keep dancing for you when you're clearly not getting in. I wonder if it was getting locked/unlocked by the fob or your phone as you walked around the house and then that happens?
I'll double check the PROFILE questions above later.

But to this question....my home office is probably 50 feet away....through a minimum of 4 walls. My phone is with me at all times in my office. I will occasionally turn off my BT when I am working in or around the car so as not o continuously awaken it.

The FOB is kept inside as well.....though not in my office. I'll try keeping the FOB in my office from now on so there's no chance of the unwanted unlock/lock action.

I'll double check the PROFILE questions above later.

But to this question....my home office is probably 50 feet away....through a minimum of 4 walls. My phone is with me at all times in my office. I will occasionally turn off my BT when I am working in or around the car so as not o continuously awaken it.

The FOB is kept inside as well.....though not in my office. I'll try keeping the FOB in my office from now on so there's no chance of the unwanted unlock/lock action.
I'm just spitballing. Curious to know if any of that helps.

Yeah, that would annoy the hell out of me too. Have you ensured you have passive unlock on? Have you ensured that the fob and mobile key are linked to your profile? (A fob can be linked to the car but not a profile, and I'm wondering if that makes a differenceI
@Thinjake did you confirm that passive unlock is on?

Yes I did. I also confirmed that the fob and mobile key were linked to my profile.
Obviously I'm no expert and this does not appear to be an exact science. But, I think I said earlier, if you have both the fob and mobile key set up, reportedly that can confuse the car. So maybe disable the mobile key and try just the fob or vice versa

In my experience, they are both better individually now than they were before but still nowhere near perfect

Obviously I'm no expert and this does not appear to be an exact science. But, I think I said earlier, if you have both the fob and mobile key set up, reportedly that can confuse the car. So maybe disable the mobile key and try just the fob or vice versa

In my experience, they are both better individually now than they were before but still nowhere near perfect
Can you disable the mobile key but keep the phone connected for carplay?

Hopefully nobody is still having issues with the passive locking the way I am. I have posted about this before and received multiple suggestions but it still happens even after multiple service appointments (mobile and at the service center). The antenna(e) have been replaced. Batteries in the fob are fresh. I'm using the fob because it's more consistent than the mobile key (yeah, it's android). Here is the recurring scenario: I stop the car, put it in park, and get out to go into a store/meeting/whatever. After walking 50-100 feet away, I try to remember to turn around to see if the car is locked. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. I'll stand and wait for a minute before pulling out my phone and locking it via the app (can't use the fob because the range stinks).

Today, it occurred to me that it might be that I am getting out and moving away from the car too quickly for the car to sense that the fob is exiting the car and moving away... or that the direction I am walking away from the car doesn't have good enough antenna signals to sense the fob moving away from the car (like the way the car often doesn't unlock when you approach the trunk from behind). So, I am asking for a little help/research from the forum members who are willing to indulge this request. If anyone is willing to help me test this theory, when you stop your car and get out, close your driver's door behind you AS YOU ARE WALKING AWAY so that you are already a couple of steps from the car when it closes fully. I've noticed the passive locking not working most frequently when I am walking directly away from the side of the car (perpendicular to the way the car is facing). But, it has also happened when I walk away to the rear of the car. I walk fast and am often in a little bit of a hurry to get into meetings etc.

Clearly I'm struggling trying to troubleshoot why this keeps happening and hoping other forum members can help test this on their own cars and see if it makes a difference in your passive locking functionality. Thank you in advance for those willing to test this out. If you can test this, please let me know if you experience a problem and also if you are using a fob or mobile key with which type of phone. Again, my theory is that the fob might be "asleep" when I get out and the antennae don't sense it leaving.
Does this still happen during the first few days after replacing the FOB battery? I used to need to change the battery every two weeks or so.

I experienced the same thing you are once the battery got low. I now keep spares in the glovebox. I then bought a Faraday Cage which has prevented the FOB from sending signals to the vehicle.

I know you said you changed the batteries but was curious if that alleviated the issue at all (even for a short period).

Does this still happen during the first few days after replacing the FOB battery? I used to need to change the battery every two weeks or so.

I experienced the same thing you are once the battery got low. I now keep spares in the glovebox. I then bought a Faraday Cage which has prevented the FOB from sending signals to the vehicle.

I know you said you changed the batteries but was curious if that alleviated the issue at all (even for a short period).
Most of my recent experience was using the mobile key. But I just switched to the fob to see if that makes a difference. I'll report back.

In general I don't think it had anything to do with the battery level of my fob previously. But I switched to the fob today, and so far no problems

Anecdotally, removing the mobile key has helped the car wake up early while only using the fob. It's been about a week now....still not perfect. Sometimes it will not wake up until I am literally standing at the door, but at least it doesn't make me wait 15-30 seconds.

I think I will try not using the fob now for a week and reinstalling the mobile key.

Anecdotally, removing the mobile key has helped the car wake up early while only using the fob. It's been about a week now....still not perfect. Sometimes it will not wake up until I am literally standing at the door, but at least it doesn't make me wait 15-30 seconds.

I think I will try not using the fob now for a week and reinstalling the mobile key.
It seems like your experience with this has pretty much mirrored mine. I went from mobile key to fob about a week ago also. And it's definitely better with locking and unlocking as it supposed to be. But I think you have an iPhone don't you? I was attributing my mobile key problems to the car not playing nicely with Android phones

Back