Ground Clearance - Losing Out on Dream Car - Help!

I just measured my 2023 Lucid Air Pure with 19" wheels. Using a stick, a tape measure and my eyeball, I calculated an approach angle of about 11°. So so I concur with your first statement. Using clip-art stolen from the web and my CAD program, I get: VW 15°, Tesla 23°. See attached.

Attachments

Yes, actually. It most likely would. It was for my also-low Mazda 3.
People usually treat their cars as their new born babies. The first scratch (a fall) hurts a lot, the second one a bit less, the third one... and so on.
The superficial scratches i have shown in my pic were unexpected and unavoidable. I don't even remember how I've got them. I refuse to stop on every questionable uphill, except crossing Delaware River, and measure the angle/clearance/speed of the approach.
But, that's just me. Usually, i recommend not to follow my style/mileage of driving.

I also have a steep driveway that without front axle lift, my McLaren would never clear.
I got one of these and it not only made my driveway possible but also easier on the car since I had the "double whammy" of a rolled curb and a 1.5" rise of my driveway.

Hope this helps.

People usually treat their cars as their new born babies. The first scratch (a fall) hurts a lot, the second one a bit less, the third one... and so on.
The superficial scratches i have shown in my pic were unexpected and unavoidable. I don't even remember how I've got them. I refuse to stop on every questionable uphill, except crossing Delaware River, and measure the angle/clearance/speed of the approach.
But, that's just me. Usually, i recommend not to follow my style/mileage of driving.
No, you're totally right. That piece of the car (the plastic shield) is intended to absorb scratches and damage and is intentionally a relatively cheap piece to replace on most cars.

This is what mine looked like in September of 2022 after the ~482nd time the airfoil had fallen off (this is post-airfoil replacement).

ca29c77f1d25b202d1736488c528021aebd6295d1a06e5c411ea8078f821c9ec.png

I asked about the cost to replace the plastic shield: the part is $60.98, and labor is "about $60." This could have changed since then, of course, but the point is that you shouldn't stress too much about scratching that part of the underbody. That's what it's there for. It is doing its job. It is purely cosmetic, and if you want, replace the part before you sell the car. :)

I also have a steep driveway that without front axle lift, my McLaren would never clear.
I got one of these and it not only made my driveway possible but also easier on the car since I had the "double whammy" of a rolled curb and a 1.5" rise of my driveway.

Hope this helps.

I go for walks in my neighborhood and there are a number of streets where the driveways have large curbs on them and many of the owners have installed these ramps (or ones like them).

I go for walks in my neighborhood and there are a number of streets where the driveways have large curbs on them and many of the owners have installed these ramps (or ones like them).
I wish they made them in a more "concrete color" grey but they really do work! Your car's suspension and front spoilers will thank you each time you drive up.

The Lucid Air is a fabulous vehicle and hopefully you can make it work. If not, may I humbly suggest patience and order a Gravity. I’m sure it’s ground clearance and angles will not be an issue.

Back