Gravity Bugs / Issues

Hmm. This seems to be THE core issue for Lucid with the Gravity. They don’t know the expansiveness of the critical issues. I am sure it’s frustrating for them. No company would purposely inflict damage to its brand.

I really hope and believe they will figure it out as the car is absolutely amazing. I still look forward to driving it every day. And, they need to address the issues before normal buyers just tune out.

I think the deeper market is for the Touring. But not if it has any of the issues present in the GGT. 😢
I don’t think the 15k difference for the touring would make a big enough difference considering the options they leave behind, easier to just rely on GT used market to get that price down.

What they really need is to support vehicle values through the offer of extended warranty, which will essentially be software support assuming all the RDU problems are ironed out first 4 years
 
I don’t think the 15k difference for the touring would make a big enough difference considering the options they leave behind, easier to just rely on GT used market to get that price down.

What they really need is to support vehicle values through the offer of extended warranty, which will essentially be software support assuming all the RDU problems are ironed out first 4 years
What they really need is for people to know Lucid exists. As much as the car will get better and it’s awesome, no one I meet has heard of the brand. Timothee won’t fix that. Not sure what will.
 
So after 3.3.5 install minus the fob update : walk up to drivers door. Drivers handle presents but not rear passenger handle. Get in car, hit brake and buckle up , steering and seat do not adjust to drive position. rear steering fault message , but car is ready to drive. Get out , walk away for less than a minute. On return all handles present, get in car everything operates as it should and away we go.
I’ve worked on complex control systems and this screams boot sequence issues to me.
 
I really hope and believe they will figure it out as the car is absolutely amazing. I still look forward to driving it every day.

That's part of what so frustrates me. We have other cars to drive, but every time I get in the Gravity it just whets my appetite further for driving it. The only other cars I've owned that fueled such a craving were my Audi R8s and our Air Dream Performance. At the same time, I deal with the constant worry of what's going to go wrong next -- with the software, which is annoying . . . or with the hardware, which is alarming. I'm hoping the newest Gravity, which does seem more nailed down thus far, will get me off this roller coaster of thrills and spills.
 
What they really need is for people to know Lucid exists. As much as the car will get better and it’s awesome, no one I meet has heard of the brand. Timothee won’t fix that. Not sure what will.
Advertisement. We need to see their commercials on football games, baseball playpffs/world series, hockey games, MLS games and NBA games. Expensive, no doubt, but that's where you are going to get a lot more faces to see the brand. Also on YouTube and other social media ads.

I know the feeling as I was just at a trunk (frunk) or Treat yesterday and so many people never heard of the brand, let alone either of the vehicles. They had no idea another brand existed for EVs other than Tesla and Rivian (to a lesser extent, but most knew of Rivian). So many people LOVED the Gravity and for the 3rd weekend in a row of show events with it (cars and coffee and Dirve Electric Alabama EV show) I've had people come up to me and say they had no interest in EVs but saw the Gravity and said this vehicle could change their mind, if they could afford it. I tell them about the upcoming mid size next year and it's at least on their radars now. Lucid has to get the word out, but we are all helping. Go to your local cars and coffee and other car shows and events! People want to see the car!
 
What they really need is for people to know Lucid exists. As much as the car will get better and it’s awesome, no one I meet has heard of the brand. Timothee won’t fix that. Not sure what will.
I am pretty good at advertising vehicles, will it be positive or negative will depend on which vehicle ends up in my garage in the next 2-4 weeks.

I tend to tinker a lot and pretty technical, and I don’t get stuck on just the manufacturer recommended stuff, for better or worse.
 
I am pretty good at advertising vehicles, will it be positive or negative will depend on which vehicle ends up in my garage in the next 2-4 weeks.

I tend to tinker a lot and pretty technical, and I don’t get stuck on just the manufacturer recommended stuff, for better or worse.
Yes, we all appreciate you single-handedly performing the advertising function for Lucid and other brands.

Thanks for your service.
 
When you get it back, please let us know what the service ticket says. Mine’s been in twice for the frunk issue but it still persists.
I’m having the same issue, but with an odd twist. When I open the frunk with either a physical button press on the key fob, or tapping open on one of the cockpit screens, I’ll hear the triple beep, the frunk will attempt to open — moving ever so slightly upward — then closes again, repeats the triple beep sound, and opens fully the second time. The twist here is that I don’t have to press or tap controls a second time. It makes the second (successful) attempt in quick succession after my initial button press. I know it’s not supposed to operate that way, so when confused folks in my party ask what’s going on, I just say it’s a safety feature 🤣

It’s on my list of things to have serviced whenever I get the call that my middle row seats have arrived for replacement.
 
I’m having the same issue, but with an odd twist. When I open the frunk with either a physical button press on the key fob, or tapping open on one of the cockpit screens, I’ll hear the triple beep, the frunk will attempt to open — moving ever so slightly upward — then closes again, repeats the triple beep sound, and opens fully the second time. The twist here is that I don’t have to press or tap controls a second time. It makes the second (successful) attempt in quick succession after my initial button press. I know it’s not supposed to operate that way, so when confused folks in my party ask what’s going on, I just say it’s a safety feature 🤣

It’s on my list of things to have serviced whenever I get the call that my middle row seats have arrived for replacement.
It’s your frunk latches. They either need alignment or replacement. We had this once with the GT; service fixed it and it never came back.
 
Well, another day, another issue (or two) with our Gravity.

We got in the car after dinner and noticed the first foot or so of the passenger door accent light was out. I thought I would do a reboot when I got home to see if that resolved the problem. It turned out I had to do the reboot anyway, because when I pulled into the garage and put the car in park, I got a red warning "PARK" light and an annoying bong alarm that wouldn't stop no matter what I did. The reboot terminated the warning (with no indication of its purpose ever given) but did not restore the accent light.

In short, it was a typical day with our Gravity: a wonderful driving experience darkened by a torture chamber of false warnings, software glitches, and feature malfunctions.

I'm now waiting to hear back from Lucid whether it's going to take yet another Service Center visit to resolve this lighting issue.

And I'm still waiting to hear from Lucid what they are going to do about the GPS system malfunctioning again. This car is on the verge of unseating a 1998 Corvette as the most chronically defective vehicle I have ever owned -- something I had not thought possible.

View attachment 33438View attachment 33439View attachment 33440
Yeah, I can confirm buggy lighting in my Dream Edition too. Occasionally, I’ll get in the car and only a small section of the trim lighting will be illuminated while other strips are dead. And sometimes that same strip will illuminate in one color whilst the balance of trim lighting illuminates in my chosen color (vibe). See pics.

Interestingly, a reboot doesn’t fix it for me. I must let the car sleep, then approach and enter again for all lights to function. Has only happened a few times, and is obviously nothing catastrophic, but still makes me roll my eyes in exasperation. Hope they keep the software updates coming, and that this issue is squashed in one of them.

IMG_0038.webp


IMG_0036.webp
 
What they really need is for people to know Lucid exists. As much as the car will get better and it’s awesome, no one I meet has heard of the brand. Timothee won’t fix that. Not sure what will.
I Agree. Out here in Northern/Central Calif we see tons of TV ads for Genesis and Rivian's are everywhere on the roads (but, those goofy headlights!)
One promotional movie-short with a Mr Badass version of Bob Dylan's life portrayer out in some dim lit corners of the internet doesn't seem to be bringing the wide exposure Lucid may have hoped for (Perhaps they were shooting for more international branding...IDK?).
With TONS of ppl in and around Silicon Valley now wanting to dump their Teslas (yes, it's become darn near socially embarrassing to pull up in one) you'd think there'd be an opportunity for Air and Gavity to slide in as better engineered alternatives
 
He said it was the same post at the same station that he used to charge the car up at the start of the range test, so it definitely was not an incompatible SC. He also tried three other posts at that location.

I, too, suspect the RDU in the car as being the culprit.

But as I and several other owners on this forum have already had their RDUs replaced -- and now this -- I have to wonder how big (and expensive) a problem this might be for Lucid.
I had this happen to me a couple of weeks before taking my Gravity in for that initial service visit (which ballooned into a three week service). I had the car navigate to a compatible Supercharger in Carmel, CA, plugged in, and charging started, climbed to ~220kW, then abruptly stopped about two minutes into the session. I figured there was a fault with that particular charging post, so I disconnected and moved to a different post at the same station. I plugged in, and the car wouldn’t charge at all. I chalked it up to being a weird Tesla comms issue (given it worked for a bit the first time), so made my way to an EA station, plugged in with my adapter, and it charged perfectly.

When I subsequently took my car in for service to address minor issues (Home Link activation, malfunctioning middle row seats, etc.), the SA let me know engineering had received telemetry data from my car indicating a defective rear drive unit, and that it would need to be replaced. In hindsight, it must have been that Supercharging session that caused the car to report the RDU issue to engineering. Had to have been an inverter issue since that’s used to boost voltage at Superchargers.

Fascinating.
 
Yes, we all appreciate you single-handedly performing the advertising function for Lucid and other brands.

Thanks for your service.
Join some of my other groups and see what I been doing past decade…and you welcome.
 
Had to have been an inverter issue since that’s used to boost voltage at Superchargers.

I thought one of the tech videos Kyle Conner did with Lucid engineers said that they used the rear motor as a transformer to boost the voltage?
 
I thought one of the tech videos Kyle Conner did with Lucid engineers said that they used the rear motor as a transformer to boost the voltage?

Yes, it's in a lot of the early press releases about the Gravity too.

"To enable this superlative charging performance, Lucid developed and patented an innovative technology employing its proprietary rear motor drive unit to boost the charging voltage of 500V to match the 926V of the Lucid battery pack."

From: https://media.lucidmotors.com/en/ne...st-charging-and-access-to-20000-superchargers
 
I’m having the same issue, but with an odd twist. When I open the frunk with either a physical button press on the key fob, or tapping open on one of the cockpit screens, I’ll hear the triple beep, the frunk will attempt to open — moving ever so slightly upward — then closes again, repeats the triple beep sound, and opens fully the second time. The twist here is that I don’t have to press or tap controls a second time. It makes the second (successful) attempt in quick succession after my initial button press. I know it’s not supposed to operate that way, so when confused folks in my party ask what’s going on, I just say it’s a safety feature 🤣

It’s on my list of things to have serviced whenever I get the call that my middle row seats have arrived for replacement.
Oh, it's not supposed to work that way? Good to know, mine has always worked like this and I honestly thought it was by design.
I keep discovering unusual behaviors in my car and never know if it's a bug or a feature, it's a gift that keeps on giving 🤣
 
I thought one of the tech videos Kyle Conner did with Lucid engineers said that they used the rear motor as a transformer to boost the voltage?
The DC to DC boost circuit requires both a switch and an inductor. The motor winding is an inductor, the inverter FETs are switches. Inductors have the property of wanting to maintain a constant current, the inductor will develop a high voltage to try and keep the current constant. Introduce a switch that changes the current and the inductor (motor winding) will develop a much higher voltage. Both the inverter and the motor in the rear drive unit are required to make a DC to DC boost circuit. Lucid can control the amount of voltage boost by the frequency/duty cycle used to switch the FETS. It also controls motor torque so that the car does not move while charging.
 
The DC to DC boost circuit requires both a switch and an inductor. The motor winding is an inductor, the inverter FETs are switches. Inductors have the property of wanting to maintain a constant current, the inductor will develop a high voltage to try and keep the current constant. Introduce a switch that changes the current and the inductor (motor winding) will develop a much higher voltage. Both the inverter and the motor in the rear drive unit are required to make a DC to DC boost circuit. Lucid can control the amount of voltage boost by the frequency/duty cycle used to switch the FETS. It also controls motor torque so that the car does not move while charging.
I understood some of those words
 
Back
Top