Gravity Bugs / Issues

We finally picked up our second Gravity DE from the PPF installer today and got to put a couple of hours on it.

First, the good news:

The car's hardware seems considerably better than the first Gravity's. Fit and finish is excellent inside and out. The second row seat makes no noise even when fully run back. The HUD has no distortions and functions as designed. The navigation system works.

If there's any difference in ride quality between the mid-size wheels of our first Gravity and the largest wheels of our second Gravity, I can't detect it on anything but the harshest bumps, and then not by much. The interior is just as dead quiet on the summer Pirellis as on the Michelin all-seasons which are known for their quietness. But the Pirellis grab the pavement like flypaper. Simply amazing.

But . . .

The software is a demon's taunt of constantly shifting issues.

Whether streaming music or listening from my USB stick, the music constantly paused every 30-40 seconds during the initial drive. It would return when I hit the "play" button. I stopped to do a hard reset (X/mic/brake), but that did not correct the problem. Interestingly, my partner was following me home in our Air, and he said it started doing the same thing (something it had never done before). In both cars, the problem finally cleared on its own.

Halo Secure sometimes turned on when I started the car and displayed the dot-in-circle icon to trigger recording manually, indicating the system was on. Other times that icon was missing, and when I went into the Security & Safety menu, the system had the "enable recording" icon grayed out. When I then tried to redo the setup, it said I needed to insert a USB stick -- something that was already in the car and formatted. Even after removing and reinserting the stick the enable button remained grayer out with the system still asking me to insert a stick. This has been the case in our other Gravity ever since I installed the USB stick in it for Halo Secure. Sometimes the feature will work; sometimes it won't.

The camera displays and blind spot displays worked fine on the initial drive . . . until I got home and got nothing but gray screens when pulling into the garage (although distance indications were given). On the next drive, all the camera displays were gone throughout the drive. But getting back into the car after dinner, they were all there again. Total crap shoot whether you're going to have them or not.

The key fob worked consistently in the new car, but I did get a couple of "key fob not detected" alerts.

Homelink geofencing was not available (and had earlier disappeared from our first Gravity after being available for a couple of weeks). Our mobile tech told me this afternoon that he has heard from a lot of his customers about this, so he thinks Lucid has disabled geofencing for Homelink. He doesn't know why or for how long.

Random orange warning lights popped up throughout all our drives, sometimes one or several simultaneously. None identify the supposed malfunction.

Profile settings for some features do not hold consistently. Sometimes they do, but on the next drive they will be gone.

Both cars received the 3.3.5 update late this evening. I'm hoping tomorrow will be a better day. Or I was until I read @Ron_Burgundy's post, above.

I've said it a dozen times already. It's such a shame to have such a magnificent piece of automotive engineering so blighted by a steady drumbeat of software torments.
As for the radio issue, I've had it on occasion too and I think it's a network issue. Seeing as how your partner in the Air experienced the same, I'd think that was the case. Network congestion or something of the sort.
 
I haven’t tested it yet but is your center console still acting like the Bermuda Triangle and messing up your iPhone? Mine does that, Navigation on iPhone goes haywire if I put it anywhere on the center console, gets better in 30 seconds if I hold my phone away from center console. I’m thinking I have the pinched wire issue since it doesn’t recognize my key fobs so maybe that’s creating some EM interference? Maybe this OTA does something that inadvertently causes those who have center console issues to have Lucid navigation issues?
Yes on the Bermuda Triangle! Exact same phone GPS issue still, but, my key cards work and wireless charging works. Also on phone, I can’t have my phone near the center console and have a call - it shows one bar no matter where I am and people say they can’t hear me, etc. Then, if I hold it in my hand or place it on the arm rest, totally fine.

Checking the GPS for car this morning and will report back.
 
New one last night - car just started updating without any action from me. I was with a group of people who all confirmed that I didn’t take any action (they didn’t see me press anything when we got out of the car, and I didn’t have my phone out so definitely didn’t confirm anything in the app). The timing was terrible because we were driving to pick something up and parked in a metered space on a city street. The car was bricked for about 1:40 while it updated. My friends and I watched with update progress with bated breath from the outside of the car.
Never heard of it doing that, that sucks, I would actually text or call service and have them report that.
 
As for the radio issue, I've had it on occasion too and I think it's a network issue. Seeing as how your partner in the Air experienced the same, I'd think that was the case. Network congestion or something of the sort.

It was also happening when I switched from Tidal to the USB music stick. Would a network issue have affected the music stick?
 
It was also happening when I switched from Tidal to the USB music stick. Would a network issue have affected the music stick?
That part I don't know. I had it happen thru Tidal and Sirius, but streaming over Bluetooth from my phone worked fine. The USB part I cannot explain...
 
Yes on the Bermuda Triangle! Exact same phone GPS issue still, but, my key cards work and wireless charging works. Also on phone, I can’t have my phone near the center console and have a call - it shows one bar no matter where I am and people say they can’t hear me, etc. Then, if I hold it in my hand or place it on the arm rest, totally fine.

Checking the GPS for car this morning and will report back.
The good news is- GPS is working totally fine for me after a good night’s sleep.

The annoying news is- got in car with fob and wouldn’t go into gear at all, black screens except for true dashboard/cockpit. Waited a couple minutes. Then made everyone get out, walk away for a couple minutes and come back. Car was fine and though infotainment was super slow to load (black screen issue), car could go into gear. So, as expected, black screen/starting issue appears not addressed in 3.3.5. So still very embarrassing if it happens with passengers and everyone has to get out…

I know they’ll address it, just taking a long time.
 
The good news is- GPS is working totally fine for me after a good night’s sleep.

The annoying news is- got in car with fob and wouldn’t go into gear at all, black screens except for true dashboard/cockpit. Waited a couple minutes. Then made everyone get out, walk away for a couple minutes and come back. Car was fine and though infotainment was super slow to load (black screen issue), car could go into gear. So, as expected, black screen/starting issue appears not addressed in 3.3.5. So still very embarrassing if it happens with passengers and everyone has to get out…

I know they’ll address it, just taking a long time.

As a point of reference do you use proximity unlock ?

I get the black screen seemingly randomly, and seems to occur more often if I do not remotely unlock with fob and wait a few before getting in
 
Tom Moloughney ("State of Charge") just posted a 70mph range test of the Gravity. But it turns out the car had a defective rear drive unit.

Sigh . . . .

 
Never heard of it doing that, that sucks, I would actually text or call service and have them report that.
I did! They seemed pretty confident I must have accepted it somewhere, which is possible. I’m pretty sure I didn’t - coming from another EV I’m aware that updating bricks the car and would not have consciously made that choice when parking for 20 mins. Will be sensitive to this issue during the next update cycle.
 
As a point of reference do you use proximity unlock ?

I get the black screen seemingly randomly, and seems to occur more often if I do not remotely unlock with fob and wait a few before getting in
I use proximity and it’s almost never a problem. Except when it is…not clear that makes any difference.
 
They keep giving defective vehicles to reviewers... Self inflicted wounds...

To be fair, they're giving them to owners too.
 
They keep giving defective vehicles to reviewers... Self inflicted wounds...
I'd assume that Lucid'd want to give the perfect cars to the reviewers.
Therefore, this worries me as a reservation holder because I'd extrapolate that their QC couldn't identify the defective cars before they leave the factory.
I know for sure Lucid will fix these trouble makers, but who would want to make an extra trip to the SC, or worse, be stranded?
 
I'd assume that Lucid'd want to give the perfect cars to the reviewers.
Therefore, this worries me as a reservation holder because I'd extrapolate that their QC couldn't identify the defective cars before they leave the factory.
I know for sure Lucid will fix these trouble makers, but who would want to make an extra trip to the SC, or worse, be stranded?
That’s just it. They’re not defective cars. It’s a larger issue in that Lucid can’t even seem to identify which cars are “stable” and which are not. Obviously, if they could, they’d give reviewers cars the KNEW were fine. That’s the real challenge here, to me.
 
That’s just it. They’re not defective cars. It’s a larger issue in that Lucid can’t even seem to identify which cars are “stable” and which are not. Obviously, if they could, they’d give reviewers cars the KNEW were fine. That’s the real challenge here, to me.
Defective or unstable, both will require a trip to the SC for repair.
 
Small sample, but I did get the black screens tonight but it booted within 20 seconds. I need longer to buckle in the kid. I try to unlock as far away as I can so it has more time to boot. The spouse is still blissfully unaware that there is an issue at all.
 
They keep giving defective vehicles to reviewers... Self inflicted wounds...

Indeed.

Not only did the Gravity that Lucid loaned Moloughney for his range test have a defective rear drive unit, it also turned the rear seat climate control back on without a command, something that Moloughney is sure he turned off, as it's on his checklist in preparing for all his range tests. Since I and so many other posters have reported features turning on or off by themselves, I have no reason to doubt Moloughney.

Although Moloughney soft-pedaled it, he also mentioned that he saw a host of software glitches during his test (illustrated with some screen captures of this very thread). However, he took pains to point out that such problems often plague other startups such as Rivian and Tesla. At least he either didn't experience or didn't report the key fob issues that some other auto journalists are beginning to publicize.
 
I have to say after the 3.3.5 update my car seems to be perfect at the moment. I guess I got very lucky. Key worked perfectly, no erroneous "no key detected" messages, no waiting for the screens to turn on, no error messages, etc. This is the best firmware they've sent out yet (at least for my particular vehicle...maybe they need to buy it back and study it lol)....so that gives me hope that they are smashing bugs...

Oh, and as an added bonus, my ambient lighting actually turned on to the correct color! (That's a first).
 
Back
Top