Gravity Bugs / Issues

Indeed.

Not only did the Gravity that Lucid loaned Moloughney for his range test have a defective rear drive unit, it also turned the rear seat climate control back on without a command, something that Moloughney is sure he turned off, as it's on his checklist in preparing for all his range tests. Since I and so many other posters have reported features turning on or off by themselves, I have no reason to doubt Moloughney.

Although Moloughney soft-pedaled it, he also mentioned that he saw a host of software glitches during his test (illustrated with some screen captures of this very thread). However, he took pains to point out that such problems often plague other startups such as Rivian and Tesla. At least he either didn't experience or didn't report the key fob issues that some other auto journalists are beginning to publicize.
Tom is always fair, level headed and a really good guy. I’m sure that wasn’t a representative range test because I’m getting better efficiency than he did and I’ve got a DE with more HP/less range. I’m sure his HVAC was going haywire because mine does too, takes 4-5 repeated taps to put it in auto mode, often defaults to rear climate on and I’ll turn it off it kid isn’t in the car and then somehow it goes back on.

It’s funny for me at least with 3.3.5, after that reboot due to global camera failure, it’s been remarkably solid, except it did forget my dynamic light setting again. But no black screens, super fast boot time, using proximity unlock/lock without incident. Like I’m actually in no rush to update the fob firmware cuz it’s been flawless.
 
Opposite experience for me re: reliability of 3.3.5. Got the won’t shift into gear and black screens again tonight. Had to walk away and come back about five minutes later and it was fine. Second time today. That’s already one more time than I had to do it on 3.3.2. Also got my favorite headlight warning twice today. I don’t have fob update, so maybe that’s making it worse?
 
Opposite experience for me re: reliability of 3.3.5. Got the won’t shift into gear and black screens again tonight. Had to walk away and come back about five minutes later and it was fine. Second time today. That’s already one more time than I had to do it on 3.3.2. Also got my favorite headlight warning twice today. I don’t have fob update, so maybe that’s making it worse?
Oh do you not have the first fob update they did, not the one they just did for this OTA? That would probably explain it.
 
Oh do you not have the first fob update they did, not the one they just did for this OTA? That would probably explain it.
I have the first fob update from 3.3.2. But don’t have the 3.3.5 fob update. I have 3.3.5 on my car and am getting more issues with not shifting and just frozen and black screens than I had with 3.3.2.
 
I have the first fob update from 3.3.2. But don’t have the 3.3.5 fob update. I have 3.3.5 on my car and am getting more issues with not shifting and just frozen and black screens than I had with 3.3.2.
I also only have the first fob update.
 
Ok that’s bizarre, as I also do not have the newest firmware but my fob works as good as my Air one did with proximity unlock and boot time now and no black screens.
 
Ok that’s bizarre, as I also do not have the newest firmware but my fob works as good as my Air one did with proximity unlock and boot time now and no black screens.
Well, the fob works to unlock the car with proximity and to lock it - it’s just not starting it consistently - but…it’s not the “key not detected” error, it’s just not letting me shift into gear and I get black screens more. Then, I walk away for a bit and it works. Again, I had this issue about 5 days after delivery 3 months ago, but haven’t had it since then, so it’s weird. Generally it’s all working fine (though I’ve gotten plenty of rogue warnings today).

Just highlights the fact that it’s not ONE issue on certain cars, and that’s what’s probably driving Lucid (and Gravity owners) insane. But car is still best I’ve ever had with respect to driving, etc.
 
Small sample, but I did get the black screens tonight but it booted within 20 seconds. I need longer to buckle in the kid. I try to unlock as far away as I can so it has more time to boot. The spouse is still blissfully unaware that there is an issue at all.
You better hope she never sees this thread and this reply !
 
One other thing happened with the Gravity that Tom Moloughney tested, and this one is of the most personal concern to me.

He charged the vehicle at the start of the test at a Tesla Supercharger behind a Wawa store. He returned to the same location at the end of the test with 1% left on the battery but found that he couldn't charge -- not at the post he used originally nor at any of the other three he tried. He had to limp off to a nearby Electrify America station.

Was this a problem with the car or with the Superchargers?

I've had enough issues for a lifetime with malfunctioning charge stations (especially EA ones) over the past four years with our Air. If there are now charging issues with the car itself, road tripping can be really bedeviled.
 
One other thing happened with the Gravity that Tom Moloughney tested, and this one is of the most personal concern to me.

He charged the vehicle at the start of the test at a Tesla Supercharger behind a Wawa store. He returned to the same location at the end of the test with 1% left on the battery but found that he couldn't charge -- not at the post he used originally nor at any of the other three he tried. He had to limp off to a nearby Electrify America station.

Was this a problem with the car or with the Superchargers?

I've had enough issues for a lifetime with malfunctioning charge stations (especially EA ones) over the past four years with our Air. If there are now charging issues with the car itself, road tripping can be really bedeviled.
It’s possible the RDU was a factor, he had someone backing up to charge next to him.
 
One other thing happened with the Gravity that Tom Moloughney tested, and this one is of the most personal concern to me.

He charged the vehicle at the start of the test at a Tesla Supercharger behind a Wawa store. He returned to the same location at the end of the test with 1% left on the battery but found that he couldn't charge -- not at the post he used originally nor at any of the other three he tried. He had to limp off to a nearby Electrify America station.

Was this a problem with the car or with the Superchargers?

I've had enough issues for a lifetime with malfunctioning charge stations (especially EA ones) over the past four years with our Air. If there are now charging issues with the car itself, road tripping can be really bedeviled.
I have to think it was either not an SC that was compatible (I didn’t watch video) or an SC problem. I’ve charged at over 10 different Tesla SCs now and had no issues.

Although, I guess RDU could’ve been the problem as that’s where the parts are to help “upcharge” at an SC, right?
 
From Lucid:

"To enable this superlative charging performance, Lucid developed and patented an innovative technology employing its proprietary rear motor drive unit to boost the charging voltage of 500V to match the 926V of the Lucid battery pack."

I'm honestly more concerned that the EA charger didn't care at all that something might be wrong in the RDU/charging system. Maybe because of the adapter?
 
From Lucid:

"To enable this superlative charging performance, Lucid developed and patented an innovative technology employing its proprietary rear motor drive unit to boost the charging voltage of 500V to match the 926V of the Lucid battery pack."

I'm honestly more concerned that the EA charger didn't care at all that something might be wrong in the RDU/charging system. Maybe because of the adapter?

Actually, this behavior is consistent with the RDU being at fault: the RDU is only used to boost the voltage from "low" voltage level 3 chargers (e.g. Tesla Superchargers). It is not necessary for 1000v chargers deployed by EA.
 
Actually, this behavior is consistent with the RDU being at fault: the RDU is only used to boost the voltage from "low" voltage level 3 chargers (e.g. Tesla Superchargers). It is not necessary for 1000v chargers deployed by EA.
Ah! True. Good catch on that.
 
It’s funny for me at least with 3.3.5, after that reboot due to global camera failure, it’s been remarkably solid, except it did forget my dynamic light setting again. But no black screens, super fast boot time, using proximity unlock/lock without incident. Like I’m actually in no rush to update the fob firmware cuz it’s been flawless.
Same experience for me. Did multiple trips today and not one key fob message or black screens. Car has been extremely solid.
 
One other thing happened with the Gravity that Tom Moloughney tested, and this one is of the most personal concern to me.

He charged the vehicle at the start of the test at a Tesla Supercharger behind a Wawa store. He returned to the same location at the end of the test with 1% left on the battery but found that he couldn't charge -- not at the post he used originally nor at any of the other three he tried. He had to limp off to a nearby Electrify America station.

Was this a problem with the car or with the Superchargers?

I've had enough issues for a lifetime with malfunctioning charge stations (especially EA ones) over the past four years with our Air. If there are now charging issues with the car itself, road tripping can be really bedeviled.
We've had zero issues and have almost exclusively used Superchargers.
 
I have to think it was either not an SC that was compatible (I didn’t watch video) or an SC problem. I’ve charged at over 10 different Tesla SCs now and had no issues.

Although, I guess RDU could’ve been the problem as that’s where the parts are to help “upcharge” at an SC, right?

He said it was the same post at the same station that he used to charge the car up at the start of the range test, so it definitely was not an incompatible SC. He also tried three other posts at that location.

I, too, suspect the RDU in the car as being the culprit.

But as I and several other owners on this forum have already had their RDUs replaced -- and now this -- I have to wonder how big (and expensive) a problem this might be for Lucid.
 
He said it was the same post at the same station that he used to charge the car up at the start of the range test, so it definitely was not an incompatible SC. He also tried three other posts at that location.

I, too, suspect the RDU in the car as being the culprit.

But as I and several other owners on this forum have already had their RDUs replaced -- and now this -- I have to wonder how big (and expensive) a problem this might be for Lucid.
Hmm. This seems to be THE core issue for Lucid with the Gravity. They don’t know the expansiveness of the critical issues. I am sure it’s frustrating for them. No company would purposely inflict damage to its brand.

I really hope and believe they will figure it out as the car is absolutely amazing. I still look forward to driving it every day. And, they need to address the issues before normal buyers just tune out.

I think the deeper market is for the Touring. But not if it has any of the issues present in the GGT. 😢
 
Back
Top