GM released v2h

Awesome. Maybe this will put a bit more pressure on Lucid to get this out the door.

Awesome. Now the approximately 34.3 Ultium cars actually on the road can use it!

Jokes aside, the huge battery they have on most of their trucks provides huge potential for their application. Hope Lucid hurries up with this feature, although I could completely understand why it wouldn’t be their first priority with Gravity coming and midsize be by in development. Then again, most Lucid features drop at seemingly random times.. so who knows?

Don't hold your breath...

I would like to see it work. Heard bad reviews about GM ultium was a hot mess last time I checked.

I went to the web site and looked at the V2H and clicked on it. This is what showed up:

"Actual production will vary. The GM Energy PowerShift Charger and GM Energy V2H Enablement Kit shown requires an adequately charged and properly equipped GM EV (anticipated 24MY Silverado EV RST, 24MY Sierra EV Denali, 24MY Chevrolet Blazer EV, 24MY Chevrolet Equinox EV, 24MY Cadillac LYRIQ) having bidirectional charging capabilities, a properly equipped home, and proper grid interconnection. Some eligible 24MY EVs will require a dealership or over-the-air update to enable bidirectional charging. Weather conditions, life of the battery, vehicle variation and usage, and other external factors may impact the duration of power supply. Power supply may be interrupted."

Notice all the caveats and word "anticipated". As the saying goes...not ready for prime time.

I had been wondering about the usefulness to me of the V2H capability as compared to an installed automatic transfer switch to a propane-powered generator if/when my current generator dies. When folks are looking to order/install the V2H, are they basically just trying to keep the fridge/freezer and bare necessities running and for how long? If your car is charged to 80% when the power goes, what are people's estimates/expectations?

I'm just digging out from the Nor'easter (19" of heavy wet snow) where my entire town lost electricity. After two and a half days, still only half the town has power. I was one of the lucky ones that only lost it for just over 48 hours (saw my transformer blow through the trees at 5:00 Thursday morning), but the generator basically kept my entire house (& garage) functioning, except I used no 240v appliances/outlets (or charging the car) to prevent high demand. (Internet & phone worked throughout). This timeframe/capacity would not be the expectation of most of you interested in the V2H system, correct?

My house averages 4kW-hr per day (without car charging). I'm hoping V2H comes this year. With my usage I figure my car can run the house for at least a week. Which is the longest I've seen (Hurricane Floyd 1999).

Not supported on the Hummer. :(

I had been wondering about the usefulness to me of the V2H capability as compared to an installed automatic transfer switch to a propane-powered generator if/when my current generator dies. When folks are looking to order/install the V2H, are they basically just trying to keep the fridge/freezer and bare necessities running and for how long? If your car is charged to 80% when the power goes, what are people's estimates/expectations?
We rarely lose power here so V2L to keep my refrigerators running and a few other things will work just fine for me. V2H is too complicated and expensive (all the work that has to be done at the electrical service panel end) to be worth it. I think I have lost power here three times in 35 years.

We rarely lose power here so V2L to keep my refrigerators running and a few other things will work just fine for me. V2H is too complicated and expensive (all the work that has to be done at the electrical service panel end) to be worth it. I think I have lost power here three times in 35 years.
Lucky you. I tend to lose it a couple times a year - usually only for a couple hours at a time. We have had some incredible ice storms, nor'easters, and such, which can end up with multiple-day outages due to winds, ice, and heavy snow. We've been fortunate with out-of-state utilities showing up and there are hundreds of their trucks everywhere after this storm... 99% of our town has power back within 4 days.

PG&E has been shutting off power anytime the wind is up and fire hazards are present. Since all their Snafu's over the past couple of years they are extremely gun shy. We also pay some of the highest rates in the country so V2H/V2G will be very useful.

Out of curiosity, has anyone compared the cost of setting up V2H vs. purchasing and installing a generator? If one is in a location where power losses are common, which makes more sense?

We really don't know the cost of setting up V2H with the Lucid yet. Supposedly because the car already has the necessary inverters (Wunderbox) that should result in some savings. Regardless I would not expect it to exceed the generator cost to power my entire home and a generator is noisy. Without actually knowing anything specific from Lucid at this point we will just have to wait and see when/if they actually release the details.

We really don't know the cost of setting up V2H with the Lucid yet. Supposedly because the car already has the necessary inverters (Wunderbox) that should result in some savings. Regardless I would not expect it to exceed the generator cost to power my entire home and a generator is noisy. Without actually knowing anything specific from Lucid at this point we will just have to wait and see when/if they actually release the details.
True but if the costs are comparable, the generator will be outside (like my AC compressors) and the car's electrons will be preserved for their intended purpose: driving. If power is out, I would expect that most folks would do more driving, not less.

V2H sounds like a great idea; I am just not sure it makes sense given all the changes that have to be made to allow it to operate safely. Now if one had a Hummer, as a second car, that would provide a lot of V2H electrons!

One thing I don't understand is the Lucid charger doesn't have a neutral.. I'm pretty sure that would be required for V2H to work. Someone with better electrical engineering skills can tell me I'm wrong. :)

True but if the costs are comparable, the generator will be outside (like my AC compressors) and the car's electrons will be preserved for their intended purpose: driving. If power is out, I would expect that most folks would do more driving, not less.

V2H sounds like a great idea; I am just not sure it makes sense given all the changes that have to be made to allow it to operate safely. Now if one had a Hummer, as a second car, that would provide a lot of V2H electrons!
If you have the roof and location for it, solar + battery backup can be a good fit, but more expensive than a gas generator. The upside is it can pay for itself over time.

One thing I don't understand is the Lucid charger doesn't have a neutral.. I'm pretty sure that would be required for V2H to work. Someone with better electrical engineering skills can tell me I'm wrong. :)
@DeaneG had a theory about this iirc

I think the V2H pay will come from daily use. Charge at night when rates are low then run key appliances when rates are high. I have been told savings on that scenario would be about $50 per month.

Back