Front end ground clearance ?

There is an airfoil in front of each front wheel. I just measured the clearance to the floor: 3 1/8".

Without knowing it, I had torn both foils off my car. They discovered this at the Service Center Saturday when I took the car in to have the ADAS recalibrated after the radar/laser installation. And I'm not the first person who has done so.

(My radar/laser installer had to call Lucid a few times to get some information/assistance with the install. He said they were the most helpful service group he's dealt with from any manufacturer.)

View attachment 1001

Wow, that is low. I am concerned about my steep incline on my driveway and the ground clearance. Do you have any knowledge of what angle of incline the car needs? Asked DA who hasn't gotten back to me yet. It would suck to get car but not be able to get up driveway without scraping the car up.

Wow, that is low. I am concerned about my steep incline on my driveway and the ground clearance. Do you have any knowledge of what angle of incline the car needs? Asked DA who hasn't gotten back to me yet. It would suck to get car but not be able to get up driveway without scraping the car up.

When I had my Porsche boomerangs were popular for this reason. My driveway is sloped to so will have to take it real slow the first time up. I wonder if they'll be issues driving onto the BendPak MDS-6LP?

The good news is that the 3 1/8" clearance is right in front of the tire. You'll have a bit more clearance toward the front of the car due to the shape of the air foil. I think this is more an issue with concrete bump stops than with driveways. I don't know what the front approach angle of the car is.

IMG_1014.jpg

Those air foils need to be made of a flexible rubber type material so they resist tearing off unlike a rigid material.

Yeah..... also don't assume the car clears the concrete stoppers. The bottom of the bumper certainly does but go too far in and you will hear scraping 😬 (speaking from experience)

There is an airfoil in front of each front wheel. I just measured the clearance to the floor: 3 1/8".

Without knowing it, I had torn both foils off my car. They discovered this at the Service Center Saturday when I took the car in to have the ADAS recalibrated after the radar/laser installation. And I'm not the first person who has done so.

(My radar/laser installer had to call Lucid a few times to get some information/assistance with the install. He said they were the most helpful service group he's dealt with from any manufacturer.)

View attachment 1001
Great photo -- thanks. This isnt good for me since im likely to hit parking stoppers a few times per year at least. Id better stock up on airfoils when i get my agt.

Great photo -- thanks. This isnt good for me since im likely to hit parking stoppers a few times per year at least. Id better stock up on airfoils when i get my agt.
The great thing is the 360 parking camera will more or less show you when you need to stop before hitting the barrier!

Those air foils need to be made of a flexible rubber type material so they resist tearing off unlike a rigid material.

They are made of a very flexible rubber or plastic and attach with three bolts on tear-away tabs to lessen the risk of damaging other components if torn off. They are relatively inexpensive and can be replaced by the owner (but it's an awkward job without a lift).

They are made of a very flexible rubber or plastic and attach with three bolts on tear-away tabs to lessen the risk of damaging other components if torn off. They are relatively inexpensive and can be replaced by the owner (but it's an awkward job without a lift).
1. What is their function?
2. Can they simply be removed?
3. Some tall speed bumps/humps might contact them before the wheel elevates the car.
4. Virtually out of sight, were it not for your pic!

1. What is their function?
2. Can they simply be removed?
3. Some tall speed bumps/humps might contact them before the wheel elevates the car.
4. Virtually out of sight, were it not for your pic!

They are airfoils meant to channel airflow around the tires. They are an integral part of the aerodynamics of the car on which highway range largely depends.

Mmm, need to get the BendPak methinks...

Have to say. Very impressed with service already and I haven't even received car yet. I am worried about car being able to get up steep driveway due to low ground clearance and reached out to rep at Short hills studio and he is driving a GT over to my house tomorrow to test it out. Granted I only live 3 miles from the studio but I can guarantee that I never received anywhere close to this level of response from my Porsche dealer before.

Have to say. Very impressed with service already and I haven't even received car yet. I am worried about car being able to get up steep driveway due to low ground clearance and reached out to rep at Short hills studio and he is driving a GT over to my house tomorrow to test it out. Granted I only live 3 miles from the studio but I can guarantee that I never received anywhere close to this level of response from my Porsche dealer before.
So if it scraped are you cancelling? 🤔

They are airfoils meant to channel airflow around the tires. They are an integral part of the aerodynamics of the car on which highway range largely depends.
Between those little air foils or the aero caps on the tires, which one do you actually think has an appreciable impact on range/efficiency?

So if it scraped are you cancelling? 🤔
If it barely scrapes, would probably still proceed with car. I just don't want to be smashing the front end of the car repeatedly and causing damage. Otherwise would have to redo lower part of my driveway to lower the initial incline, which wouldn't be cheap. Hoping it isn't an issue because I really want the car.🤞

Between those little air foils or the aero caps on the tires, which one do you actually think has an appreciable impact on range/efficiency?
It’s the sum of the parts. Every single optimization only contributes a little bit, but you need all of them to achieve maximum performance.

Very small disruptions in the airflow at critical points can trigger the formation of greater disturbances. Wheel wells are particularly troublesome spots for forming turbulence, and it looks to me (in my inexpert view) as if those foils might help prevent air pressure from building in the upper part of the wheel well.

As for whether the aero caps or the airfoils each contribute more, I don't have a clue, except that I know air management works as a "system" on a car. The data The New Aero publishes for their wheels show a drag reduction of 9% over the standard Model S 21" wheels, which is significant. How that compares to the Air wheels with their aero caps I don't know.

Back