Ford V2H announced

MikeTz

Cars
Lucid DE, Plaid, Rivian
DE Number
Customers that order the F-150 Lightning with the extended range battery pack (131 kWh usable) receive a Charge Station Pro with their vehicle at no extra cost. It can deliver 40-amps (9.6 kW) to the home in the case of a power failure and will charge the F-150 at 19.2 kWh.
What's holding Lucid back?

I believe the Lucid charge station is coming Q2

Customers that order the F-150 Lightning with the extended range battery pack (131 kWh usable) receive a Charge Station Pro with their vehicle at no extra cost. It can deliver 40-amps (9.6 kW) to the home in the case of a power failure and will charge the F-150 at 19.2 kWh.
Not being Ford

Lucid is promising to deliver the same functionality. Ford is not shipping the Lightning for a while so it is a promise, no different from Lucid's promise.

The difference is that the hardware will be available for purchase prior to the arrival of the Truck. It is included with the large battery pack. Ford is signing agreements with major installers for preparing the house to operate off the Grid as well.

Lucid chargers to come out Quarter 2. Did no one at Lucid years ago realize these cars would need to be charged?

Lucid chargers to come out Quarter 2. Did no one at Lucid years ago realize these cars would need to be charged?
There is the option of a portable charger which comes with the car and the Electrify America chargers.

Their own chargers aren't as important because they are at least standard J1772 connectors. The only benefit to the Lucid Home Charger is the capability of doing V2G and right now I can't even think of a single utility that allows that in the US.

Their own chargers aren't as important because they are at least standard J1772 connectors. The only benefit to the Lucid Home Charger is the capability of doing V2G and right now I can't even think of a single utility that allows that in the US.
I assume by V2G you mean vehicle to grid, but that wouldn't disallow vehicle to home, would it?

I assume by V2G you mean vehicle to grid, but that wouldn't disallow vehicle to home, would it?
You could do V2H, but only if you can completely disconnect from the grid.

You could do V2H, but only if you can completely disconnect from the grid.
That is right. Any time you want to connect a power generating component (solar/battery), the utility will have a say. If your home is completely off grid, no one cares.

That is right. Any time you want to connect a power generating component (solar/battery), the utility will have a say. If your home is completely off grid, no one cares.
Good to know - that applies to whole home backup generators (diesel/ nat gas) as well in that case?

Home generators are supposed to be connected to a transfer switch. The switch allows the house to run off “city” electricity or your generator electricity but physically can never allow your generator to send electricity into the “city “ lines.

Home generators are supposed to be connected to a transfer switch. The switch allows the house to run off “city” electricity or your generator electricity but physically can never allow your generator to send electricity into the “city “ lines.
So the Lucid Home Charger would need to be hooked up to the home via a transfer switch and then you can power the home from the car, correct? That's been my understanding.

There is the option of a portable charger which comes with the car and the Electrify America chargers.
Well, The Level 1 chargers that come with the cars take a huge amount of hours to charge a car like the Lucid and some of us live more than 20 miles from a EA charge station in the wrong direction so both of these options are crazy stupid. If one has something like a Chevy Volt with tiny batteries the Level 1 charger might get you by but a Lucid?

Last edited:
So the Lucid Home Charger would need to be hooked up to the home via a transfer switch and then you can power the home from the car, correct? That's been my understanding.
That is my understanding but do not know for sure. I have generators at two houses but am not totally familiar with how this all works from car to house .

That was my understanding as well

That is my understanding but do not know for sure. I have generators at two houses but am not totally familiar with how this all works from car to house .
Actually the whole point of V2G is to help with the grid loading during peak times and allow you to then charge in off-peak. Unfortunately, in Socal, Edison is refusing to allow that to happen because then they make less money selling you electricity. But then turn around and charge you a grid connection fee and are trying to charge you to produce energy via solar because they are a bunch of jerks

Last edited:
Well, The Level 1 chargers that come with the cars take a huge amount of hours to charge a car like the Lucid and some of us live more than 20 miles from a EA charge station in the wrong direction so both of these options are crazy stupid. If one has something like a Chevy Volt with tiny batteries the Level 1 charger might get you by but a Lucid?
There is a level 2 plug for the lucid charger that will allow 40amps of current. That is sufficient to charge overnight and what would would get if purchasing a charger for the garage.

That is my understanding too. One cannot perform energy arbitrage by pumping into the grid at peak pricing and removing at super off-peak. I think it is just a matter of time though until that can be accomplished as the car batteries can help solve the goose curve on the grid that will continue to get worse as more solar enters.

Back