For those considering a 100amp breaker install

Any idea if this DIP switch is inside the "home charger" or easily accessible outside?
The home charger max current is set by the various adapters that are available for it:
Image 1-5-22 at 11.13 AM.jpg

The home charger max current is set by the various adapters that are available for it:
Just to clarify, I am talking specifically about the Lucid Connected Home Charging Station which is not released yet, and not the onboard charger in the car.

so i have a detached garage across the street/my condo and just asked my condo manager about installing an electric charger and he said it requires trenching under concrete and road asphalt. bit unfortunate. i thought I could piggy back on the existing electric connection/wires. anyone has any ideas/clever solutions?

so i have a detached garage across the street/my condo and just asked my condo manager about installing an electric charger and he said it requires trenching under concrete and road asphalt. bit unfortunate. i thought I could piggy back on the existing electric connection/wires. anyone has any ideas/clever solutions?
If you have a electric garage door opener for the garage, you can usually use the power from that. Most places have a wall outlet close to garage door opener. The charging would be slow - maybe 4 miles per hour, but it's better than nothing.

Investigate how garage gets its power. How many bays?

Yea...EV charging needs it's own dedicated circuit.

If you have a electric garage door opener for the garage, you can usually use the power from that. Most places have a wall outlet close to garage door opener. The charging would be slow - maybe 4 miles per hour, but it's better than nothing.

I just had Wallbox Pulsar Plus installed in my garage on Dec.29th to take advantage (before year's end) of receiving the federal tax credit of 30% of installation charges. I had Chargepoint America install it. Since I am ignorant of what to order and Lucid's box was not available, I just told them to put their best charger in. This was a last minute decision and they went out of their way to make sure my installation was done prior to the New Year. The Wallbox charger was hardwired in and anchored to a stud in the garage.. Did I make a mistake or not, as I have no idea if was the right decision. I'm usually more careful, but wanted to get the tax credit for the year 2021 and time was running out.

I just had Wallbox Pulsar Plus installed in my garage on Dec.29th to take advantage (before year's end) of receiving the federal tax credit of 30% of installation charges. I had Chargepoint America install it. Since I am ignorant of what to order and Lucid's box was not available, I just told them to put their best charger in. This was a last minute decision and they went out of their way to make sure my installation was done prior to the New Year. The Wallbox charger was hardwired in and anchored to a stud in the garage.. Did I make a mistake or not, as I have no idea if was the right decision. I'm usually more careful, but wanted to get the tax credit for the year 2021 and time was running out.
That will work just fine. It’s a 40 amp charger so will definitely give you enough juice overnight. A 40 amp charger is pretty much the standard in the market for charging.

I don't know. As this setting would only be changed when wiring and/or breaker are physically modified (it governs the maximum draw), and they'd want to avoid this switch being exposed to the elements, it's probably not easily accessible, and shouldn't be.

Anyway, it was really easy to get this information - I just called Lucid, stated I was a reservation holder, and was quickly introduced by email to the right person. They are now in contact with my electrical contractor so my wiring installation is done to spec.

The DIP switch you’re referring to is in the Lucid home wall charger (also known, confusingly, as the Lucid Wallbox, not to be confused with the Wallbox Pulsar Plus; curious to see how that trademark battle goes lol). It’s there because you can install it on a line smaller than 100A (and thus lower than 80A continuous).

The Lucid mobile charger (the one that comes with the car) should adjust automatically to whatever amperage the circuit can deliver, per my understanding, up to 40A continuous (on a 14-50 plug with a 50amp breaker and wiring).

That will work just fine. It’s a 40 amp charger so will definitely give you enough juice overnight. A 40 amp charger is pretty much the standard in the market for charging.

I have the Wallbox hardwired - it’s actually a 48A charger if it’s on a 60A circuit! :) (mine is, and I did the same thing - had it installed before year end for the credit)

I have the Wallbox hardwired - it’s actually a 48A charger if it’s on a 60A circuit! :) (mine is, and I did the same thing - had it installed before year end for the credit)

Yes, the electrician put in a 60A circuit breaker in my panel for the Wallbox.

Then that will really work well - 11.52 kW per hour. That is about as good as you can get without the cost for the EVSE to go up a lot. The ChargePoint Flex can go up to 50, but that is an insignificant difference. The chargers that deliver 80 amps are quite expensive and Really overkill for overnight charging. The Lucid home EVSE that they will eventually sell at least can do bidirectional charging which would be the selling point.

When I installed the charger for my PHEV the electrician had to rearrange by power panel to get me a 20 amp dedicated circuit. Beyond that he would have had to trench my lawn to bring in another line from the street (to go from my current 225 to 400 amp service). I figure that will be enough to do a daily top off when I get my Lucid but I will want a fast charger somewhere not too far away for an occasional electric fix.

So you could ask the condo manager if there might be a way to rearrange the power panel to get you a dedicated circuit. But even that is expensive. When I wanted to put in a pool heater pump and needed to go from 200 amps to 225 amps, the electrician had to install a new panel with all new circuit breakers and then he had to run the dedicated line from my panel to my garage.

We are upgrading to 600amp service as soon as we get a new house. This is the most you can get from our utility. We could in the future be charging 3 EV at the same time. Be mindful at some point there will be residential DC fast charging of some sort.

When I installed the charger for my PHEV the electrician had to rearrange by power panel to get me a 20 amp dedicated circuit. Beyond that he would have had to trench my lawn to bring in another line from the street (to go from my current 225 to 400 amp service). I figure that will be enough to do a daily top off when I get my Lucid but I will want a fast charger somewhere not too far away for an occasional electric fix.

So you could ask the condo manager if there might be a way to rearrange the power panel to get you a dedicated circuit. But even that is expensive. When I wanted to put in a pool heater pump and needed to go from 200 amps to 225 amps, the electrician had to install a new panel with all new circuit breakers and then he had to run the dedicated line from my panel to my garage.
good to know. thanks

welp the electrician said he can't install a charger in my detached garage. so now i'm considering taking this to HOA. i know at least one another owner who couldn't install charger because they also have a detached garage. any idea what our options are? most of the ev cars in our community are Teslas so maybe an option that works for both Lucid and Tesla and other ev cars would be easier to convince. do vendors like electrify america install chargers inside gated communities? any other vendors that are similar to EA?

welp the electrician said he can't install a charger in my detached garage. so now i'm considering taking this to HOA. i know at least one another owner who couldn't install charger because they also have a detached garage. any idea what our options are? most of the ev cars in our community are Teslas so maybe an option that works for both Lucid and Tesla and other ev cars would be easier to convince. do vendors like electrify america install chargers inside gated communities? any other vendors that are similar to EA?
I know working with Chargepoint they will do the install, but the cost is paid for by the property owner and then they set the price on charging.

Why can't the electrician install a charger in a detached garage? Inadequate amperage going to the garage? Do you own the garage or does the HOA?

Just kind of curious as to what the real issue is here.

I know working with Chargepoint they will do the install, but the cost is paid for by the property owner and then they set the price on charging.
cool. will discuss this as an option.

Back