For those considering a 100amp breaker install

Well now we know why Lucid hadn't released the LCHCS yet...

The ISO standard was just published this week.

Good! Can you post pics of what it looks like in garage?

It looks the same as any other line run. I’ve got a 60A breaker and Wallbox Pulsar Plus on it right now but will upgrade that to 100A and the Lucid EVSE when it comes back, moving the Pulsar to a different spot I happen to have a 60A line on.

I will be in a couple of weeks (or do you mean the direct 100amp line??). Because of my 1940s house, detached garage, ancient 100amp panel and need to comply with new codes and the insane supply chain shortage, it was gonna cost $10,600 to upgrade to 200amp panel and put the NEMA 14-50 in the garage because the wires have to go quite some distance, trenching, need a new street level shutoff switch for the fire department, etc. And that quote was from a friend who’s an electrician who’s getting me a decent deal based on current costs in New England. BUT after looking at Solar apparently there’s some subsidy (not sure if state or federal) where the solar company can cover the cost of the electric panel upgrade since they’d have to upgrade it for solar install, so lucky me, I save the $10K and get solar.
Is your existing service overhead or underground? Not that it should make a difference as at least here in NE Illinois as ComEd provides the wiring from the house out to the pole, and having done projects in many different jusidictions across the midwest that is usually the case.

It looks the same as any other line run. I’ve got a 60A breaker and Wallbox Pulsar Plus on it right now but will upgrade that to 100A and the Lucid EVSE when it comes back, moving the Pulsar to a different spot I happen to have a 60A line on.

My electrician wants to put a 100a breaker in the panel then a 50a service disconnect in the garage next to 14-50 plug. Just trying to see other installs since this doesn't sound as clean looking.

My electrician wants to put a 100a breaker in the panel then a 50a service disconnect in the garage next to 14-50 plug. Just trying to see other installs since this doesn't sound as clean looking.
Why would he put a disconnect next to the plug instead of next to the breaker?

I'm assuming he is running a 100 amp line so you can upgrade easily to a larger charger in the future, the need for the fusible disconnect would be for the ability to fuse the receptacle at 50 amps, a cleaner solution would be to just install a 50 amp breaker in the panel, then all that would required in the future is replacing the 50 amp breaker with a 100 amp breaker.

Why would he put a disconnect next to the plug instead of next to the breaker?
The only reason I can think of is to fuse the receptacle at 50 amps.

I'm assuming he is running a 100 amp line so you can upgrade easily to a larger charger in the future, the need for the fusible disconnect would be for the ability to fuse the receptacle at 50 amps, a cleaner solution would be to just install a 50 amp breaker in the panel, then all that would required in the future is replacing the 50 amp breaker with a 100 amp breaker.

The only reason I can think of is to fuse the receptacle at 50 amps.

I thought the 50a breaker in panel would be the way to go. Maybe the wire won't fit in the breaker? Yes a fusible disconnect. I'll have to see what he's trying to do. It has to look right and not require a lot of wall repair when Lucid EVSE comes.

Last edited:
Well now we know why Lucid hadn't released the LCHCS yet...

I was under the impression Lucid was only working on Vehicle to Home at this time, not to Grid?

I had a call from a Qmerit electrician who said to put the 50 amp circuit and wiring for now In my project (service panel is on the outside of the garage wall. Said that there will be many regulations to be discussed in the future as all the details for a bidirectional battery in a car have not been worked out yet. Since the run is short, just wire it for a 50 amp / NEMA 14-50 plug now and wait until the bidirectional details are hashed out.

I thought the 50a breaker in panel would be the way to go. Maybe the wire won't fit in the breaker? Yes a fusible disconnect. I'll have to see what he's trying to do. It has to look right and not require a lot of wall repair when Lucid EVSE comes.
The wire probably won't fit the breaker, he can always reduce the wire size with a butt splice at the panel and then you will avoid a 60 amp disconnect hanging on your garage wall.

I had a call from a Qmerit electrician who said to put the 50 amp circuit and wiring for now In my project (service panel is on the outside of the garage wall. Said that there will be many regulations to be discussed in the future as all the details for a bidirectional battery in a car have not been worked out yet. Since the run is short, just wire it for a 50 amp / NEMA 14-50 plug now and wait until the bidirectional details are hashed out.
If I was running a new circuit for the car, I'd definitely go higher than 50 amps. 50 is plenty for a small battery car though. I'll be re-using a 60 amp circuit I had installed for my Tesla.

If I was running a new circuit for the car, I'd definitely go higher than 50 amps.
Well, the Lucid home charger is not available yet and I am not going to buy an EVSE for now, just plug in one of the two mobile chargers we will have (the Leaf or Lucid) or move the ChargePoint from the other outlet for now, so the 50 amps is for a NEMA 14-50 plug as it can’t use anything more. The run is about 3 feet which is why the electrician said just swap out the wiring and breaker whenever the Home charger is released And I am ready to hardwire something. The bi-directional won’t happen anytime in the near future with all the state, city and utility regulations that need to pass, so it might be 5 or 10 years before that could be a reality. I won’t get the Lucid home EVSE until I can hook It up to use the bidirectional feature.

Well, the Lucid home charger is not available yet and I am not going to buy an EVSE for now, just plug in one of the two mobile chargers we will have (the Leaf or Lucid) or move the ChargePoint from the other outlet for now, so the 50 amps is for a NEMA 14-50 plug as it can’t use anything more. The run is about 3 feet which is why the electrician said just swap out the wiring and breaker whenever the Home charger is released And I am ready to hardwire something. The bi-directional won’t happen anytime in the near future with all the state, city and utility regulations that need to pass, so it might be 5 or 10 years before that could be a reality. I won’t get the Lucid home EVSE until I can hook It up to use the bidirectional feature.
Makes a lot of sense. My run was 60 feet!

Makes a lot of sense. My run was 60 feet!
That is a different story. They said if I had a long run, they would run a 100amp and a sub panel for the 50 amps (or higher if you were hardwiring , for example a 50 amp ChargePoint flex. My run was so short, it is not worth it.

if I use the 40A solution how long would it take to go from 80% up to 100% on a 756V Pure? I think that might determine for me whether I get their charging station. And of course bi-directional power.

Longer than charging from 40% to 80%. Once you get above 80% the charging gets slower and slower. Charging above 80% is generally only recommended when leaving for a long trip and charging stations are really far apart.

Longer than charging from 40% to 80%. Once you get above 80% the charging gets slower and slower. Charging above 80% is generally only recommended when leaving for a long trip and charging stations are really far apart.
Thanks. That’s why I ask. I will be wanting to do that. Will it take more that 24 hours?

Back