For comparison, Tesla Model S 2012 software update 3 months after first car shipped

PenguinOpus

Cars
2012 Model S(FE), AGT
I had serial number 20-something of the 2012 Model S and lived through the teething pains of that software/car. The Lucid Air is a much nicer car, 10 years later. IMO, the Lucid software is unreasonably slow given how fast even cheap old processors are these days. I'm attaching the PDF of the relnotes of SOP3 which came out Sept 2012, 3 months after #1 shipped in June.

Attachments

• Model S Software Upgrade SOP3.pdf
    9 MB · Views: 185
I love these sorts of historical reminders. It does help put things into perspective.

I would caution against, however, any notion that Lucid today can afford to be as bad as Tesla was then. (Not that the OP was implying that—just saying.) Lucid are a new company, and I’m willing to cut them some slack. But the fact of the matter is, they need to be as good as or better than the Tesla of today as soon as possible. They are not the first to plot this course, so they won’t be given the same benefit of the doubt by all customers (as evidenced plenty of times here on the forums). And rightfully so. They have the benefit of being able to look at all the mistakes Tesla (and every other car company) made and avoid making as least the majority of them.

And I do think they have avoided a good number of them. My Tesla is less than three years old, and it has panel gaps worse than I’ve seen on any Lucid here. The paint is universally derided as a joke on all Teslas, still. And on and on.

If we’re looking at Lucid’s long-term outlook, the important question for me is: ”Will these forums still be full of the same exact complaints a year from now?” I sincerely hope not.

Clearly even Rawlinson would have to admit (in private) that Lucid have not fully lived up to the brand so far.

Will Lucid be perfect? Well, that ship has sailed. But they really don’t have the luxury of figuring this out over the course of a decade. How fast is fast enough? A few months is unrealistic. But I’ll be seriously worried if the speed of the software (probably the number 1 issue right now) isn’t better by the end of the year.

The software was clearly an afterthought and I think something that Lucid didn’t prioritize. They were more focused on build quality and range and it was evident before the car hit production that the software was not a priority. Funnily enough, seems quality control and ramp up is failing so time spent in pre-production hasn’t seemed to help them either.

No early review of the car ever showed the software before it hit customers hands so Lucid knew it was crap. I do feel sorry for the Dream owners because they seemed to cop the short end of the stick with all the bugs and no ACC etc.

The software has room for improvement so hopefully the right resources are being applied now to get things heading in the right direction.

Every other car in this segment has ACC, lane centering, Etc. so seems a little arrogant of Lucid to not have these operational by day 1 for the price of the vehicle.

Will Lucid be perfect? Well, that ship has sailed. But they really don’t have the luxury of figuring this out over the course of a decade. How fast is fast enough? A few months is unrealistic. But I’ll be seriously worried if the speed of the software (probably the number 1 issue right now) isn’t better by the end of the year.
I think it going to take at least 2 years to iron out the details since they have so many other things to do at the same time. And right now their priority seems to be producing vehicles. (Rightfully so imho).

Usually the second generation of a car is when the potential of it is realized. Usually take 3 years for a legacy manufacturer. I think Lucid should be able to do it quicker.

The software was clearly an afterthought and I think something that Lucid didn’t prioritize. They were more focused on build quality and range and it was evident before the car hit production that the software was not a priority. Funnily enough, seems quality control and ramp up is failing so time spent in pre-production hasn’t seemed to help them either.

No early review of the car ever showed the software before it hit customers hands so Lucid knew it was crap. I do feel sorry for the Dream owners because they seemed to cop the short end of the stick with all the bugs and no ACC etc.

The software has room for improvement so hopefully the right resources are being applied now to get things heading in the right direction.

Every other car in this segment has ACC, lane centering, Etc. so seems a little arrogant of Lucid to not have these operational by day 1 for the price of the vehicle.
I am so happy that I found this forum. I agree with your post. I am Dream owner and have been very frustrated. I drive a good amount of time without using the infotainment system at all. it is just bad, no other way to say it. and, you are correct, no review showed or commented truthfully about the software. I still bought the car, and that's on me - but I do expect it work. hopefully something changes soon, or I will be forced to move on and maybe come back to the brand once all is sorted.

Back